U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 AM

20 posts, read 80,049 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are a family of three, me, my husband and our 16 month old daughter. We have an option to move to either Chapel Hill, US or London, UK. I have the following questions regarding moving to London:

1. Is 80000-85000 annually a good salary to live comfortably in London? I would prefer to live close to Regent's Park (essentially donwtown London - I am not familiar with London at all!).

2. How much, if at all, will we be able to save? I count our expenses as rent, grocery, full time day care for my daughter, utilities, misc.shopping, tube/bus pass vs. buying a car.

3. I will have a work visa too. Given the economy right now, how feasible it is for someone with a non-UK/US degree (I am MBA from a not so elite business school in India) to get a job? And what can I salary can I expect?

I am in dire need of this info. Any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 AM

5,599 posts, read 7,453,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiall View Post
Hi

We are a family of three, me, my husband and our 16 month old daughter. We have an option to move to either Chapel Hill, US or London, UK. I have the following questions regarding moving to London:

1. Is 80000-85000 annually a good salary to live comfortably in London? I would prefer to live close to Regent's Park (essentially donwtown London - I am not familiar with London at all!).

2. How much, if at all, will we be able to save? I count our expenses as rent, grocery, full time day care for my daughter, utilities, misc.shopping, tube/bus pass vs. buying a car.

3. I will have a work visa too. Given the economy right now, how feasible it is for someone with a non-UK/US degree (I am MBA from a not so elite business school in India) to get a job? And what can I salary can I expect?

Thanks in advance,
You say you don't have a job lined up and don't know what salary to expect so where does this figure of 80,000 a year come from? Most people don't earn anywhere near that and still get by, so most likely you could (and probably would have to!) too.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 AM

25,063 posts, read 21,105,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
You say you don't have a job lined up and don't know what salary to expect so where does this figure of 80,000 a year come from? Most people don't earn anywhere near that and still get by, so most likely you could (and probably would have to!) too.
I was confused too. The only people that make 80k in this country seem to be GPs working for the NHS

Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 AM

4,663 posts, read 6,925,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiall View Post
Hi

Thanks in advance,

Have you got an offer? 80k is a lot of money - certainly enough to rent comfortably and have a nice disposable income. Not enough to own a nice home though - that is the one area in London reserved for people making a lot more than 80k.

If you have offers in both places, personally I would go for Chapel Hill (as long as you mean the one in North Carolina). It is far far cheaper, a gorgeous state, and even on $80k you would be far better off financially than in London.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 PM

Sorry about the confusion guys!

My husband has a job offer in hand. While I am in doubt about my prospects of getting a job.

My husband is into academics.

Sincere thanks for your inputs.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:46 PM

*academia*

Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,745,231 times
I wouldn't compare the two options based on income.

You either want the cultural experience of being in one of the world's great cities, and will adjust your lifestyle accordingly, or you don't. I have never heard of Chapel Hill, so cannot comment on its comparative merits.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:10 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,739,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post

You either want the cultural experience of being in one of the world's great cities, and will adjust your lifestyle accordingly, or you don't. I have never heard of Chapel Hill, so cannot comment on its comparative merits.
North Carolina is beautiful - but I agree that the chance to live in a world class city like London is not an opportunity to be thrown over for somewhere in the USA that they could move to at any point anyways.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:10 AM

25,063 posts, read 21,105,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post

Chapel Hill is a university town in North Carolina, home to the University of North Carolina's flagship campus. It's in the Raleigh/Durham area and, of course, nowhere near the magnitude of London. Only NYC and L.A. can compare to London

Old 03-04-2012, 12:27 PM

24 posts, read 75,448 times
80,000 a year in London you wont have to live next to any riff raff, forget regents park why not Mayfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or