Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,008 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start this thread after reading another one currently going on, started by someone looking to move to London from the States.

That poster had a budget for accommodation of around £1000 per month, and wanted to know what would be available. 'Not much' seemed to be most people's advice; 'try looking out in zone 4 or 5, somewhere like Dagenam', suggested another.

Here is a link to two bedroom flats currently available in the SE19 area of London, which is to the south in zone 3:

2+ bedroom property to rent in SE19 - 2 bed flats & houses to rent in SE19 - Zoopla

As you'll see, many flats are available for £950 to £1000 per month. They may not be palatial, but I immediately recognised some streets and buildings as places I know and would happily live. SE19 - aka Crystal Palace and environs - is a leafy inner suburb, not posh but probably on the trendy side of normal, with good train links to the rest of London.

The broader point I'd like to make is that I think people on modest - or rather, typical - incomes, visiting this site, could be wrongly put off coming to London by the incorrect impression that it is purely a city for the rich. There are often threads started by people with questions like 'will a salary of £85,000 per year be enough in London'. The fact is, the median income here is somewhat under £30,000.

London is an expensive city, and there is a real fight going on to stop it becoming ever-more so. But for the time being, it is still somewhere where many pretty ordinary people enjoy a great standard of living - if you can accept the sacrificises of big-city life, you'll also find there are many things to enjoy that don't exist anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 AM

16,667 posts, read 17,430,851 times
Good idea for a thread.

If you keep away from the tourist areas London can be less expensive than places like where I live in the sticks.

An example is pubs where beer and pub grub can be found for far less than in mid Southern England.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:14 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,276 times
Some years I ago I rented a bedsit in Islington for £75 p/w.

ok, it was freezing and the resident mouse was happier there than I was, but £300 p/m to live in Islington was easily done.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times
London is a wonderful city but the "real" London (or center if you will) exists inside zones 1 & 2. You can find accomodation for the prices you mention but most people find that they can get more for their money in towns outside London with commutes that are just as easy as living in zone 3. Life in central London is very expensive mainly due to the cost of housing, which has become insane. It barely dropped, if at all during the recession. The cost of entertainment and dining isn't bad and is comparable with any other major city.

I have friends who make great salaries in London but will never ever afford any space there. I lived in Crouch End for a while and loved it, but in the end found that the cost just wasnt worth it.

It's a great place for apartment living but property ownership (for anything other than a small apartment) is now reserved for the super rich.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/wo...anted=all&_r=0

Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 AM

112 posts, read 353,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
I thought I'd start this thread after reading another one currently going on, started by someone looking to move to London from the States.

That poster had a budget for accommodation of around £1000 per month, and wanted to know what would be available. 'Not much' seemed to be most people's advice; 'try looking out in zone 4 or 5, somewhere like Dagenam', suggested another.

Here is a link to two bedroom flats currently available in the SE19 area of London, which is to the south in zone 3:

2+ bedroom property to rent in SE19 - 2 bed flats & houses to rent in SE19 - Zoopla

As you'll see, many flats are available for £950 to £1000 per month. They may not be palatial, but I immediately recognised some streets and buildings as places I know and would happily live. SE19 - aka Crystal Palace and environs - is a leafy inner suburb, not posh but probably on the trendy side of normal, with good train links to the rest of London.

The broader point I'd like to make is that I think people on modest - or rather, typical - incomes, visiting this site, could be wrongly put off coming to London by the incorrect impression that it is purely a city for the rich. There are often threads started by people with questions like 'will a salary of £85,000 per year be enough in London'. The fact is, the median income here is somewhat under £30,000.

London is an expensive city, and there is a real fight going on to stop it becoming ever-more so. But for the time being, it is still somewhere where many pretty ordinary people enjoy a great standard of living - if you can accept the sacrificises of big-city life, you'll also find there are many things to enjoy that don't exist anywhere else.
Lmao!
That's if you consider living beyond zone 3 as "living in London".
Central London, and MAYBE zone 2 is real London, and nobody can afford to live there.

I lived in many European major cities (Vienna, Paris, Munich) and always lived in what would be the equivalent of "central London" (zone 1), without it costing an arm and a leg and living in shanty houses with 5 or more flatmates (Bearing in Mind I have what would be considered A GOOD JOB)
The only benefit to this city is if you want to be a banker or if you genuinely like living there even in overcrowded flatshares. Some like it. Mostly artists and so on.

Personally I cant wait to get out. Its just not worth it to me.
And from my experience most English people (not Euros like me) cant wait to get out aswell (and buy reasonable property in other UK cities).

My 5 cents!

Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,671,787 times
Most of the questions about London come from Americans. Most Americans from outside the larger cities would be surprised by the size (and to a lesser extent condition) of the cheaper flats. You can get much nicer and bigger places the further out you go. But that is just accommodation, there are also food, transport and entertainment costs, which are also very high. But anyone with an 85k salary is not going to do too poorly anyhow.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 6,246 times
Hi,

We want to move to London with family, family of 4, 2 kids, me and my husband. How much a person should earn monthly for a normal living? My husband is coming there on a student visa. Can he afford a family, Please help me out

Old 07-12-2014, 12:32 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
Some years I ago I rented a bedsit in Islington for £75 p/w.

ok, it was freezing and the resident mouse was happier there than I was, but £300 p/m to live in Islington was easily done.
Some years ago is the crucial factor, I think you'd be pretty hard pushed to find something similar now.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 11,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post

I agree. There are too many people who think that London is the most expensive English city. They're all wrong.

It isn't really an English city is it.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:29 PM

34 posts, read 46,344 times
Lol @ Alan, it barely feels part of the UK in places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London