Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:30 AM

11 posts, read 48,054 times

Advertisements

I am africain-Americain and i am moving to london since i got admitted into the university of Lonon.Wiould you say London is tolerant about minorites and a hospitbale place.Only for people who live or have lived in Britan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 AM

578 posts, read 3,062,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo23 View Post
I am africain-Americain and i am moving to london since i got admitted into the university of Lonon.Wiould you say London is tolerant about minorites and a hospitbale place.Only for people who live or have lived in Britan.
London has a lot of minorities its nothing new so yes I would say London as well and many other cities in the UK are tolerant, you wont feel out of place or anything.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:03 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
Whites feel more out of place in many parts of London. There are many sub-Saharan Africans and black Carribbeans in London.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 AM

351 posts, read 1,873,408 times
I studied in London during my undergraduate and graduate years. I found London to be light years ahead of the US in terms of multi-culturalism. There is tremendous diversity in London and a place for everyone. You've already been advised of the sub-Saharan and black Caribbeans; that's the color association subset in London (which may be as alien to you as it is to the white Brits). From a prejudicial perspective, you might have to stand in line behind a few other groups to get your share of intolerance.

If anything, I think you'll find that whatever intolerance you may feel as an African-American may diminish significantly as you realize that there are a whole lot of other ethnic groups out there who are dealing with stigma in the world. The Brits, I think, are a lot harder on other ethnic groups. Once you get out of the US, American stereotypes kind of lose their edge among the thralls of the general global population.

Should you find London (or England) inhospitable, don't take it personally. You'll be fine; have FUN! And congratualtions on your acceptance!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:36 AM

578 posts, read 3,062,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Whites feel more out of place in many parts of London.
Thats true

Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
London is probably the most tolerant city in the UK, but I encountered some pretty shocking racism in other parts of the UK. Also, the BNP is making some serious inroads in a couple of London boroughs. You should be fine, but don't be surprised if you hear the odd comment.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastina View Post
I studied in London during my undergraduate and graduate years. I found London to be light years ahead of the US in terms of multi-culturalism.
Could you compare London to New York City in this respect?

Quote:
The Brits, I think, are a lot harder on other ethnic groups. Once you get out of the US, American stereotypes kind of lose their edge among the thralls of the general global population.
The Brits are an insular people. It's an island after all. The English can be that way towards all foreigners. It's what they call xenophobia.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:58 AM

I think the English are pretty tolerant towards foreigners although perhaps a little condescending. They are treated a bit like English children - seen but not heard. English people aren't friendly just because you're foreign. The English aren't even friendly to each other. They can be polite. The Northern English seem a bit friendlier and down to earth from my experience. The northeast can be very racist. It's also the poorest region in England.

There are many problems with the British immigration policy. The English have actually been very patient. The whole southeast is overpopulated. People from the new EU countries in Eastern Europe keep pouring in to England. Many more than what was expected immigrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
London is probably the most tolerant city in the UK, but I encountered some pretty shocking racism in other parts of the UK. Also, the BNP is making some serious inroads in a couple of London boroughs. You should be fine, but don't be surprised if you hear the odd comment.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:45 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I think the English are pretty tolerant towards foreigners although perhaps a little condescending. They are treated a bit like English children - seen but not heard. English people aren't friendly just because you're foreign. The English aren't even friendly to each other. They can be polite. The Northern English seem a bit friendlier and down to earth from my experience. The northeast can be very racist. It's also the poorest region in England.
I found it to be the opposite; people up north were astonishingly rude and coarse whereas people in the south were more polite.

Quote:
There are many problems with the British immigration policy. The English have actually been very patient. The whole southeast is overpopulated. People from the new EU countries in Eastern Europe keep pouring in to England. Many more than what was expected immigrated.
Yes, I remember that Tony Blair's government estimated something ridiculous like only 15,000 migrants would move to the UK; I hear it's over 300,000.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I found it to be the opposite; people up north were astonishingly rude and coarse whereas people in the south were more polite.
You may have met rough around the edges working class people. Pikeys?

I knew a guy originally from Sunderland living in Chester who refused to order French wine in a restaurant with French cuisine. He was special.

I prefer southern England as well.

Quote:
Yes, I remember that Tony Blair's government estimated something ridiculous like only 15,000 migrants would move to the UK; I hear it's over 300,000.
It's around twice the number you have heard. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5273356.stm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London