Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,003 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a relocation from Pretoria to a safer country. I am recently widowed and have 2 children ages 1 and 3. I have a British passport by virtue of my mother being a British subject ( born in Scotland and raised in Rhodesia) and I also have a Canadian passport as I was born in British Columbia. London is seeming to be a smart choice! I was wondering if there was an area with a prominent population of Afrikaans speakers. I ask because I would like to be able to attend an NG Kerk/Dutch Reforned Afrikaans church because it is a very important to keep a continuation of that culture for my children. I know there is a large emigrant South African Boer/Afrikaans in the United Kingdom however I haven't any knowledge of if there is a concentration of them in any ward or district. Somewhere with good education is ideal. Another destination I am considering is Montréal where I have a colleague there.

Dankie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 10:58 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I did a google search of Afrikaans churches in London which came up with mainly old articles, but have a look yourself.

This forum did pop up- don't know if it will help you;

koeksisters en brandewyn - Afrikaans groups in London?

Old 06-16-2015, 03:39 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
I would guess that your children are entitled to Canadian passports but not British passports so Canada might be easier to get into. Have you looked at the UK visa requirements for them?

Old 06-16-2015, 03:42 PM

264 posts, read 272,537 times
I wouldnt bother with the UK if you've a chance of getting into Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London