Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,099 times

Advertisements

I am an English Realtor who now lives in LA. I grew up in London and moved here 2 years ago.

I work in the property industry here as well, so have a great insight on the differences between the 2 cities as well as the differences in the relocation process. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out directly.

I spent 4 years working for Foxtons and so understand both markets in depth.

I can relate the processes here to those in the U.K. and vice versa.

Best regards,

Ed Hutchinson

Old 11-24-2016, 01:37 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in London/UK versus Los Angeles/Southern California?

I live in Southern California on the coast south of Los Angeles. I am considering some job opportunities in London. I have been to London twice but only for a couple days.

Below are some of the pros and cons as I understand them. Please add to this list the pros and cons of these two areas as you see them.

I am single, no kids, work in investment management, and love traveling. Thanks.

London/UK

Pros
* Financial capital of the world
* Incredible job opportunities (at least for financial services)
* Excellent proximity to the rest of Europe
* History, culture, character
* Cool British people
* Good public transportation

Cons
* Weather
* Cost of living
* Overpriced, low quality restaurants
* Flat, lacks natural beauty (at least right in London as I recall)

Los Angeles / Southern California

Pros
* Weather / year round outdoor sports
* Scenic beauty / beaches / mountains / open space
* Lots of great, inexpensive restaurants offering a wide variety of cuisines

Cons
* Traffic / lack of public transportation
* Cost of living
* Somewhat isolated (only other countries you have fast access to are Mexico and Canada)

What other pros and cons would you add to these lists?

Your London 'cons' are based on bad stereotypes and as for the lacks natural beauty bit?????

Old 11-24-2016, 01:39 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Goodness the original post was a while back! Where did this come from :-)

Old 02-15-2017, 09:09 AM

322 posts, read 275,565 times
apples and oranges, that's why London people love going to LA because it's so different from London in every way, London is all museums and culture and architecture and sophistication, and LA is freeways and gangs and pollution and palm trees

Old 04-16-2017, 06:26 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,008 times
Los Angeles is a freakingly sunny and dry city . Everywhere will seem like it rains all the time - London gets 110 days of rain . Thats 1 in 3 days .

But I'm sure if you can convince yourself enough it could be 300 .

It's like those tourists who go to Greece when its like 30c and come back and go ' WOW - you'll never guess but it was like 60c degrees over there ' lol .

Old 04-16-2017, 06:27 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,008 times
anyway , London's not a pretty city - . There are much nicer in Europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London