Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Or maybe they are just conservative and are fed up of other cultures taking over this country and just so you know my sisters baby is half african.
Taking over? So because of a FUSION of culturals they are OK being racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardb93 View Post
To put it very stereotypically and a bit racially. Suburbs of SW London/Surrey are very well spoken and majority white. Move about 3/4 miles into London and the accent becomes not as well spoken and a bit more 'common'. The racial demographic shifts slightly and there will be more Afro-Carribean people. Obviously somewhere posh such as Kensington will tend to have a very well spoken accent.

So simply, outside of London, 'posh' accents
Inner London, 'common' accents except for the odd area.
I know you say "to put it very stereotypically", but even then it's such an overgeneralisation I feel it's almost meaningless - it's clear you don't know London well at all - or at least haven't been here since about 1975.

Some SW London suburbs and Surrey commuter towns are posh but some are not and other downright grotty. Ever been to Morden, or Woking! Many other zone 3/suburban areas of Greater London are very poor and anything but posh. Even the richer suburbs are really middle class suburban - real posh people either live in Chelsea, or in the Oxfordshire countryside. They do not live in suburbia.

And inner London to some extent is posher than outer. Where do the rich kids hang out now? Chelsea, Clapham, Islington, Camden... Not Walthamstow, or Staines, or High Barnet!

And you're very wrong to equate race and accent so heavily. London has posh Black people, cockney-sounding Black people, and Jafaican-sounding Blacks. It also has Jafaican-speaking Whites, cockney Turks and E. Europeans who have picked up a sort of Aussie twang. I could go on!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
Totally wrong, and it looks like you haven't even read any of the other threads on here.

What qualifies you answer a question about London anyway, I thought you lived in Northern Ireland? I'd never dream of pontificating on issues that come up about there.

Honestly, anyone who knows anything about London will tell you that there is enormous variety in accent/dialect amoung its residents. It's the most diverse city in Europe for heaven's sakes... how could it not!
Well i'm thinking about the natives not some migrant who came from India a year ago.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Taking over? So because of a FUSION of culturals they are OK being racist?
They aren't being racists.

If you were a native white brit who has been living in England all of your life and seen that your neighbourhood was being eroded because of these annoying immigrants who have only came in the past couple of years and refuse to go into the local culture you'd be mad too. Personally I think that migrants should just stay in their own country. I know thats hypocritical of me wanting to move to america but I and other white people would actually be bringing something useful to the country in the form of money and degrees.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM

No there are certain whites who are plain snobby, racist and judgemental that look down their noses at people of all races as well as recent immigrants. Btw the country's culture is alive and well. Also there are many whites who love cultural mixes. I for one dislike immigrants who separate themselves.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 PM

If you came from a traditional british family i think maybe youd understand their views. I think you mean stuck up when you say snobby. Snobby means rich and well rich people are more reserved than that.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Snobby doesn't mean rich.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 PM

Yes it does.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM

352 posts, read 416,310 times
Quote:
Yes it does.
Ok course it doesn't.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Yes it does.
A snob is someone who patronise, be-little people who they consider inferior to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London