Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 AM

388 posts, read 474,086 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Hengist, for the link to Illustrates

That's a helpful site!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 02:56 AM

22 posts, read 25,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
There are loads of poor areas in central london, parts of pimlico, lisson grove, somers town, camden, Cale. Road, Angel, Edgware Road, Labroke Grove, World End in chelsea, Battersea estates... London is more socio-economically unequal than most folks think, even in the centre...

For good posh areas in the centre, three main areas stand out Kensington/Chelsea, Notting Hill and Mayfair.

There are nice areas like Marylebone and Fitzrovia, but they are not in the same league as the aforementioned...
Yeah totally agree with this.

Not all of Central London is posh at all, it's expensive...but that doesn't mean it's all posh.

Parts of Camden (Somers Town) and Ladbroke Grove are actually very Ghetto IMO, even parts of North Kensington that border Ladbroke Grove aren't great.

I agree with your list, I'd add West Brompton (SW10) and Knightsbridge (SW7) as truly Posh areas.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:27 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Neighbourhoods?

Pretty much most of Central London (depending on how you define its boundaries) save for parts of Covent Garden, Soho and Paddington.
Yup I'm in paddington/little Venice so that would do

Old 09-19-2016, 03:28 PM

South Kensington is posh and the top end of the kings road in Chelsea

Old 09-20-2016, 12:56 AM

969 posts, read 825,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
There are loads of poor areas in central london, parts of pimlico, lisson grove, somers town, camden, Cale. Road, Angel, Edgware Road, Labroke Grove, World End in chelsea, Battersea estates... London is more socio-economically unequal than most folks think, even in the centre...

For good posh areas in the centre, three main areas stand out Kensington/Chelsea, Notting Hill and Mayfair.

There are nice areas like Marylebone and Fitzrovia, but they are not in the same league as the aforementioned...
Many of these areas are at the fringes of or outside what I would define as Central London.

Going by the areas set aside for non-residential uses as defined by the London Plan, excluding pre-regeneration areas south of the river, and including landmark areas in RBKC, I'd refer to this fantastic map posted by Grigoriachel for degrees of beauty and "poshness".

The map is a bit out of date. Soho, Victoria and Fitzrovia are in a development boom, so should probably be a lighter shade of red.

Victoria:

London

Paddington is also changing quickly:

thisispaddington.com: Sellar Group Unveil Paddington Cube Proposals

Last edited by CTDominion; 09-20-2016 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: declutter

Old 09-29-2016, 03:16 PM

861 posts, read 852,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the hell View Post
Here's a list

-Clapham common
-Dulwich
-Greenwich
-Blackheath
-Hampstead
-Chiswick
-Ealing
-Putney
-Islington
-Notting hill
-Kensington
-Barnes
-Richmond
-Roehampton
-Balham
-Wimbledon
-Kingston
-Sutton
-Crystal palace
-Herne hill
-Muswell hill
-Finchley
Take Muswell Hill off that list, my supercar got banged with a frigging brick in the afternoon there. Never had that problem elsewhere in London.. So it definately is a s $/t area...

Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Many of these areas are at the fringes of or outside what I would define as Central London.

Going by the areas set aside for non-residential uses as defined by the London Plan, excluding pre-regeneration areas south of the river, and including landmark areas in RBKC, I'd refer to this fantastic map posted by Grigoriachel for degrees of beauty and "poshness".

The map is a bit out of date. Soho, Victoria and Fitzrovia are in a development boom, so should probably be a lighter shade of red.

Victoria:

London

Yes Paddington for the last 10/15 years has seen huge development and there's more planed

It's great as I've lived there all my life

Great post

Old 09-29-2016, 03:23 PM

861 posts, read 852,329 times
Quote:

Victoria:

London

But this is where it gets interesting. Even I can remember when Soho and parts of fitzrovia where considered bad areas.

In fact only now are prices in the latter catching up with the rest of central London. While Soho attained it's bohemian status precisely because it was cheap and filled with what were then considered undesirable groups..

Old 10-05-2016, 11:59 PM

5 posts, read 4,020 times
Kensington, Palace Gardens - during 2 years I was there - posh place indeed.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:23 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Days And Nights View Post
Is Fitzrovia nicer than Isle of Dogs and Victoria Park?
Fitzrovia is an area in Central London around Post Office Tower, whilst Victoria Park and the Isle of Dogs are in the traditionally working class East End.

The East End is undergoing massive redevelopment and apartments in areas such as Canary Wharf and the Greenwich Peninsula are well sort after however the areas themselves are not traditionally known for being posh.

In terms of Central London areas such as Mayfair, Belgravia, Knightbridge, Kensington and Chelsea etc are the expensive upmarket areas.

In terms of other upmarket areas, Primrose Hill, Holland Park, St John's Wood, Swiss Cottage, Hampstead, Highgate, Finchley, Richmond, Wimbledon etc are well sort after locations with expensive housing.

Further out the stockbroker belt has some very moneyed areas such as Totteridge and the Barnet area, Virginia Water, Wentworth Private Estate, St Georges Hill Private Estate, Coombe Hill Private Estate, Sunningdale and the Thames Valley, with places such as Henley on Thames.

You will find billionaires in many of these type of locations.

Exclusive shopping streets in London include the likes of Bond Street and Sloane Street, although there are numerous other exclusive areas and arcades.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-19-2020 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London