Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 02:02 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

Get ready Europe American baseball coming near you

"Major League Baseball intends to announce next week the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox will play two games at London's Olympic Stadium on June 29-30 next year, a person familiar with the planning told The Associated Press."

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...481653401.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 02:37 PM

630 posts, read 526,099 times
Europe? England maybe, but I'm sure they'll be so much into the World Cup they won't even notice.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:23 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
WOW, I am not being funny but why do American fans seem OK about this? For some reason American sport federations seem obsessed about playing their games in London, I imagine a baseball match would be akin to Arsenal v Chelsea being played in NY and the EPL know that there would be so much outrage from the fans that they wouldn't even dare try. I ask any American baseball fans (particularly any fans of the teams being sent over) what they think on this?

Old 05-04-2018, 03:29 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
WOW, I am not being funny but why do American fans seem OK about this? For some reason American sport federations seem obsessed about playing their games in London, I imagine a baseball match would be akin to Arsenal v Chelsea being played in NY and the EPL know that there would be so much outrage from the fans that they wouldn't even dare try. I ask any American baseball fans (particularly any fans of the teams being sent over) what they think on this?
Some hard-core fans are irate about it.

But in the minds of professional sports executives (NFL too), irate fans are apparently, at some point, outweighed by gains in revenue:

gain of 1,000 casual fans > loss of 10 hard-core fans = more (advertising) revenue.

[By the way, same calculation for increasing political theaterisation in professional sports.]

Personally I hope the attempt at foreign expansion fails [political theaterisation too].

So please lead a massive protest against the expansion of professional US sports (in particular NFL football and MLB baseball) in UK and Europe, and have them barred and sent home as soon as possible.

Hopefully people in Mexico will do the same.

Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Some hard-core fans are irate about it.

But in the minds of professional sports executives (NFL too), irate fans are apparently, at some point, outweighed by gains in revenue:

gain of 1,000 casual fans > loss of 10 hard-core fans = more (advertising) revenue.

[By the way, same calculation for increasing political theaterisation in professional sports.]

Personally I hope the attempt at foreign expansion fails [political theaterisation too].

So please lead a massive protest against the expansion of professional US sports (in particular NFL football and MLB baseball) in UK and Europe, and have them barred and sent home as soon as possible.

Hopefully people in Mexico will do the same.

Good Luck!
To be honest with you its 'no skin off my nose' (sorry for turning the other cheek), if anything its probably beneficial for London having these sporting events here but I can understand why US fans must be bloody furious! Its gotta be all about money and the disrespect by the sports organisations shown to the real US fans is outrageous, I am just wondering why US supporters aren't more 'up in arms' about the whole thing?

Old 05-04-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
I am just wondering why US supporters aren't more 'up in arms' about the whole thing?
I think because a critical mass of fans are casual, not hardcore. And, again, a critical mass of fans who go to stadiums are more interested in partying (tailgating and so on).

Nowadays I just look at box scores on my cellphone, don't bother watching games on TV any more, and forget about going to a stadium.

That's about as far as most backlash goes here in the US, most of us have more important things to do, like paying insurance premiums.

Now that's exciting!

Old 05-04-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
I think because a critical mass of fans are casual, not hardcore. And, again, a critical mass of fans who go to stadiums are more interested in partying (tailgating and so on).

Nowadays I just look at box score on my cellphone, don't bother watching games on TV any more, and forget about going to a stadium.

That's about as far as most backlash goes here in the US, most of us have more important things to do, like paying insurance premiums.

Now that's exciting!
You don't make the sport sound very exciting! What's tailgating?

Old 05-04-2018, 03:56 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
I've been to a couple of NFL games in London with my son, who lives there. I am a Red Sox fan and Yankee hater since the early 50s. I'm going.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
What's tailgating?
Sorry, tailgating refers to people arriving some hours before a game, typically football on Sunday, in pick-up trucks and vans laden with barbecue equipment and food, as well as beer and maybe other alcohol and perhaps other substances, and then entering the stadium just before game time already juiced up to enjoy the experience.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Sorry, tailgating refers to people arriving some hours before a game, typically football on Sunday, in pick-up trucks and vans laden with barbecue equipment and food, as well as beer and maybe other alcohol and perhaps other substances, and then entering the stadium just before game time already juiced up to enjoy the experience.
Ah yes of course, I've heard about that, sounds like a pre match picnic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London