Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 01:43 PM

78 posts, read 110,917 times

Advertisements

i will be visiting London for the first time from the states this summer and need some suggestions on the best things to do. any suggestions would be appreciated. also any tips on manners or etiquette that may not be so common in the US as the UK would be helpful. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Tip: If they tell you the time is half/number, ie, half six... then it's 6:30.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
When you're crossing a street, there are signs painted on the curb to look to the right, with an arrow. Heed this!! The oncoming traffic is coming from the right (unless you're on a one-way street and the arrow is pointing the other way.)

On escalators, if you are standing/riding on them, stand on the right. There will be many people rushing to get by you on the left. If you are with someone, don't stand side by side -- single file to leave that lane clear!

Pedestrian traffic in corridors (tube corridors) goes forward on the left, same as vehicular traffic. You will get run over by people if you attempt to walk on the right side.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:59 PM

994 posts, read 1,236,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaddict View Post
i will be visiting London for the first time from the states this summer and need some suggestions on the best things to do. any suggestions would be appreciated. also any tips on manners or etiquette that may not be so common in the US as the UK would be helpful. thanks!
Say 'please' and 'thankyou' and close your mouth when you're eating.

ONLY JOKING

I don't think you'll need to adjust too much about yourself - it's hard to stand out very much in London, as in other big, diverse cities.

I would recommend climbing up The Monument, just by the north side of London Bridge.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
I would recommend you buy an Oyster card, this gives you free or cheaper fares on the London underground, some bus routes and also the river bus system (which by the way is a great way to see London).

Places to visit:
Tower of London
Greenwich Maritime museum (ticket also includes the Cutty Sark tall ship and the Prime Meridian exhibitions)
Westminster Abbey and the Palace of Westminster (houses of parliament),
St. Pauls Cathedral,
The London Eye, I'm not great with heights but this was fantastic.
A walk through St.James' Park to watch the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.
Trafalgar Square
If you like museums, Victoria & Albert and Natural History museums are great.

You might also consider taking a day trip out of London, Oxford is an hour away and is served by bus and train.

You will find you don't need to tip in most restaurants.
Like another poster said, always look RIGHT when you cross the road.

Most of all enjoy London !

London underground map: http://www.londontown.com/TubeMaps/TubeMapPDF2008.pdf
River Bus: www.thamesclippers.com
Bus to Oxford: http://www.oxfordtube.com/?accept=perm

Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 AM

670 posts, read 905,166 times
Quote:
Etiquette? Don't forget to curtsey or bow.

Oh and when you eat, the knife is used to push food on to your fork....

Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 PM

^^^ good one. i was thinking more along the lines of cultural differences. for example, in some european countries, its common courtesy to greet the shop keeper while entering. this is a practice that isn't common in the states. see, not everything is the same in your country as it is every were else.. but too everyone else who was capable of answering the question, thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
^^^ good one. i was thinking more along the lines of cultural differences. for example, in some european countries, its common courtesy to greet the shop keeper while entering. this is a practice that isn't common in the states. see, not everything is the same in your country as it is every were else.. but too everyone else who was capable of answering the question, thanks for the ideas and suggestions.
A good piece of genuine cultural advice, then, would be to lighten up and try to have a sense of humour

Old 03-27-2013, 04:12 PM

sorry. i was having a rough night. apologize to Kaylene0.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
sorry. i was having a rough night. apologize to Kaylene0.
I'm sure all will be forgiven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London