U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-25-2012, 01:02 AM

23,511 posts, read 27,489,120 times
Post Big Ben may be renamed to honor queen.

LONDON, March 24 (UPI) -- A group of British legislators want to rename one of London's most famous landmarks, Big Ben, to honor Queen Elizabeth II.

In an early day motion, a term for a single-sentence motion that is tabled and rarely comes up for debate, 23 members of Parliament said renaming the east tower of the Houses of Parliament the Elizabeth Tower would be an appropriate gesture in her Diamond Jubilee Year, The Guardian reported Friday.

Read more: Big Ben may be renamed to honor queen - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-25-2012, 01:39 AM

4,125 posts, read 2,777,896 times
It wouldn't really be renaming Big Ben - Big Ben is the bell, not the tower it's kept in.

Unread 03-25-2012, 01:56 AM

9,213 posts, read 5,002,439 times
I've always known the tower as St Stephen's Tower, and as ben says it's the bell that is Big Ben.

Am I fussed at the proposed name change? Not really.

People are not really fussed about the royal family these days. QEII has done a good job holding together a fragmenting Commenwealth and UK, but I'm not looking forward to Charlie getting the job.

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:36 AM

3,312 posts, read 3,588,350 times
Two words: absolutely disgusting.

What on earth are these morons thinking? The Queen is just a person who has accomplished nothing for the greater good. She hasn't created jobs, industry or been innovative in any way. She hadn't pushed for human rights, equal rights, gay rights or anything of the like. The country is worse off because of a weird archaic belief that people in the UK are not born equal, and that it is somehow not only acceptable, but a good thing to be born into power and wealth regardless of credibility. It is immoral how on group of people can be bestowed with worship and unlimited resources whilst others live in poverty. The biggest moral test came when Britain was facing a choice of going to war in Iraq - how did the Queen perform then?

Westminster's history dates back to the eleventh century. Naming any part of it after an undemocratic symbol is a travesty. Personally, I hope it comes as an opportunity for republicans to be able to voice their opposition accross the media - an opportunity that is rare given the BBC and the rest of the British medua's gushing and pathetic coverage of the monarch.

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:47 AM

2,667 posts, read 1,916,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Two words: absolutely disgusting.

What on earth are these morons thinking? The Queen is just a person who has accomplished nothing for the greater good. She hasn't created jobs, industry or been innovative in any way. She hadn't pushed for human rights, equal rights, gay rights or anything of the like. The country is worse off because of a weird archaic belief that people in the UK are not born equal, and that it is somehow not only acceptable, but a good thing to be born into power and wealth regardless of credibility. It is immoral how on group of people can be bestowed with worship and unlimited resources whilst others live in poverty. The biggest moral test came when Britain was facing a choice of going to war in Iraq - how did the Queen perform then?

Westminster's history dates back to the eleventh century. Naming any part of it after an undemocratic symbol is a travesty. Personally, I hope it comes as an opportunity for republicans to be able to voice their opposition accross the media - an opportunity that is rare given the BBC and the rest of the British medua's gushing and pathetic coverage of the monarch.
Agreed 100%. Hopefully this will add some fuel to the fire of the republican movement though. I personally think its a disgrace and will serve as nothing more than another symbol of class division; something that I wish Britain would move away from.

"Here, you were born into privilege, so because of that, you get a palace and one of the most famous landmarks in Britain named after you."

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:48 AM

4,125 posts, read 2,777,896 times
^^^ Zzzzz, do you do anything other than rant on and moan about anything part of British culture? Have you really nothing better to do than shove your cynicism and negativity down our throats? Moderator:snip

Last edited by sunshineleith; 03-26-2012 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Unread 03-25-2012, 01:36 PM

969 posts, read 1,563,654 times
Oh Lordy Lordy. Do Americans think we care about nothing but the royals and Big bloody Ben?

Oh, and the word is honour in this country.

Unread 03-25-2012, 03:22 PM

3,312 posts, read 3,588,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Oh Lordy Lordy. Do Americans think we care about nothing but the royals and Big bloody Ben?

Oh, and the word is honour in this country.

No, I don't think Americans spare much of a thought about what Brits do or don't care about. Its a fair and present topic.

And its Honor in this one.

Unread 03-26-2012, 02:08 AM

3,062 posts, read 3,543,135 times
Well. That was fun. Can we all now act like adults and discuss it rationally?

Unread 03-26-2012, 02:40 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,356,967 times
In all honesty I don't see what difference it makes.

As someone else pointed out, Big Ben is the bell.
From what I remember from school, the tower isn't officially named St Stephens, that was a nickname by journalists which stuck.
I was under the impression that it was just the "Clock tower".

No feelings about the Queen either way, I don't think she's done much for us and is just a figurehead ruler, but I guess the longest reigning monarch should be honoured in some way.

How many Victoria Terraces are there, or Albert Street ?
We have the King Edward school, the Queen Mary liner.

Personally speaking, it would make no difference at all to anybody's life if they were to do this, the tower will look the same and life will go on as normal.

I think there are more important things to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London