Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 03:20 AM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I wouldn't walk around any park in any large city at night, especially if the city is not familiar to you, aHaggerston Park is in Hackney inthe traditionally poor East End near Bethnal Green, so is not the best place to walk around the parks at night.

Then again Haggeston Park closes at around 9.30 in the summer, and as early as 4.30 in the winter months.

Haggerston Park | Hackney Council

The nearby Victoria Park is a far more impressive park to walk around during the day, and the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is also nearby and has lots of security if you want somewhere to walk around safely at night, whilst the East End has seen massive redevelopment and regeneration in recent years.

Victoria Park - Tower Hamlets

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park: Home

As easthome has already pointed out London is quite safe for a city of nearly 9 million.

If anything was likely to happen then Hackney was one of the places it most likely may occur. I wonder if much has changed. I don't get why though someone would wish to walk in Haggerston at night.

I agree the East End has seen massive development over the years. I lived through part of it. Not always welcome though and a lot of dislocation of traditional tribes was imposed that long inhabited those areas.

Great wealth beside relative poverty is a rather somewhat unique feature to London. Not always meeting in the best of ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 04:47 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Don't be so ridiculous, London is one of the worlds safest cities, you are just scaremongering. There are 5 million women that aren't scared to wonder around London on a daily basis, many of them children too!
when the police cannot stop the stabbings, the muggings and the moped attackers, that's the time to avoid places. maybe if you live there you haven't got much option but to travel in these areas but when those of us who live elsewhere can only go on the news reports to determine how safe or unsafe an area is, then it looks like crime is not only rife its out of control.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:40 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
If anything was likely to happen then Hackney was one of the places it most likely may occur. I wonder if much has changed. I don't get why though someone would wish to walk in Haggerston at night.
I am not sure why antone would want to walk in a city park at night, especially one that is closed at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour
I agree the East End has seen massive development over the years. I lived through part of it. Not always welcome though and a lot of dislocation of traditional tribes was imposed that long inhabited those areas.
The same thing has happened in other major cities such as NYC, and there are pros and cons in relation to redevelopment and gentrification. Just look at Hoxton, Shoreditch and areas sych as Brick Lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour
Great wealth beside relative poverty is a rather somewhat unique feature to London. Not always meeting in the best of ways.
London has always been very diverse, although in terms of the East End it was always the poor relation and the money was in the West End and affulent suburbs such as Hampstead and Highgate. Tiday of course things have changed and you have Canary Wharf and the Docklands, as well as the new development in Stratford.

It will be interesting to see how the East Bank project progresses.

East Bank | Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

Latest designs for London's East Bank, “a powerhouse of culture, education and innovation”, unveiled

In terms of crime, London is still relatively safe, and the police are clamping down on certain crime, however around 140 murders a year in a city of nearly 9 million is generally comnsidered very safe by international standards.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:15 AM

839 posts, read 734,397 times
You are more likely to be "stabbed" by a certain protruding male body part when walking around at some certain parks late at night in London. The most popular of these certain parks is Hampstead Heath. If you are planning on engaging in said activities, please do it safely.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
when the police cannot stop the stabbings, the muggings and the moped attackers, that's the time to avoid places. maybe if you live there you haven't got much option but to travel in these areas but when those of us who live elsewhere can only go on the news reports to determine how safe or unsafe an area is, then it looks like crime is not only rife its out of control.
Oh, just stop with this over-emotive nonsense. Grab a paper sack and take ten heavy in - out breaths into it...you'll be fine.

Considering just the definition of what constitutes "violent crime", I'd walk around London at any time day or night before I would a LOT of far smaller cities world-wide. C'mon now, consider the premise you're using with the unspoken but plain as day implication these stabbings are somehow specific in origin as it applies to a religious demographic.

The need to have a particular bogyman in some peoples lives oft requires them to lose any semblance of rational perspective. Sad, very sad, bigly sad...…..yuuuge sad.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:05 AM

if you think nothing bad is ever going to happen to you then you are in for a big surprise, that goes for any big city-not just London- or any large urban area, its just the sign of the times unfortunately.
the best thing, wherever you are, is to be aware of what is going on around you, which unfortunately a lot of people aren't which is why they fall prey to the scum of society.
research "situational awareness".

Old 07-05-2018, 10:20 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Well, this post is more restrained on your part.

I would never suggest that bad things cannot happen to you ANYWHERE. That happenstance is not confined to large cities. That was precisely my point in my response to your post..

Put that unfortunate aspect of life into some kind of relevant perspective though requires you to understand you are no more at risk of a random stabbing in London and it's environs than you are getting shot in Buffalo, a city a mere fraction of the size of London.

I used Buffalo because as I'm sitting at my keyboard typing this the news just reported two unrelated shootings within FIVE minutes of each other.

I'm kinda thinking those two victims would have preferred to have been in London for those five minutes in their history.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:28 AM

I lived in a city for over 40 years, not a big one, so I know bad things can happen, and bad things are still happening in that place although I no longer live there, friends who still live there have told me what is happening.
I do think the level of crime is dependent on the population level.

Last edited by bigpaul; 07-05-2018 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-06-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am not sure why antone would want to walk in a city park at night, especially one that is closed at night.

The same thing has happened in other major cities such as NYC, and there are pros and cons in relation to redevelopment and gentrification. Just look at Hoxton, Shoreditch and areas sych as Brick Lane.

London has always been very diverse, although in terms of the East End it was always the poor relation and the money was in the West End and affulent suburbs such as Hampstead and Highgate. Tiday of course things have changed and you have Canary Wharf and the Docklands, as well as the new development in Stratford.

It will be interesting to see how the East Bank project progresses.

East Bank | Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

Latest designs for London's East Bank, “a powerhouse of culture, education and innovation”, unveiled

In terms of crime, London is still relatively safe, and the police are clamping down on certain crime, however around 140 murders a year in a city of nearly 9 million is generally comnsidered very safe by international standards.

I do look and don't always like what I see. In fact I worked at Canary Wharf in the early days when it kicked off. Some of those areas as far as living, in my view were to some extent various degrees of dull.

If anything a lot of the areas I knew, are far less diverse, interesting than years ago, when more varied demographics inhabited localities that today have been colonised increasingly by the' less colourful' high earning folk that have changed areas beyond recognition.

Not a fan of shiny 'new world' style constructions, that do not necessary add to the coherence and aesthetics of the area. Leave that sort of thing to Singapore and more recent new comers. Not saying all, just the proportion.

I have always found London a very safe city. Always been a great walker and never feared at any hour the streets of London. Not to say, haven't witnessed some very unfortunate things happening to others

Old 07-06-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I lived in a city for over 40 years, not a big one, so I know bad things can happen, and bad things are still happening in that place although I no longer live there, friends who still live there have told me what is happening.
I do think the level of crime is dependent on the population level.
Safety in numbers. I have found more likely to happen in localities where fewer are out and about on the streets.
A reason never felt 'threatened' in London. Saying that, one learns the walk and talks the talk to keep out of trouble. Always found it easier in London than some other places. Of course over the years a few 'things of an unfortunate nature' do happen. Law of averages, I guess.

I think crime rises with the level of depravity increasing. That is regardless of population. I know some small towns where I would certainly think twice about safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London