Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 07:49 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
You fellow Americans should not allow the leftists to take your guns, you won't be better of afterwards, UK and Germany once in history had liberal gun laws, things did not get better since then.
Hah. These leftist will never take our guns here. They can try over and over. They will ultimately lose. We live in Texas. A very gun friendly state. I am amused when I run into brits here . They are so fascinated with guns. I never really thought about it , but I guess a lot of people take the right for granted. I have a gun at my office, my house, and theres one in my car . All legally. Violent crimes are low and the only major problem is petty theft from people leaving their cars . My wife is eastern european (lithuanian) .... When we go out there. Her grandpa shows us all their guns.. I guess eastern europe is not disarmed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 08:07 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well that worked. A news organization makes a comparison to get everybody to read their " news " with a sensational headline!

Comparing ONLY 2 months is pretty useless when talking about overall murders per year.

Reality Check: Has London's murder rate overtaken New York's? - BBC News

Old 04-05-2018, 09:08 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Hah. These leftist will never take our guns here. They can try over and over. They will ultimately lose. We live in Texas. A very gun friendly state. I am amused when I run into brits here . They are so fascinated with guns. I never really thought about it , but I guess a lot of people take the right for granted. I have a gun at my office, my house, and theres one in my car . All legally. Violent crimes are low and the only major problem is petty theft from people leaving their cars . My wife is eastern european (lithuanian) .... When we go out there. Her grandpa shows us all their guns.. I guess eastern europe is not disarmed....
It depends on the country, as a heritage of communist oppression some countries have strict gun laws, even stricter than Western Europe, especially the Baltic countries as far is I know. Czech Republic, Serbia and Bosnia have liberal gun laws; countries like Poland or Hungary seem to be average. UK is extreme, in Germany you can own guns, even AR 15s and the like, however you have to invest considerable time and money and strip yourself to the authorities. Czech Republic is the only country in Europe I know that allows common citizens to carry guns, though with individual permission needed.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:27 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Yeah.........that video doesn't make this an easier pill to swallow.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:34 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
NYC is already one of the safest cities in the US, so that doesn't make London's 2 month crime streak as bad as it sounds.

When they are talking about London competing with Baltimore, then I'll be worried about the state of things.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:10 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Why is NY being used as the comparison?
Because it's the only American city with a population comparable to London's.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:33 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Man what is going on Europe? Get your act together, otherwise you truly won't be able to brag about being better than America. Seriously how does this happen?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-a3803566.html
Note that the London statistics did not include murders by terrorist attacks. I assume NYC did. How does that skew the results?

Old 04-07-2018, 11:44 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Note that the London statistics did not include murders by terrorist attacks. I assume NYC did. How does that skew the results?
Still much lower though isn't it.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Still much lower though isn't it.
I would assume so pbpbcat however when I took Stats 101 many years ago I was not an A student in the class. My old college professor always told us that STATS could be used to support any argument. Hence I do not trust/understand them.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:24 PM

One thing to remember about NYC and London is that both cities have very STRICT gun laws. So although NYC is in the United States the laws of NYC covering gun ownership are probably more comparable to London than a similar city in a state with lenient gun laws like say Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London