U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 PM

1,784 posts, read 4,094,067 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to make a move to London with my family (myself, wife, 5-year old son). Looking to get a 3-bedroom "townhome"/house (i.e. not an apartment in the American sense), in the GBP 1,200 - 1,800 per month range. Criteria: generally decent/safe family neighborhood, decent schools, relatively easy access to Tube, greenery/parks around. Good variety of ethnic restaurants nearby is a big plus. What neighborhoods should we look at?

I've been to London quite a bit, but mainly in central London, so somewhat ignorant about the "suburbs". Have been to Muswell Hill, Finchley, and Southfields to visit family/friends, so those neighborhoods are on our list to check out. But what others should we include? Don't mind looking even in rural neighborhoods, as long as easy rail access to London is available.

We'll be in London later this week, and would like to see the neighborhoods in general -- not to see specific homes, but just to get a general sense of the areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:40 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,914,557 times
Wembley is fairly cheap and safe far from the centre though, maybe Stoke Newington fits your criteria better.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 AM

^ Thanks. Stoke Newington looks very interesting, albeit a bit expensive (just looking at rentals) -- will have to keep looking.

Also, what's a good site to find rentals? I'm using rightmove.co.uk.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM

3,661 posts, read 4,303,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^ Thanks. Stoke Newington looks very interesting, albeit a bit expensive (just looking at rentals) -- will have to keep looking.

Also, what's a good site to find rentals? I'm using rightmove.co.uk.

You could try some real estate agents own websites. Try Foxtons, Hamptons etc Just google London Estate Agents and you should be able to access their listings.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM

24 posts, read 51,108 times
Places like stoke newington are mixed neighbourhoods i.e middle class white professionals living alongside poor turks and blacks, it has a really high burglary rate and iam sure your kid wont be thanking you when he comes home after being robbed on the street for the 100th time. And stoke newingtons secondary school is well what can i say not good. Also no tube and one old poorly connected railway line. north east suburbs stay well clear, places like clapton, stamford hill,tottenham,edmonton,northumberland park.

But North London suburbs a big yes places like Finchley, crouch end, hampstead,barnet etc a big thumbs up from me. Thank me in years to come if you listen to me.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Yes, I did notice the lack of a Tube stop in Stoke Newington.

Given that my work will probably require me (at least in the beginning) to be south of the river (Vauxhall or Woking), or travel (mainly out of LHR), I think I've crossed the north off my list. Looked at the Southfields and Wimbledon areas last week and liked them in general, so we'll probably look for something there.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 AM

24 posts, read 51,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yes, I did notice the lack of a Tube stop in Stoke Newington.

Given that my work will probably require me (at least in the beginning) to be south of the river (Vauxhall or Woking), or travel (mainly out of LHR), I think I've crossed the north off my list. Looked at the Southfields and Wimbledon areas last week and liked them in general, so we'll probably look for something there.
Yea go for it, south west London on the whole has some nice areas, its south east London you want to avoid south of the river. Try areas like Twickenham or Richmond its nice around there to bring up a family.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:02 AM

320 posts, read 436,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo View Post
Yea go for it, south west London on the whole has some nice areas, its south east London you want to avoid south of the river. Try areas like Twickenham or Richmond its nice around there to bring up a family.
You're going to have to be pretty far out of central if you want a proper house for that budget. You won't get a family house in inner London for that kind of money - even in the dodgy areas like Hackney or Brixton.

Forget Richmond on the budget you suggested. It's a very smart suburb and very expensive - you'd only get a 1bed flat for the price you mentioned!

Generally if you're looking at south London suburbs - and it's very general advice - south west suburbs are middle-class or wealthy. You'll get more for your money in south east London. But it's more mixed: some parts are OK, some areas are downright dangerous and you should probably avoid if you have kids.

I've heard Brockley is good for what you want - quiet and cheap but fairly well connected and near some vibrant high streets etc.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 PM

Just to clarify, we're not look for a detached house, it can be semi-detached or terraced, as long as it has a small yard/garden.

And yes, Richmond is way too pricey. But we saw several in Southfields and Wimbledon that are good and in our range (~1,800 GBP per month), and are getting new listings almost everyday in those areas.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:55 PM

59 posts, read 165,439 times
For such a wealthy neighbourhood, Southfields has a surprisingly bad gang problem. I wouldn't bring a kid up there unless I really had no other option. Wimbledon is better, but you might think about pushing a little further south to Sutton, which is green, safe, well-connected and has (some) excellent state schools...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London