Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 12:35 PM

413 posts, read 877,899 times

Advertisements

My anniversary gift is a January trip to London. We lived there in the 80's
and LOVED the West End. Can you recommend a few productions?
We'd prefer one without tons of violence and rough language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:05 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
London Theatre Guide - Online and London Theatre Tickets
http://www.londonboxoffice.co.uk/sea...w/2013/01/02/2

Hedda Gabler is getting rave reviews. If you haven't already seen it, The Lion King is spectacular. And there's The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie - the world's longest running play.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:09 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,783 times
It's a shame you missed 'Long Day's Journey Into Night' at the Apollo which ended in August. One of my favourite plays and one of the best American plays of the 20th Century.

Currently at this present moment there is alot of hype surrounding Stephen Fry's comeback in Shakespeare's Twelth Night which is obviously a must see if you are a Shakespeare fan but if not obviously you may want to look for something else. Shakespeare's Globe (not too far from Kevin Spacey's Old Vic) is another venue that does Shakespeare all year round:-
Stephen Fry in Twelfth Night, Globe Theatre, first review - Telegraph

Talking of the Old Vic if you're a fan of the genre classic American musical 'Kiss Me Kate' will be playing at the Old Vic in January. And there isn't a better time of year to be in the Old Vic which is a remarkably comfortable venue to get relief from the biting January cold. It briefly premiered in July at the Chichester Festival:- http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2012...chester-review

If you're looking for a family show then you must see Philp Ridley's world Premiere of 'Feathers In The Snow' at the Southwark Playhouse. The Theatre is a cosy little venue under the arches of London bridge and right next to a London pub so be careful you don't walk past it. I'll be seeing the show myself in early December. Always good value tickets here are £16, £14 or £50 if you have a large family. This will be the last show here before the Theatre temporarily relocates to a new venue:-
Feathers in the Snow by Philip Ridley at Southwark Playhouse

This is a real family show and a magical story that should appeal to adults and children alike. If you're interested check the Southwark Playhouse website:- Southwark Playhouse - Theatre + Bar

These are the shows that I know will be on at the time you will be staying here and it goes without saying that Shakespeare performances are on all year round at the Globe but please scour the London newspapers guides for the Culture sections before you come to make certain that you will find something for your taste.

Another reccomendation is 'The Mystery Of Charles Dickens' which is on at the Playhouse Theatre. Not sure how long this show is running but if you follow the links on WhatsOnStage you will be able to have a good browse and hopefully find something sccording to your taste. I haven't yet seen this production but have booked tickets for next week:- The Mystery of Charles Dickens Reviews at Playhouse Theatre - London - Whatsonstage.com

Old 10-20-2012, 01:15 PM

670 posts, read 905,384 times
There is an abundance of great fringe productions all over London too.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,162 times
I watched Lion King, Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables. I highly recommend the Phantom of the Opera.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 PM

413 posts, read 877,899 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you all for your help. I am truly grateful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London