Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 AM

32 posts, read 65,767 times

Advertisements

I'm just trying to figure out if we can make a train from London Euston at 9:45 AM, as our plane gets into London Heathrow at 7:30. I've never flown out of the country so I have no experience with customs. What is the average wait time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
It could take you an hour just to get from the airport to Euston after you get thro immigration and customs. Immigration will probably take longer than customs even if you don't have anything to declare and can go straight thro the Green line.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayedog View Post
I'm just trying to figure out if we can make a train from London Euston at 9:45 AM, as our plane gets into London Heathrow at 7:30. I've never flown out of the country so I have no experience with customs. What is the average wait time?
Get the Heathrow Express to Paddington. It takes only 15 minutes. About 15 minutes to or from Heathrow Central (Terminals 1 and 3) – add six minutes for Terminal 5. For Terminal 4 connections, it takes around 25 minutes.

I wouldn't recommend walking the Marylebone and Euston Roads as they are jam packed and extremely busy and this would take around 45 minutes at least especially with luggage.

From Paddington you can get the Hammersmith & City Line on the underground to Euston Square. Ask for guidance and a map but basically make sure you are on the train heading towards Kings Cross and not Hammersmith. From Euston Square you are within short walking distance of Euston Station (about 200m).

Given unforeseen delays I think you'll be alright. You should make that train in decent time. You could take the Piccadilly Line to Leicester Square from Heathrow and change for the short journey to Euston. But this takes around 65 minutes and would probably mean you would miss the train.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayedog View Post
It's cutting it way too close. There are so many factors that can make you late (e.g. you may be scheduled to land at 7:30 but if you are in a holding pattern over Heathrow to land or late taking off (or both) you could easily add time on there. Immigration lines - no way to tell, then you have to get the luggage - that isn't always smooth, then at least an hour to get to Euston.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Get the Paddington express to Paddington then I suggest a taxi from Paddington to Euston the underground can be a nightmare with luggage.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
If you can get British pounds from your local bank before you travel it may save time at Heathrow if there are lines at the ATMs. (NB you cannot use dollars in the UK - you must have pounds)

Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 PM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I wouldn't put money on making that on time.

You often arrive earlier than the posted time but there is absolutely no guarantee of that.

Customs is variable depending in part on what other aircraft are arriving.

There are quite a few variables in that schedule.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 PM

32 posts, read 65,767 times
After reading the responses, we'll probably shoot for closer to 11 or 12. Thanks.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 PM

You'll also have to fill in a landing card that will be given to you by the cabin crew.

Make sure you get one when they are handing them out. UK citizens won't need one.

Make sure you fill it in absolutely correctly- ask for at least two copies per person in case of messing it up.

UK Border Agency | If you are not a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland

Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 AM

Another thought, and although it may sound silly it is not.

When crossing our roads bear a couple of things in mind.

Drivers have less respect for pedestrians than they do in the US.

In Texas you can walk through a plaza car park in the reasonable knowledge that cars will give way to you- at least in the ones that I have witnessed.

Over here you need to watch out as they do not in general give way unless you are on a pedestrian crossing- and then still keep your wits about you.

Secondly we do drive on the left so you need to look out for that when crossing.

In a previous post I mentioned about an American tourist who died on the road that was at the side of Stonehenge.

That road finally closed a few weeks ago- about flipping time- but this highlights the dangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London