Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 04:38 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,576 times

Advertisements

600K??

I think they might have miscalculated the consequences somewhat.

It was bad enough 5 years ago, with the population england had. Now watch the problems go through the roof for the overstretched public services such as hospitals, public transport and then you have the overburdened roads.

Very typical and a quick fix to problems.

Ohh wells, thats just how it goes, INNIT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 05:31 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
You may have met rough around the edges working class people. Pikeys?

Seems that's mostly what's up north.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:22 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I found it to be the opposite; people up north were astonishingly rude and coarse whereas people in the south were more polite.
People in the South have a glossy politeness but you will tend to get a more blunt honesty from a lot of people in the north, although it's a stereotype that is by no means universal. There are some like that I agree, but there are plenty of nice northerners too. And have you ever seen Eastenders?

I think London is much better at multiculturalism than much of the rest of the country, in fact I sometimes feel like I'm in another country when I'm there, so I would hope that London would prove very welcoming to people from other countries and cultures.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
People in the South have a glossy politeness but you will tend to get a more blunt honesty from a lot of people in the north, although it's a stereotype that is by no means universal. There are some like that I agree, but there are plenty of nice northerners too. And have you ever seen Eastenders?
Since I'm Texan, I prefer glossy politeness to the coarse rudeness I found in the north of England. I was overweight when I lived in the UK and I got tired of working class neds calling me names like "tons of fun" and "loadsa love". It's disgusting.

Quote:
I think London is much better at multiculturalism than much of the rest of the country, in fact I sometimes feel like I'm in another country when I'm there, so I would hope that London would prove very welcoming to people from other countries and cultures.
Eh...I never lived there, but a childhood friend of mine does and she says people can be just as anti-American there as they are up north. Since her husband (also an American) works in the City, they make a lot of money and her neighbors tend to be pretty rich and extremely snotty about Americans. She says she's tired of them treating her like an idiot. She was an investment banker before she left her job to raise her and her husband's child.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:38 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Since I'm Texan, I prefer glossy politeness to the coarse rudeness I found in the north of England. I was overweight when I lived in the UK and I got tired of working class neds calling me names like "tons of fun" and "loadsa love". It's disgusting.

Eh...I never lived there, but a childhood friend of mine does and she says people can be just as anti-American there as they are up north. Since her husband (also an American) works in the City, they make a lot of money and her neighbors tend to be pretty rich and extremely snotty about Americans. She says she's tired of them treating her like an idiot. She was an investment banker before she left her job to raise her and her husband's child.
I'm sorry you had such a bad time. There are good and bad people everywhere and it really comes down to the people you come into contact with. I hope if you come back you'll have a better experience but will you accept an apology from me on behalf of decent northerners?

Old 12-19-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
I'm sorry you had such a bad time. There are good and bad people everywhere and it really comes down to the people you come into contact with. I hope if you come back you'll have a better experience but will you accept an apology from me on behalf of decent northerners?
Apology accepted but I hope to never set foot anywhere in England north of Watford Gap.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London