Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:32 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,817,624 times

Advertisements

If anybody investigated the UK before moving here, they would soon be looking elsewhere. The places quoted on here as "nice" are the exclusive richer areas of London. Hampstead, Knightsbridge etc. You need big money to buy property there and even those areas have problems. The outside London areas are getting nasty too. I have lived in London all my life with periods in Other countries eg Spain, France and the USA.
The UK is by far the dirtiest country. The most expensive and the most jaded. Norfolk, for example, used to be a great county but is now being filled with Polish, portugese and many other immigrants. There are gangs forming in Thetford Norfolk who are pretty nasty, so violence is not now just a London problem. Most big cities in the UK are violent. Obviously you can pick out some good points in any country but unfortunately the UK is getting harder and harder to find good points about. Unless you call expensive, dirty, violent and racist, good points.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:01 AM

605 posts, read 2,375,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
You obviously have not lived in london.

Its the PITTS, the ops comments are spot on, no more no less.
I lived and worked in London for 10 years. How about you?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:19 AM

92 posts, read 320,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
If anybody investigated the UK before moving here, they would soon be looking elsewhere. The places quoted on here as "nice" are the exclusive richer areas of London. Hampstead, Knightsbridge etc. You need big money to buy property there and even those areas have problems. The outside London areas are getting nasty too. I have lived in London all my life with periods in Other countries eg Spain, France and the USA.
The UK is by far the dirtiest country. The most expensive and the most jaded. Norfolk, for example, used to be a great county but is now being filled with Polish, portugese and many other immigrants. There are gangs forming in Thetford Norfolk who are pretty nasty, so violence is not now just a London problem. Most big cities in the UK are violent. Obviously you can pick out some good points in any country but unfortunately the UK is getting harder and harder to find good points about. Unless you call expensive, dirty, violent and racist, good points.
in some ways everything you say is true. I like London but i am glad it is nothing like the rest of the UK, i traveled extensively to the suburbs around London and up into the midlands and they are terrible. the homes are poorly designed, the size of a shoebox, and horrendously expensive. i hate how they consider american suburbs cookie cutter when they have suburbs here that have rows and rows of identical terraced housing (yes, most people don't have a detached home which in my opinion is the reason most leave big cities...what is the point?) the countryside is amazing but again there really is not much to do there and living there would not be practical.

the areas i mentioned that are nice London are yes very expensive but they are expensive for a reason. the rest of the city is a dump and i am the first to admit that and yes the income/quality of life gap is absolutely enormous. even in semi-decent areas outside london central there is some horrendous post-war council development just around the corner which is why so many normal people experience crime. yes, i guess mixed housing was a good idea at the time but now the demographics of those estates have changed dramatically. it is no longer pensioners and first time buyers it is now full of welfare scroungers, chavs, single mums, and immigrant families. do not move here if you don't have money or do not have a high paying job...same goes for most (but not all) big international cities. i can afford it so i enjoy myself here.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:23 AM

29 posts, read 158,241 times
Actually, about 70 % are white in London and there are only 8 % muslims.
Here in Stockholm, Sweden a huge amount of the crimes are committed by muslims. Is that a problem in London too?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:30 AM

London is not a wonderful city. I have watched London over the last 50 years decay and rot. If you think London is amazing, that is a opinion of someone who has only lived here for a short period. Iknow what London was and what it has become. I live it everyday and i speak to a lot of Londoners from all walks of life and all areas. Children are now being sent to School in London with anti knife vests on because the violence has increased to a horrific figure. If you like London, great, but please don't imagine that your 10 years in a small area of London is a barometer of the life here.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:34 AM

Imigrant crime in London is huge and getting bigger. There are huge populations of immigrants here now. Many Muslims too but many of the Muslims are law abiding and they hate the problems here too. My neighbours are Muslim and one of them said to me yesterday that they also think immigration here is out of control. My wife is American and she had a completely different view of London until she moved here. To stand in a Bank with litter strewn across the floor was a shock to her and looking at garbage, dog excrement and rats in the street is a far cry from most of the USA.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:52 AM

715 posts, read 2,082,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
I lived and worked in London for 10 years. How about you?
Compare a measly 10 to 30 , and london is by NO means an equal oppurtunity place. It does not favor highly qualified individuals who come from afar distant places, this coming from an engineer with a wife who is a nurse. In the 7 years my wife lived in london, she had not achieved anything more than the 1st day she started, making nothing more than 20k per annum, and thats coming from a masters graduate in nursing.

Having migrated and lived here in the US for just over 2 years, shes achieved manageral status and is on well over $130k after a year being here. Her employers always sends her to courses to further her career. Its nothing short of Amazing!!. She only has to work 4-5 days (week alternating) compare that to laboring 6 nights on 20K in london.

I rest my case....

Old 05-20-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Imigrant crime in London is huge and getting bigger. There are huge populations of immigrants here now. Many Muslims too but many of the Muslims are law abiding and they hate the problems here too. My neighbours are Muslim and one of them said to me yesterday that they also think immigration here is out of control. My wife is American and she had a completely different view of London until she moved here. To stand in a Bank with litter strewn across the floor was a shock to her and looking at garbage, dog excrement and rats in the street is a far cry from most of the USA.
ummm...you just described most big cities in the U.S. as well. how can you compare a densely populated city of 8 million to any old town in the U.S.? London is actually quite clean in my opinion. there are no bins anywhere (to prevent people from putting bombs in them) but they have those street cleaners who i think do a wonderful job. there are bins every couple of meters in NYC yet it seems like the place is filthy. it is funny how the native brits b*tch about London's problems and then tourists come and they actually praise how the city is run. the city is clean compared to most, the transport is idiot proof and very user friendly (try using the subway in NYC), yes there are allot of immigrants (and not the kind that are law abiding or come here with respectable jobs lined up) but that is mostly the Labour governments fault (pandering to your electorate anyone)?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:57 AM

715 posts, read 2,082,045 times
Quote:
Yeah right on, the london that i knew 20+ yrs ago was never like that, although it was'nt paradise, it was never degraded to such filth.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Compare a measly 10 to 30 , and london is by NO means an equal oppurtunity place. It does not favor highly qualified individuals who come from afar distant places, this coming from an engineer with a wife who is a nurse. In the 7 years my wife lived in london, she had not achieved anything more than the 1st day she started, making nothing more than 20k per annum, and thats coming from a masters graduate in nursing.

Having migrated and lived here in the US for just over 2 years, shes achieved manageral status and is on well over $130k after a year being here. Her employers always sends her to courses to further her career. Its nothing short of Amazing!!. She only has to work 4-5 days (week alternating) compare that to laboring 6 nights on 20K in london.

I rest my case....
did she work in the public sector in London...if that was the case then your story does not surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London