Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 01:00 AM

808 posts, read 541,858 times

Advertisements

I'm attending a weekend conference in London. The venue is the Steiner House, on Park Rd near Regent's Park. I'm looking at booking an AirBnB room, and I'd like to choose a location that a few blocks from the conference, and also easy to get to from Heathrow airport. Since I won't be lugging a suitcase to the conference, proximity to transport is more important than proximity to the venue, but since it's in the center of London, it seems like I should be able to get both.

I don't think the train stops nearby, so I'm looking at bus/shuttle, I assume. True? Other options for getting into town from Heathrow?
If there is public transport, I don't know how to find out where the stops are.
Is there a reasonably-priced shuttle bus that stops at your door?
I'm nearly 70 years old, and don't look forward to dragging my suitcase half a mile, trying to find my place.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
I'm attending a weekend conference in London. The venue is the Steiner House, on Park Rd near Regent's Park. I'm looking at booking an AirBnB room, and I'd like to choose a location that a few blocks from the conference, and also easy to get to from Heathrow airport. Since I won't be lugging a suitcase to the conference, proximity to transport is more important than proximity to the venue, but since it's in the center of London, it seems like I should be able to get both.

I don't think the train stops nearby, so I'm looking at bus/shuttle, I assume. True? Other options for getting into town from Heathrow?
I'm nearly 70 years old, and don't look forward to dragging my suitcase half a mile, trying to find my place.

Many thanks.
Take the Heathrow Connect Train (its a lot cheaper than the Heathrow Express) to Paddington Station where it terminates, then take the London Underground Hammersmith and City Line (the Pink Line) a couple of short stops to Baker Street which is the nearest tube station to Steiner House.

If you need help just ask any of the London Underground Staff.

Heathrow Connect - Wiki

Hammersmith & City Line - Wiki

The other option is to get to Paddington and just take a Black Cab the short distance, as that would save on carrying any luggage and will take you right to the door of where you want to be.

As for hotels and accomodation there are lots to choose from in that part of London.

Hope you have a lovely trip and conference.

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-19-2017 at 03:53 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 01:27 AM

914 posts, read 973,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post

Many thanks.
This is London there is definately a station nearby
You can go by tube to Baker street (metropolitan/Circle line) depending on where travelling from or easily take a bus.Short walk from Baker street tube like 0.3 miles

Use the Transport for london site www.tfl.gov or you can put into google maps, put steiner house as destination and your origin and will plan the route for you . Heathrow is on the Picadilly line(or can get Heathrow express into Paddington) so if you use the TFL site it can plan for you, and swapping lines and trains is quite simple especially in and around london, you can view a tube map online via the tfl site whether you use bus, tube, overland train etc

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

Hope that helps

Last edited by Montygirl; 04-20-2017 at 01:53 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 11:45 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
As a 72 y/o that recently visited London from the US, a few comments, especially if you are only there for a weekend:

1. Buses don't take cash, you would need to get an "Oyster" card. https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/
2. You can get paper tickets for the Tube/Underground stations, but wrestling with luggage at Tube stations can be a pain.
3. I would suggest you get AirBNB as close to Steiner as possible.
4. Take the Heathrow Connect to Paddington, then Black Cab taxi to AirBNB near Steiner. It's about 10 min/1.2 mi to Steiner area from Paddington
https://goo.gl/maps/9LpeetdU7m12
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares
5. Get some £'s at an airport ATM after you land.
6. Have "chipped" debit or credit card.
7. Make sure passport has at least 6 months left until expiration. (Some new rule)

Good Luck, and don't get "bumped" ;-)

Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM

914 posts, read 973,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
As a 72 y/o that recently visited London from the US, a few comments, especially if you are only there for a weekend:

1. Buses don't take cash, you would need to get an "Oyster" card. https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/
2. You can get paper tickets for the Tube/Underground stations, but wrestling with luggage at Tube stations can be a pain.
3. I would suggest you get AirBNB as close to Steiner as possible.
4. Take the Heathrow Connect to Paddington, then Black Cab taxi to AirBNB near Steiner. It's about 10 min/1.2 mi to Steiner area from Paddington
https://goo.gl/maps/9LpeetdU7m12
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares
5. Get some £'s at an airport ATM after you land.
6. Have "chipped" debit or credit card.
7. Make sure passport has at least 6 months left until expiration. (Some new rule)

Good Luck, and don't get "bumped" ;-)
1) no they don't and unfortunately as I found out being a UK citizen returning from the US last summer the US does not have contactless Debit & Credit cards(its only chip and pin) which is a pain as in the UK they do and you don't need Oyster any more as you just hold your debit or credit card up to the machine on the bus or tube and payment is taken directly.
My US credit card did not have even chip and pin on it which made paying for stuff tricky as everything in the UK and also in Australia & NZ runs off chip and pin !

You can apply for an oyster card however online and pick it up from lots of tube stations when you arrive including the one at Heathrow airport and then no need for paper tickets. Again as stated if you go online to TFL website it gives instructions on how to apply even if you are not a UK citizen you can do this and paper tickets are rare these days. You can also top this up online or at the tube station when you pick it up

4) Heathrow express is same as Heathrow connect trains and minutes to paddington, you can also Uber from Paddington as well as pick up a black cab.

5) dont need £££ why not just do a currency card that you top up then no need to carry money around and most places take debit or credit cards. Also with a currency card you get a better rate and can withdraw cash at any atm with it. I did this in reverse when moving to the US and not having a bank account. They have the same thing US to UK i'm sure. I'm sure they have the same in other countries to convert local currency to £, like via the bank of america

6) 6 month rule applies to most countries these days including the US when people wish to gain entry . You cannot enter the US with less than 6 months on your passport

Have a great trip

Old 04-21-2017, 10:22 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
I'm sure that I remember it right from my "black cab" driving days, it's Rudolf Steiner house, just 90-100 metres above Clarence Gate, Regents Park, maybe 10 minutes walk from Baker Street station.
To save the hassle of dragging even a small wheeled case down to the Underground station, forget the tube after using Heathrow Express or Connect from the airport to Paddington, and take the advice about using a black cab, I doubt that the fare will be more than $10-$12.
There are a slew of small hotels in the area, both north and south of Marylebone station, maybe check TripAdvisor.
Naturally, as a retired black cab driver I would say this, but forget Uber, if you want a taxi, use a professional who'll know the shortest and quickest way to anywhere in London, without need of a Sat-Nav.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:46 AM

808 posts, read 541,858 times
Thank you everyone. city-data is the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London