Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:41 PM

50 posts, read 183,129 times

Advertisements

Murray,

This is a useful website. It has links to every local council in the country and info on health education, employment etc.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 11:55 AM

753 posts, read 758,781 times
Another useful site is UpMyStreet www.upmystreet.co.uk.

It can give you demographics, crime stats, school stats and other details about areas you're researching.

Not always accurate, but a useful screening tool anyway.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:15 PM

37 posts, read 302,017 times
Thank you all very much, those websites will really help me out! You've all helped me beyond what i could ask. i had know idea this forum would get such a response! thanks again and best of luck to you all!

Old 02-18-2007, 04:50 PM

Is Birmingham a good place to live?

Old 02-19-2007, 02:37 AM

184 posts, read 902,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray1 View Post
Is Birmingham a good place to live?
While most british will tell you straight up "NO, BIRMINGHAM IS A DUMP" it has imporved quite a bit in the past few years. The accent there is associated with being stupid, which I think is unfair. I don't ever recommend Birmingham as a place to live for anyone, because it is pretty grey... but I lived in Sutton Coldfield (north suburb) and in Solihull (south east suburb) and those towns have fairly nice areas, with decent houses... but still... I'd advise you to keep going on the M6 motorway and don't make the turn off Spaghetti Junction.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 PM

Quite near to Birmingham you have places like Worcester, Stratford Upon Avon and Warwick which are really quite lovely; but would be more expensive to live I imagine than most of Birmingham. I have not actually been to Birmingham myself but it is not renowned for its charm.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:09 PM

Default weather

How is the weather in the UK? What areas are better than others and how bad does it get?

thanks

Old 02-20-2007, 03:50 PM

The South East is the dryest area and warmest. I read recently that London has less annual rainfall than Rome. Last summer was very dry and there were water shortages. Having said that this last autumn and winter have been quite wet. The South West also has warm weather. The North West (Liverpool, Manchester) and Wales are known to be wet and get much more rainfall.

This page from the BBC weather website has information.
[url] http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/country_guides/results.shtml?tt=TT003790 [url]

www.bbc.co.uk/weather

has lots more information.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:50 PM

89 posts, read 368,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray1 View Post
How is the weather in the UK? What areas are better than others and how bad does it get?

thanks
Murray generally speaking the more you go north towards scotland in the UK the colder it gets although the difference is usually no more than 5/6 degrees at most from south to scotland. Weather is generally changeable but we generally get 3 cold months (although not this year..mild so far!) 3 ok months and 6 good to very hot months. I live in the north east of the UK and today we had 11/46 top temp with a low of 6/41 tonight. This is a few degrees warmer than 'normal'.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:40 AM

29 posts, read 102,704 times
I live in Scotland and this might be another area you might like to consider. I live in a place called perth which is about an hour from both Edinburgh and Glasgow and is not as expensive house wise as the big cities. Edinburgh and parts of Glasgow are on a par with London when it comes to housing prices, where as where i am they are a lot more in line with the rest of the UK. Still very expensive to live here though. We rent a 4 bed home and pay approx $1500 per month, we then pay $450 per month in council tax. Utilities come in at around $350 per month and phone, internet and sky TV costs another $150 per month. After tax (which is very high, my husband is taxed at 40%) my husband brings home approx $3400, and when you look at the above bills you can see we are not left with an awful lot left over. Our weekly grocery shop comes in around $150 for 2 adults and 2 kids. We have a company car so don't need to run our own but if we did it would be around $300 per year for road tax, and then approx $100 per month for insurance, then of course there is the buying and maintenance of it.

I am a nurse and although the NHS is free it is in a bad way. i cannot find a job because of cutbacks in recruitment yet nurses are very overworked and are in situations that are dangerous with regards staffing levels. I believe any one resident in the UK is entitled to free care, but don't expect to be seen straight away if you need to see a consultant, however emergency care is excellent and it is usualy pretty easy to see a general practitioner when you need to.

I have lived in a few places arounf the UK and living here in Scotland has been by far the best, we are planning a move to the states but not because we are terribly dissalusioned with the UK, but we fancy a challenge and have always wanted to live in the states. However there will be lots about Scotland i will miss, especially the beautiful countryside and the amazing heritage we have here, we also have some amazing beaches such as St. Andrews and then just an hour away you can be in the cairngorm mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London