Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 10:06 AM

169 posts, read 168,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Sorry bud, depends on which ethnicities. I am British Nigerian and my wife is Scandinavian in heritage. She is the better looking one, trust me Caucasian men and weirdly older Caucasian women in both LA and NYC make their dissatisfaction apparent.

I don't really care these days, but please don't make out it isn't a problem as it is. In London less people make an issue of it. Weirdly the problem went up a notch once we had a kid, which we put down to people realising we were not a fling (patronising as that view is) and serious couple.

To be fair I remember being so proud of my father in law. He weathered a fair amount of disapproving looks when he was out with us on one pretty bad day. People looked at him like "how could you let your daughter date THAT man". He handled it like a boss and just ignored it. He massively went up in my estimation that day..

That being said the British are more veiled in showing their disapproval with something they see publicly unlike yanks, so there could be more folks with issues than I appreciate. Hell the Brexit vote unveiled the true amount of bigotry in the UK.
Yep.

Regarding the last bold. I think the Brexit vote showed how similar the UK is the the US in terms of, it seemed most of the major cities (diverse areas) wanted to stay in the EU and most of the countryside wanted out. Very similar politics occur in the US

Back to OP
If you walk around places like London and Paris, you will see interracial couples EVERYWHERE. Even watch British tv once in a while. The sheer amount of interracial couples/relationships shown on TV (Dr. Who, Luther, etc) versus what you see on US TV show the amount of tolerance. I'd honestly say, I'lll take the rain and cold weather to live where people accept me more.

Also, I strongly agree, when I was there people were more interested in the fact that I was American rather than black, actually, probably made it more interesting that I was black american with my half asian wife. People probably thought we were British until we spoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 03:54 AM

22 posts, read 25,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggidy View Post
Yep.

Regarding the last bold. I think the Brexit vote showed how similar the UK is the the US in terms of, it seemed most of the major cities (diverse areas) wanted to stay in the EU and most of the countryside wanted out. Very similar politics occur in the US

Back to OP
If you walk around places like London and Paris, you will see interracial couples EVERYWHERE. Even watch British tv once in a while. The sheer amount of interracial couples/relationships shown on TV (Dr. Who, Luther, etc) versus what you see on US TV show the amount of tolerance. I'd honestly say, I'lll take the rain and cold weather to live where people accept me more.

Also, I strongly agree, when I was there people were more interested in the fact that I was American rather than black, actually, probably made it more interesting that I was black american with my half asian wife. People probably thought we were British until we spoke.

I was born and brought up in London, am of Afro Caribbean descent and am in a interracial relationship with my White British fiancée, we have 2 young mixed race girls.

I haven't lived in the US so can't claim to have any knowledge of interracial couples and how they are perceived/treated.

From what I have observed on a dozen visits to the big US cities (New York, Washington D.C., San Francisco) is that interracial couples do exist in fairly big numbers, however it does seem a little more segregated in the major US cities than say London where I live and have grown up.

In general, most of the major UK Cities seem fairly accepting of interracial couples, it's by no means perfect and their are issues as you rightly stated re: Brexit...but these incidents don't outweigh the general attitude, it's of course just my opinion.

I have personally not experienced anything major regarding my interracial relationship with my fiancée .

There have been a few incidents in London over the years where in fact Black Afro Caribbean women have shown their disapproval at our relationship through their body language on the street (looks or muttered comments), it's happened twice, the most recent being a few weeks ago where a lady bumped into me and my fiancée deliberately and the muttered something under her breath, we were with our two young children too!

It was fairly covert and only the 3 of us were aware of it but it happened all the same and came as a surprise.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:45 AM

308 posts, read 237,545 times
You wont see them here in the borough of Redcar&Cleveland,which is about 98% White British,certainly one of the highest in the country and i live in a small seaside town of 6000 people.Apart from takeaway owners who mostly live elsewhere there arent any non whites really and if there are they are day trippers.I wouldnt say here has a racial problem but you might get the odd stare.

15 miles away lies Middlesbrough with a population that has more than 10% Pakistani origin.Now things are different there.People live very segregated lives,the Pakistanis around the town centre and the white majority on the outside estates,some of which arent places i would recommend anyone Pakistani went to.The women who wear veils get a lot of abuse.Strangely in all this you rarely see a black person but those that are there are well accepted.Its just about Britains most deprived town,and despite a great local pride,there are issues it prefers to ignore.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree321
Is London a good place to relocate to for a black-white couple? In terms of things like stares, racist attitudes, racist comments, and general acceptance/quality of life.

Are such relationships common?

I've heard that interracial couples get many stares and comments.

I am not knowledgable on the issue at all so any information would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Happy to tell you as someone who has lived all over London that interracial couples are so normal that no one will even bat an eyelid at you.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:20 AM

72 posts, read 70,309 times
There should be a sticky post here saying "it's ok to love anyone you want in London". I still can't get my head around the fact that people still have to begin absurd threads like this. Get a grip people.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:43 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I visited London in the early 60s... and it was the first time I had noticed so many mixed couples and gay people together too...

Old 03-31-2017, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,293 times
Take it from me, YOU WILL BE FINE. In-fact you will be normal as long as you are a black man with a white girlfriend. those types of couples with black men and white women are VERY COMMON in london. So you will be fine. however if you are a white man with a black/Indian women then you might get a few stares because those couples are less common. If you are a white man then try to avoid ghetto areas where you might get beat up for dating a black/indian girl, like avoid Brixton, Hackney and Peckham at night.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:11 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
As a white guy with a black Mrs and kids I can categorically say that nobody will take a blind bit of notice. We have travelled the UK from Scotland to Cornwall and NOBODY has ever seemed to bat an eyelid, nobody says anything, we don't get 'stared at', this is 21st century Britain not the 1950's. The previous post is nonsense Brixton, Hackney and Peckham are NOT even ,Ghetto's', I don't think the poster really knows what a 'Ghetto' is exactly.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,293 times
i saw this link and thought it was interesting
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-black-m...te-white-women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London