Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 AM

116 posts, read 157,508 times

Advertisements

Canada Water Area, in South East London, I live there, it is not exactly cheap, but not too expensive either, the location is brilliant, less than 5 mins on tube to London Bridge, about 15 to Leicester Sq, and 15 to Stratford, can get to Gatwick airport in less than an hour easily, really close to farringdon, shoreditch, and other popular nightlife areas with really good night busses. Not a lot of chavs... I'd say I'm the most working class person living in the area haha, outside of the tube, the shopping centre in Surrey Quays and the Cinema, there isn't THAT much shops, but it is a booming area, and will only get better. Definately reccomend it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 04:06 PM

690 posts, read 1,201,590 times
I doubt you can get all 3. Id choose safe and cheap, but near a vibrant area.

I might like to spend the evening in a vibrant area. I certainly wouldn't want to live in one.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:57 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
Cheap and safe don't go hand in hand. You can't have it both ways.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 AM

16,655 posts, read 17,419,998 times
Mornington Crescent. No doubt about it.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:42 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,239,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasket View Post
Also, what are some areas of north London that I could afford? I have 1 girlfriend who found a job but pays £17k per year and 1 dog.

Thanks!

Wow, I've never been offered a salary and a pet. Must be a new approach to countering pay cost!

Old 11-26-2011, 01:49 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,239,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasket View Post
Vibrant popular and things within walking distance.
I've got a job oppritunity as a real estate broker in an area called "Saint Johns Wood". I would love to be in walking distance to most things like a supermarket London tube station hospital and basic necessities...
I was told that I would be making £55k-£70k per year. (depending on my experience.) I right now live in Seattle. I have lived in numerous cities New York city, San Francisco And chicago. I have dual-citizenship because my dad was born and bred in the UK. I just want to live comfortably (not like royalty lol).

55k would be fine in London. Live anywhere in zone 1 or 2 - you will always be close to a tube, bars, restaurants, supermarket etc etc. Once you move otside that area you will start to move away from what's good about London IMO.

I have just moved to the US and I would put San Fran or Chicago above London by a country mile, but if living in UK/Europe is new for you then you will love living in London.

If you are looking for something slightly cheaper then I can recommend Crouch End or Hornsey. I lived in Crouch End about 8 years ago and loved it. It's a touch into Zone 3 but you can still walk to Finsbury Park tube (zone 2), Arsenal is rightt there if you are into English football, lots of buzz in the evenings in good bars and restaurants, you can be in Paddington in 20 minutes.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:50 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
From what I can remeber from my visit to Finsbury Park it's a culturally diverse an vibrant area. Lots of vegetable stands on the streets and stuff like that. I've read that they managed to knock down a couple of high-rise projects too. So if you're looking for close proximity to city and a somewhat decent, safe and affordable place this is it from what I can remember.

I visited in 1991 so it's possible that the area has changed though.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
From what I can remeber from my visit to Finsbury Park it's a culturally diverse an vibrant area. Lots of vegetable stands on the streets and stuff like that. I've read that they managed to knock down a couple of high-rise projects too. So if you're looking for close proximity to city and a somewhat decent, safe and affordable place this is it from what I can remember.

I visited in 1991 so it's possible that the area has changed though.
I can second Whitlock's comments about Finsbury Park, as I used to live in that area. I think it's one of the most underrated parts of inner N. London. SUPER well connected - you have mainline trains into Moorgate and King's Cross, the Victoria AND the Picadilly underground lines, and a major bus terminal. You can basically get anywhere in central London in about 20 minutes.

It's also much cheaper to rent than nearby Islington or Camden Town (though still expensive - this is London after all!). It's not considered a "trendy" or "in" neighbourhood and you'll have to hop on a bus for some decent pubs or bars - but it's vibrant, friendly and has loads of streetlife - to get a good idea put "Blackstock Road" into streetview and have a look! There are loads of independant greegrocers and bakeries - I used to be able to totally avoid Tesco when doing the weekly shop.

The local demographics are a good mix of white working class English, young professionals and recent immigrants - more diverse than Camden or Islington. The Algerian/North African have made their hub at the top of Blackstock Road, and the are lots of Turks and other Muslims in the area. Greeks, Irish and Poles also. It gets more middle class and quiet the nearer down into Highbury.

CAN be a bit dangerous though - Seven Sisters Road and immediately round the station has a pretty edgy feel, particularly at night. You also hear a lot of police sirens the whole time. By all accounts it was a hell of a lot worse in 1991. However I see you're from the Bronx - so I'm sure this didn't faze you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London