Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:13 PM

16,665 posts, read 17,430,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo View Post
£80,000 a year in London you wont have to live next to any riff raff, forget regents park why not Mayfair.
I trust that was a joke! You can pretty much forget Regents Park as well.

Ever heard of tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Chapel Hill is a university town in North Carolina, home to the University of North Carolina's flagship campus. It's in the Raleigh/Durham area and, of course, nowhere near the magnitude of London. Only NYC and L.A. can compare to London

In terms of size, yes. LA is a dump.

Any big city is a matter of taste. Having lived in London myself I would not choose to live there again over somewhere in North Carolina - the standard of living in London would be far lower.. unless you have the money to fund a similar lifestyle. North Carolina is beautiful, has city stuff if you need it and beaches. The weather is far warmer too!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,671,787 times
You can live quite nicely on 80k in London. Except that "quite nicely" depends on how you feel about having a much smaller house than you would in NC and have to put up with a lot more noise.

Regents Park isn't really "downtown" London, although it's not exactly rural either.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:30 PM

20 posts, read 94,735 times
Thanks everyone!

From your inputs and whatever little I have been able to gather after talking to people, I get a sense that the money will be enough for our lifestyle.

Regarding regents park, I get a feeling that its a choice between living in a small space.more rent.less commuting vs. moving to suburbs.less rent.more commuting. But either ways its doable and still save some money, definitely less compared to Chapel Hill, NC.

But I am getting more and more inclined towards Chapel Hill. Few years back I would have simply gone to London. Not anymore! I cant handle standing in queues, rush hours, traffic, grey skies, less money!! i would rather be in NC enjoing the good weather and saving some money for a europe vacation

Once I move there, will update you guys on how I like it in NC and if I truly like it (I will be honest)

Old 03-08-2012, 07:36 PM

46 posts, read 139,593 times
"I cant handle standing in queues, rush hours, traffic, grey skies, less money!!"
Then why even ask the question? when you have just basically said you wouldn't enjoy London for those reasons. I would personally go for it, you can't be passed the age for a real adventure if your daughter is only 16 months, best to do it now whilst your child is still young, experience the different culture, sure your home will be smaller than what you will get in NC, but that's part of living the experience and I'm sure you may get a different perspective on housing, and realize for a small family of 3 homes don't have to be in a 3000 sq ft to feel comfortable. You will be a 2 hours drive from the coast, actually the towns are seasides, a completely different experience than what you will find in the US, it takes just over 2 hours by train to get to the city of York, (North Yorkshire) and other major cities. You have Wales, Scotland next door..and of course flying around Europe is a lot cheaper than traveling around the states. Sure it's grey a lot of the time, but the culture, like pubs, nightlife, restaurants, museums, car bootsales, Sunday lunch, history, easy transportation, and architecture really sets London/UK apart from the states. Do it, experience it, and if it's not for you then you will never have the regret of not even trying.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickie74 View Post
"I cant handle standing in queues, rush hours, traffic, grey skies, less money!!"
Then why even ask the question? when you have just basically said you wouldn't enjoy London for those reasons. I would personally go for it, you can't be passed the age for a real adventure if your daughter is only 16 months, best to do it now whilst your child is still young, experience the different culture, sure your home will be smaller than what you will get in NC, but that's part of living the experience and I'm sure you may get a different perspective on housing, and realize for a small family of 3 homes don't have to be in a 3000 sq ft to feel comfortable. You will be a 2 hours drive from the coast, actually the towns are seasides, a completely different experience than what you will find in the US, it takes just over 2 hours by train to get to the city of York, (North Yorkshire) and other major cities. You have Wales, Scotland next door..and of course flying around Europe is a lot cheaper than traveling around the states. Sure it's grey a lot of the time, but the culture, like pubs, nightlife, restaurants, museums, car bootsales, Sunday lunch, history, easy transportation, and architecture really sets London/UK apart from the states. Do it, experience it, and if it's not for you then you will never have the regret of not even trying.

North Carolina is on the coast - that sure beats driving to some trashy seaside town. Aren't pubs, restaurants, nightlife and museums everywhere? As for Sunday Lunch - is that what you would consider good food??

London is great for many things. A longer term quality of life it is not, unless you make a great deal of money. Day to day, how often do people visit York? Or Wales (I can't think of why you would want to!) or Scotland?? Life tends to be the immediate vicinity for most people - the best fit is the one that best suits your lifestyle.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:24 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,156 times
People must what is right for their family situation. Maybe if they had been childless or single...

When my American cousins visited London they commented on how great it is to have railways radiating out to all parts of the country; imagine having Paris just two hours away by train.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:17 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,671,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
North Carolina is on the coast - that sure beats driving to some trashy seaside town.
NC has its own trashy seaside towns too. Both coasts have their own natural qualities. You can drive to a quiet beach in less than an hour from London, most of the population of NC lives a good 3 hours away.

Quote:
Aren't pubs, restaurants, nightlife and museums everywhere?
No, they aren't, although NC probably has a bit more than most but nowhere near as much as London.

Quote:
As for Sunday Lunch - is that what you would consider good food??
Now you've gone too far. Sunday dinner beats the socks off all other meals!

Quote:
London is great for many things. A longer term quality of life it is not, unless you make a great deal of money. Day to day, how often do people visit York? Or Wales (I can't think of why you would want to!) or Scotland?? Life tends to be the immediate vicinity for most people - the best fit is the one that best suits your lifestyle.
If it was easy to do, then it should be a no-brainer to do it if only for a short time. Being that close to so many places and cultures is great. Being able to take a short flight to Prague or Greece, or even just driving to any of the historical buildings in the UK. It's a great opportunity. But if you aren't into any of that stuff then it would be a wasted journey.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:10 AM

46 posts, read 139,593 times
Great response Transmition to Ian, I moved from the UK with a 3 and 6 year old, sure it was scary, a huge culture shock...but we gave it a chance and fell in love with California and became settled. It was about starting a new chapter in our lives, experiencing something new and different, sure we miss home all the time, who doesn't as an expat? but we wanted to do this, try it out... if it had ended up badly then we could had simply gone back home with a ton of experience and stories to tell. Yeah, I don't know why Ian would put down a British Sunday Lunch...guessing his mum must had burnt his Yorkshire puddings.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickie74 View Post
Great response Transmition to Ian, I moved from the UK with a 3 and 6 year old, sure it was scary, a huge culture shock...but we gave it a chance and fell in love with California and became settled. It was about starting a new chapter in our lives, experiencing something new and different, sure we miss home all the time, who doesn't as an expat? but we wanted to do this, try it out... if it had ended up badly then we could had simply gone back home with a ton of experience and stories to tell. Yeah, I don't know why Ian would put down a British Sunday Lunch...guessing his mum must had burnt his Yorkshire puddings.

Haha - thats funny! I just think that Sunday lunch is what - meat and boiled veg!! Its boring and really not good. But, each to his/her own..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London