Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
As a general note, I think perhaps you need to do some more thorough research before you move to one of the most expensive cities in the world, with no job. Not the smartest move perhaps?
Brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
What a brilliant thread. No paranoia, delusions or racism at play there. I can only assume that you are trying to dispel the myth of Americans not having a well developed sense of humour that is unable to spot the irony in life.

More please.
Brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
As far as making personal attacks, you have posted a thread on the UK forum saying that English people are hate-ridden. Hmmm.
Brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustSpies View Post
I offered what I feel is impartial and educated advice for Americans who want to come to London. Ive lived in a few different cities throughout the world and in my opinion, London is hugely, massively, collossally bad and should be avoided at all costs. Most of the people Ive talked to in London agree with these sentiments. People from Western Europe and Australia, anyway. I dont know any Americans who live here (not as students, which dont count...obviously a different experience than people who work here).
You've clearly had a bad experience here, and that's obviously going to taint your view - you're only human. But I really don't think it's all that impartial I'm afraid. If it was completely impartial everyone would agree with you and there are clearly mixed views. I like Lincoln very much, but maybe some of the homeless people here don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
You don't see the relevance of comparing London to New York? Really?

That surprises me. You claim to be trying to make an 'objective' review of London, and yet you are not comparing a like city to like city. You are comparing apples to peanuts.
Are you calling London peanuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Londoners and English in general are very rude rather then move to the side so you can get by they will walk on the street or push you over. They are all ways in a hurry to get on the subway even though it comes every minute. They do not hold doors for you. Nobody says hello,please,thank you NOTHING!.
I've got to defend the rest of us here, that really is just London (unless you found a pocket of rude people elsewhere). I found myself doing it as well after I'd been there a while but I've not done it since I came back home, and nobody else does either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
We don't do this in general - just to you.
We laugh about it in the pub afterwards. It's a sport.
LOL. Brilliant.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 AM

493 posts, read 1,762,652 times
The US was the land of opportunity. It is now been taken over by the likes of China. The US can still get the greatness back but they have to realise that they are not at the top anymore and build back up from that. To be fair though, on reflection the problem I have with posts to this thread is the English bashing and the fact that some of the posters have referred to the English as being hate-ridden and hating Americans. I know London isn't great - I'm from the North

Old 05-20-2008, 07:54 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
I do ok and to be honest that has never been a criteria that i think about. I am lucky to be able to work when i want and live in the UK and USA when i want. So i suppose that could be that i'm doing ok. Maybe your criteria is higher or lower than mine. If you think London is wonderful, your criteria must be much lower than mine.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 AM

493 posts, read 1,762,652 times
Woa - never said London was wonderful mate. I'm a Geordie!!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:00 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I do ok and to be honest that has never been a criteria that i think about. I am lucky to be able to work when i want and live in the UK and USA when i want. So i suppose that could be that i'm doing ok. Maybe your criteria is higher or lower than mine. If you think London is wonderful, your criteria must be much lower than mine.
Far higher I suspect. And no I don`t think London is wonderful....As my posts show...

Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM

Then we agree.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:17 AM

92 posts, read 321,686 times
is London crowded? it has about 1/2 of the population density of NYC so it depends how you look at it.

is it dirty? i never noticed it being that dirty though i live pretty central.

is London expensive? yes, absolutely though geeoro why on earth would you go to an Outback restaurant in London anyway? all american chains (Domino's, McDonalds, Outback, Starbucks) are drastically overpriced outside America and for someone who has lived here you should have known that! i know of places in Kensington that sell bespoke sandwiches for 1 pound after 5pm and i know places in Fitzrovia that make 11" fresh pizzas for 3.50. i have even been to Micheline stared restaurants in London and had a meal for two with wine for under 100 pounds and you spent 90 pounds at Outback?! if you know where to go and where to avoid you can get around paying rip-off tourist prices which this city has is abundance. 4 pounds for a single on the tube just b/c they didn't know any better? come on!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 AM

I enjoyed the food in the outback in Florida i thought i'd try it here. First and last time.
Yes you can find the occasional promotional dish in a restaurant here. They are loss leaders to attract clients to buy the more expensive stuff. I'm afraid to say the quality of food in London is far below the general quality of food abroad. My wife and i don't eat in many restaurants in London anymore because they are poor quality, tarted up to try to attract the so called "fine wine and food brigade" Portions are small here and the service is sub standard in most english run restaurants.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 AM

92 posts, read 321,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I enjoyed the food in the outback in Florida i thought i'd try it here. First and last time.
Yes you can find the occasional promotional dish in a restaurant here. They are loss leaders to attract clients to buy the more expensive stuff. I'm afraid to say the quality of food in London is far below the general quality of food abroad. My wife and i don't eat in many restaurants in London anymore because they are poor quality, tarted up to try to attract the so called "fine wine and food brigade" Portions are small here and the service is sub standard in most english run restaurants.
the average restaurants are probs not as good but London has far more Michelin stared restaurants than any city in the U.S. including NYC. that being said they are expensive which just goes back to the argument that you need money to enjoy the best London has to offer!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:48 AM

I agree with you. It seems that if a restaurant here has any quality it is the signal to "rip off" clients. I was recently in a very famous restaurant in London which serves Neuvo cuisine. It was all plate and no food. A few mussels in a pretty shape with a signature sauce drizzled in a fancy pattern. Cost a fortune. I asked the waiter if they actually served proper portions and he seemed taken aback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London