Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:12 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times

Advertisements

^Exactly.

IMO London is the greatest city in the world.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:19 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
NYC is the world's greatest city. Fairly substantial gap between NYC and London, IMO. NYC is much bigger, richer and more important.

Tokyo would probably be a strong #2. Paris is about even with London for Europe. I prefer Paris over London because it's much denser and more urban, but I could see them about even overall. London has certain advantages over Paris too.

Also, this whole thread confirms that London is not the world's greatest city. If you need articles making reasons why you're something, then you know it isn't true. NYC would never have such a list, and wouldn't give a hoot either way.
Why do you say this exactly - just your opinion perhaps? Do you have anything to back up these claims? Is the truth of it that NYC would never have such a list because it cant? You seem to be an 'expert' on all these cities can you tell us more perhaps?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 AM

517 posts, read 1,704,524 times
I haven't read all this thread so I'm just dropping in.

I have no special love for London anymore, because I think it's congested, overpriced and a museum piece.

But having said that, I still think of London as the greatest city in the world for all sorts of reasons. I've not been to NYC, but I have been all over Europe and to Chicago and L.A. I've never found a city that even comes close to London, because there is simply so much culture, architecture, style and history. London is undeniably "where it's at" for intelligent and creative people. No where else has the vibe.

London wins.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Also, this whole thread confirms that London is not the world's greatest city. If you need articles making reasons why you're something, then you know it isn't true. NYC would never have such a list, and wouldn't give a hoot either way.
You mean, NYC would never have a list like this:

Six Reasons Why New York Is the Best City in the World - Adventure Travel Blog & Adventure Travel Advice

Or an article like this:

Why NYC is the greatest city in the world

Or one like this:

The Case For New York City As Greatest City In The World

Or this:

Why New York is the Best City in the World - Apartments in New York | NYC accommodation | Rentals NYC

?

I'm fairly confident that, over the past century or so, NYC has been the world's most important city. But the idea that New Yorkers are so assured of their city's preeminence that they need give the matter no further thought or expostulation is plainly absurd

Old 03-07-2014, 11:29 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
You mean, NYC would never have a list like this:

Six Reasons Why New York Is the Best City in the World - Adventure Travel Blog & Adventure Travel Advice

Or an article like this:

Why NYC is the greatest city in the world

Or one like this:

The Case For New York City As Greatest City In The World

Or this:

Why New York is the Best City in the World - Apartments in New York | NYC accommodation | Rentals NYC

?

I'm fairly confident that, over the past century or so, NYC has been the world's most important city. But the idea that New Yorkers are so assured of their city's preeminence that they need give the matter no further thought or expostulation is plainly absurd
In the end it's all a matter of opinion. You think it's NY, I think it's London. Fine

Old 03-08-2014, 11:36 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
It is based on the cost of the taxi, a new LTI TX4 is around £36,700, or $60,750. and the cost of diesel, £1.36 per gallon, or around $2.20.
In addition to that, the driver will almost certainly just nod his head, or say, "Got it" when you state your destination, and go straight there, to me that is priceless.
ignore the cretins who say otherwise, 99 times out of 100 the "black cab" driver will know the quickest, shortest route to your destination,
all he's interested in is getting you there, getting paid, then getting another fare.
You could use a minicab if you wish, they are legal now, but they are a completely different ball game to the real deal,
take their Sat-Navs away and they'd be lost, it's like comparing the Pioneer Corps to the SAS, or a Mall cop to a Green Beret.
That's very interesting. I'm reading a book called "Londoners" by Canadian expat Craig Taylor, and in one of the interview stories in the book, he interviewed a black cab driver and the driver discussed how the cab drivers are required to take a test within a certain timeframe and learn every single square inch of Greater London. With as big as London is, it seems like that knowledge test can be extremely rigorous.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:10 AM

431 posts, read 474,590 times
[quote=Nunnor;26970777]London is one of the greatest cities in the world, but New York is #1.

Sorry, but I dislike the British accent, Left-side drive, the weather, high taxes.[/quote

im british living here since 1977
i dislike junk food like beef jerkys .hot dogs etc american beer , baseball world series thats only played by *american teams * mispelling of words ( its our language ) other than than i love *america* glad i came and took citizenship lol

Old 03-09-2014, 12:14 AM

431 posts, read 474,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
I haven't read all this thread so I'm just dropping in.

I have no special love for London anymore, because I think it's congested, overpriced and a museum piece.

But having said that, I still think of London as the greatest city in the world for all sorts of reasons. I've not been to NYC, but I have been all over Europe and to Chicago and L.A. I've never found a city that even comes close to London, because there is simply so much culture, architecture, style and history. London is undeniably "where it's at" for intelligent and creative people. No where else has the vibe.

London wins.
i agree

Old 03-09-2014, 11:16 AM

872 posts, read 1,385,503 times
New York seems like a decent contender for greatest city on the earth from the air.

At ground level, however, I found it very disappointing and underwhelming.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,524 times
I'd love to visit NY just to see for myself what it's like. From what I've seen in the media it looks very similar to London but without the history. I could never live in NY though with that kind of extreme weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London