Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:21 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,057,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

I used to watch a show called Airport and it showed the airports in the UK, they had people walking around the airport with a machine gun in full sight.
Upon arriving in the UK, the first British police officer visitors see will be armed to the teeth. Most UK airports are well-equipped with armed police with large machine guns and handguns on full display .

UK Airports to Scan Faces - Newser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 09:19 PM

267 posts, read 1,287,344 times
Quote:
Doesn't anyone remember that after the bombings of 7-7 armed police were all over London.

They do have the armed police response teams AND I had heard but don't know if its true that weapons are stored at central locations around the city so should something horrendous start up, they can access them.

I used to watch a show called Airport and it showed the airports in the UK, they had people walking around the airport with a machine gun in full sight.
Actually no Lindsey. My best mate is a police sargent and only firearms officers can carry or use weapons. Standard cops have to use batterns or CS gas spray. Most major cities have 2/3 armed response cars patrolling the city all the time.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richt71 View Post
Actually no Lindsey. My best mate is a police sargent and only firearms officers can carry or use weapons. Standard cops have to use batterns or CS gas spray. Most major cities have 2/3 armed response cars patrolling the city all the time.
After those bombings, these armed officers were all over, thats how that guy that turned out to be Brazilian got shot, by an armed officer. In fact someone held him down while another guy shot him.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 AM

267 posts, read 1,287,344 times
Quote:
After those bombings, these armed officers were all over, thats how that guy that turned out to be Brazilian got shot, by an armed officer. In fact someone held him down while another guy shot him.
That's because armed officers were watching that appartment along with undercover officers after a tip off there was a suicide bomber in it. That's why he got followed and shot.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richt71 View Post
That's because armed officers were watching that appartment along with undercover officers after a tip off there was a suicide bomber in it. That's why he got followed and shot.
Granted it was a special case, but I'm pretty sure there was an armed presence for a while: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...29/nbomb29.xml

Old 05-04-2008, 12:59 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,019 times
They don't carry guns? Hm. My memory is mostly from the bombings, and they sure carried them then. I guess I just figured they always did, and never thought about it. Interesting.

But, uhm... I have a major problem. I have a report due on Thuesday named "Gun's don't kill - the truth behind the statement", where I investigate the potential correlation between firearms and murders/homicides in the US, Canada, the UK and Switzerland. I have found plenty of information about the US and Canada, some on Switzerland, but after many hours, I still can't find satisfying information on the UK.

I'm looking for information on how many firearms there are in the UK (actual numbers or estimated), what the numbers of firearm and non-firearm related murders and homicides are (both in total and per capita) and what the leading death causes (regarding both murder and homicide) are.

Does anyone know where to find this easily? (I've googled firearms uk, firearms homicide uk and some more, but still can't find all of what I'm looking for. I find bits and pieces, but I don't think my teacher would approve of that. And, after all, this report will make out most of my English C grade)

If anyone's got a clue, I'd be in forever debt

Old 05-04-2008, 01:18 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,594,161 times
why don`t you try "UK crime stats"..

Here`s just one at random...

as for the number of firearms,,Far more than the figures tell..

UK Crime Figures, Regional Crime, Burglary, Robbery, Violent Crime

Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,057,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
They don't carry guns? Hm. My memory is mostly from the bombings, and they sure carried them then. I guess I just figured they always did, and never thought about it. Interesting.

But, uhm... I have a major problem. I have a report due on Thuesday named "Gun's don't kill - the truth behind the statement", where I investigate the potential correlation between firearms and murders/homicides in the US, Canada, the UK and Switzerland. I have found plenty of information about the US and Canada, some on Switzerland, but after many hours, I still can't find satisfying information on the UK.

I'm looking for information on how many firearms there are in the UK (actual numbers or estimated), what the numbers of firearm and non-firearm related murders and homicides are (both in total and per capita) and what the leading death causes (regarding both murder and homicide) are.

Does anyone know where to find this easily? (I've googled firearms uk, firearms homicide uk and some more, but still can't find all of what I'm looking for. I find bits and pieces, but I don't think my teacher would approve of that. And, after all, this report will make out most of my English C grade)

If anyone's got a clue, I'd be in forever debt
In the UK 'firearms' is just one of the terms used - I'd also check 'weapons', 'guns', 'shootings' 'handguns' and other words for firearms.

Searching 'gun crime uk' found this

Gun Control Network - Home
Gun Facts

Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 PM

410 posts, read 949,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Sounds like a criminal with a firearm in London has the home field advantage.

I've always loved the gun control success numbers. England has enforced the policy of a disarmed citizenry since pretty much the Roman times so it's hard to really use them for comparison but Canada is a great study. They used to be just as gun-crazy as the US so they decided guns must be the problem. About 75% of the gun deaths were suicides and about 10% were stupid accidents with the remaining being actual crimes. Well they got rid of all the handguns and gun deaths did indeed drop. Those suicides started hanging themselves, the people who do stupid human tricks found new ways to remove themselves from the gene pool and the criminals are now using knives. Yes folks a blade in the gut is far more pleasant than a bullet. Oddly, the numbers haven't changed. Same number of suicides, people are now accidentally killing themselves with axes and chainsaws and falling trees while the criminals are fatally stabbing far more people. But hey! The number of gun deaths dropped and the numbers prove it.
But the US still has a murder rate three times that of Canada's:

Crime in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-31-2011, 12:10 AM

746 posts, read 1,676,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Sounds like a criminal with a firearm in London has the home field advantage.

I've always loved the gun control success numbers. England has enforced the policy of a disarmed citizenry since pretty much the Roman times so it's hard to really use them for comparison but Canada is a great study. They used to be just as gun-crazy as the US so they decided guns must be the problem. About 75% of the gun deaths were suicides and about 10% were stupid accidents with the remaining being actual crimes. Well they got rid of all the handguns and gun deaths did indeed drop. Those suicides started hanging themselves, the people who do stupid human tricks found new ways to remove themselves from the gene pool and the criminals are now using knives. Yes folks a blade in the gut is far more pleasant than a bullet. Oddly, the numbers haven't changed. Same number of suicides, people are now accidentally killing themselves with axes and chainsaws and falling trees while the criminals are fatally stabbing far more people. But hey! The number of gun deaths dropped and the numbers prove it.
The biggest argument going on right now in Canada.....The liberals want to keep the gun registry, and the cons want it gone...$2 billion down the drain!
Because as we all know, criminals use registered guns to commit their crimes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London