Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 01:35 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,840,411 times

Advertisements

Why the dislike , and it seems to be just one way, Northerners dislike for Londoners , is it jealousy, would it be the different accents , I don't live in either place but I read enough about the dislike and don't get it, your all Brits. After all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 02:23 PM

16,549 posts, read 17,317,336 times
Don't believe everything you read.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:27 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,891,268 times
I have 'Northern' friends and family - I didn't realise they all disliked me! :-(

Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,929,426 times
Never heard of this before. I doubt it's that serious.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:33 AM

785 posts, read 1,872,230 times
If you were to believe everything that you hear or read then you might think that all people everywhere hate all people everywhere else.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:17 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,426,695 times
Is anyone else tired of these asinine questions?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:32 AM

22,139 posts, read 29,458,691 times
It's just banter when it occurs. Some people in the North like to joke about Londoners being pretentious, rude or snobby and that they all talk in cockney rhyming slang. This occurs in a lot of countries about their capital cities - in France and Sweden for example. Likewise, some people in London/the South joke about northerners being uneducated, wearing flat caps and having whippets and so on.

Very, very few people actually hate Londoners - some hate London, but then a lot of people in London hate London too, because it's too big, too expensive, too crowded and so on. As a Northerner, I love London and think it is a real asset to the UK.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:57 AM

16,549 posts, read 17,317,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Is anyone else tired of these asinine questions?
Yes.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:16 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,014,278 times
There are people around who actually despise Londoners. I once had a friend who attended Manchester University and when he was travelling home with a scouse friend (Liverpudlian) tried to stop his friend from being targeted as there is a rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester especially surrounding the football fixture.

When he did so he got a punch in the mouth for his troubles and his scouse friend caught the second blow. "Two for the price of one" the Manc wide boy crowed. "I hate scousers and I hate cockneys even more" was his sneering battle cry so of course there are some northerners who feel this way towards Londoners.

Also, many believe the media to be very London-centric with the plight of neglected towns and cities often ignored in favour of coverage of issues concerning London and the South-East. And to be fair there is an element of truth to the media's London-centric bias just as politicians are often primarily pre-occupied with issues that mean more inside 'the Westminster bubble' than more pressing concerns that are often side-swept or routinely ignored.

It isn't all one way either. Londoners in general can be very ignorant about life outside the big smoke and the old adage "It's grim up north" once painted on a wall or on a bridge somewhere north of the Watford Gap on the motorway encapsulated the disregard many southerners once had for life north of the commuter belt of London and many still subscribe to the old adage when confronted with the chilling prospect of a night out in Grimsby, Stoke or Bradford.

Also, I've heard people who live as far north of London as Welwyn Garden City claim to be from north London and I once attended a Watford game with a friend of mine who was a Watford fan in Blackpool and many of them broke into the "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner" song (even though Watford is in Hertfordshire not London) in very contrived mockney accents (which appeared to become more heightened with every swig of beer). Something happens to people from the South-East when they travel up north, something that some northerners find extremely irritating. And to be honest I can't blame them.

There is certainly a political divide and I've always found that invariably social attitudes up north vary greatly to those of Londoners and the ever expanding commuter belt encompassing 'motorway towns' such as Milton Keynes and London Colney which are seen as increasingly decisive areas as far as General Elections are concerned.

As for hatred of southerners being one way traffic this is often an accusation thrown at "chippy" Scots especially as far as football is concerned. Southern snobbery versus northern envy are the stereotypical caricatures often used to characterise this gulf and as with a lot of clichés there is an element of truth to this rivalry.

Northerners for example have been known to deride "poncy, shandy sipping southern softies" whilst southerners have been known to revel in either their sophisticated superiority or their indignant "it's all the same innit" ambivalence towards anything that occurs north of the Watford Gap.

To summarise yes there are northerners who hate Londoners and Londoners who begin to feel queasy as soon as they get putside the M25.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 PM

10,489 posts, read 6,100,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
There are people around ......
I think this is a great, honest post.
Yes there are a few ignoramuses who despise Londoners and vice versa.
Note I said a few. There are arseholes wherever you go in life, that doesn't mean they represent the majority. Most people would look upon such ignorance as exactly that - ignorance.

There's what I'd call 'friendly rivalries' that exist all over the UK. Most of them stem from football rivalries.
Portsmouth / Southhampton, Liverpool / Manchester. But I'm a Liverpuddlian married to a Mancunian so there you go.

I lived in Whitstable for many years, - its a seaside town about an hours drive South-east of London. We used to call the visiting Londoners 'DFLs' (down from London) - these Londoners started buying up holiday cottages in the town that they'd only visit twice a year so there was a bit of ill feeling about that, but again more tongue-in-cheek than anything.

I imagine this kind of thing exists all over the world doesn't it?
I visited Seattle this year and discovered there is a similar friendly rivalry between Seattle and Portland.

As Dunno said its usually more friendly banter when it happens.

Here's a comedy interlude from Peter Kay:

Peter Kay - Has tha nowt moist - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London