Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 05:51 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be in London on my birthday this year. I will be 67 years young on September 27th, which falls on a Sunday. Can anybody give us some really awesome suggestions for making it my most memorable birthday ever? We'll actually be in London for 5 days, so we will have four other days to do all of the typical sightseeing stuff, and we have been to London before. We're especially interested in restaurant suggestions (we probably are partial to Italian and Middle-eastern food, but are open to whatever). I'm assuming that some things might not be open on Sundays, so keep that in mind when making suggestions. Also, are there any particularly unusual points of interest or experiences the travel guides might not typically mention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 12:18 PM

Wow. 26 "views" and not a single suggestion. I'm underwhelmed by the suggestions.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:07 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,008 times
I think one of the best dining experiences I've had in London was to take a spot at the bar in Soho's Boca di Lupo. It has a great sense of entirely uncontrived theatre, and the food, which is typical regional fare done to a very high standard, rather than 'fine dining', is extremely satisfying. You could begin your evening for cocktails at nearby Bob Bob Ricard, drop across the road after BdL to their own gelateria (Gelupo)...you'll just need somewhere good to have a digestif afterwards.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
I think one of the best dining experiences I've had in London was to take a spot at the bar in Soho's Boca di Lupo. It has a great sense of entirely uncontrived theatre, and the food, which is typical regional fare done to a very high standard, rather than 'fine dining', is extremely satisfying. You could begin your evening for cocktails at nearby Bob Bob Ricard, drop across the road after BdL to their own gelateria (Gelupo)...you'll just need somewhere good to have a digestif afterwards.
Thank you so much! We will definitely check it out. Would it be open on Sunday evenings?

Old 08-06-2015, 01:00 AM

531 posts, read 594,777 times
The recommended side dish for G&B's suggestions is usually a mountain of salt, but I think he's actually being serious here.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thank you so much! We will definitely check it out. Would it be open on Sunday evenings?
Aha! They are, but only till 9, so you'll have to make it an early one...

Old 08-06-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
The recommended side dish for G&B's suggestions is usually a mountain of salt, but I think he's actually being serious here.
I've never found the food at Boca di Lupo to be under-seasoned, though salted caramel has certainly been the break-out ice-cream flavour of recent times...

Old 08-06-2015, 09:01 AM

504 posts, read 465,370 times
Not sure if you want large, buzy, bustling or intimate neighbourhood style, but I can thoroughly recommend Roots @ N1. It's Indian, but not as we know it, Jim.

Been several times, and it's never missed a beat. Exquisite flavours, some unusual dishes together with more familiar, spicy dishes are spicy, others are not and they will go out of their way to recommend. It's small (was obviously a pub once upon a time) but great atmosphere and the service is simply the best I've ever encountered. Totally professional yet very warm and friendly. It's run by guys who have worked at very top end places both in India and London, and I'd say a Michelin star sometime in the future is not a fantasy, though the portions will have to shrink! It won a Bib Gourmand last year. It's out of the way somewhat - easy in a cab, or about 12-15 minute walk from Angel Tube (passing some very nice pubs on the way!), but it's a fabulous neighbourhood (Barnsbury) and well off the tourist trail.

If you choose the wine pairing, then expect around GBP 70 per head.

The reviews on TA are pretty accurate.

Roots at N1 - Home

edit: just found my gushing review from my birthday visit there! Best review I've ever given, I think!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUse...d.html#REVIEWS

Old 08-06-2015, 09:39 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Do you like Thai food by any chance? If so, I recommend Patara (Thai Restaurant Bangkok - Patara Fine Thai Cuisine). They have several locations around London and the food I had there was fantastic (this from someone who isn't a huge fan of spicy food).

Old 08-08-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Not sure if you want large, buzy, bustling or intimate neighbourhood style, but I can thoroughly recommend Roots @ N1. It's Indian, but not as we know it, Jim.

Been several times, and it's never missed a beat. Exquisite flavours, some unusual dishes together with more familiar, spicy dishes are spicy, others are not and they will go out of their way to recommend. It's small (was obviously a pub once upon a time) but great atmosphere and the service is simply the best I've ever encountered. Totally professional yet very warm and friendly. It's run by guys who have worked at very top end places both in India and London, and I'd say a Michelin star sometime in the future is not a fantasy, though the portions will have to shrink! It won a Bib Gourmand last year. It's out of the way somewhat - easy in a cab, or about 12-15 minute walk from Angel Tube (passing some very nice pubs on the way!), but it's a fabulous neighbourhood (Barnsbury) and well off the tourist trail.

If you choose the wine pairing, then expect around GBP 70 per head.

The reviews on TA are pretty accurate.

Roots at N1 - Home

edit: just found my gushing review from my birthday visit there! Best review I've ever given, I think!

What more can I say? - Roots at N1, London Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Do you like Thai food by any chance? If so, I recommend Patara (Thai Restaurant Bangkok - Patara Fine Thai Cuisine). They have several locations around London and the food I had there was fantastic (this from someone who isn't a huge fan of spicy food).
Thank you both! I'm not a huge fan of either Indian or Thai food, but I'm open to anything that I get personal recommendations on. I'll look into these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London