Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 05:40 PM

5 posts, read 11,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim73088 View Post
the fact is outside of Zone 1 there are very few areas that i would consider "nice". hampstead and some parts of west London are good but the problem with London is no matter how nice the area is there is always a public housing estate (the projects) right around the corner. this makes ALOT of London look SERIOUSLY rundown. i was shocked at how much of the city consists of hideous 50's/60's style buildings.

Most americans live in very central very prime areas and do not get to see how the other 95% live (which is not comfortably). The pretty, historical, and romanticized areas are mostly in central London and are expensive (but it is worth shelling out to live in them...TRUST ME!).

I am an American (NYC/NJ native) who made the move to London and am enjoying myself, but my family lives in a mansion block in South Kensington which is not an area most people can afford. Alot of my friends live farther afield and to be honest if I had to live like they do I would be absolutely miserable. The nice prime areas are lovely and feel very civil/european in nature. The rest of London has been left to rot and looks unbelievably shabby (especially to an American). I have seen rundown areas in NYC and London and the bad areas in London are the most depressing filthy neighborhoods i have ever seen.

The other thing you should know is that the suburbs are not like American suburbs. Many of the homes are tiny, not up to date by American standards, are attached to one another, and on very small plots of land.

The last thing you will discover about the UK in general is how ludicrously low the standards of most brits are. They are the most resilient people i have ever met...no matter how expensive their daily life gets, no matter how much they are taxed, and no matter how bad things get they continue to "just get on with it". I think it is great but do feel bad at some of the stuff they put up with without even realizing it (this has alot to do with how bad the level of service is and the high prices of normal everyday goods)

I almost feel like I shouldn't comment this...you obviously haven't been outside zone 1 very much if this is what you think. I live in zone 6 and it is very very nice. What you said about estates being close by is true, it is mixed, but often that means there are very nice areas close by too. I thought what you said about homes not being up to date was interesting. From what I see the homes exteriors are older (obviously) so they might not look as "updated" but on the other hand the interiors tend to be more updated than in the states. Newer fixtures, appliances, electronics, design, etc. This of course varies house to house, but as a general rule this it true. And cars. People value nice cars here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 04:18 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim73088 View Post
the fact is outside of Zone 1 there are very few areas that i would consider "nice". hampstead and some parts of west London are good but the problem with London is no matter how nice the area is there is always a public housing estate (the projects) right around the corner. this makes ALOT of London look SERIOUSLY rundown. i was shocked at how much of the city consists of hideous 50's/60's style buildings.

Most americans live in very central very prime areas and do not get to see how the other 95% live (which is not comfortably). The pretty, historical, and romanticized areas are mostly in central London and are expensive (but it is worth shelling out to live in them...TRUST ME!).

I am an American (NYC/NJ native) who made the move to London and am enjoying myself, but my family lives in a mansion block in South Kensington which is not an area most people can afford. Alot of my friends live farther afield and to be honest if I had to live like they do I would be absolutely miserable. The nice prime areas are lovely and feel very civil/european in nature. The rest of London has been left to rot and looks unbelievably shabby (especially to an American). I have seen rundown areas in NYC and London and the bad areas in London are the most depressing filthy neighborhoods i have ever seen.

The other thing you should know is that the suburbs are not like American suburbs. Many of the homes are tiny, not up to date by American standards, are attached to one another, and on very small plots of land.

The last thing you will discover about the UK in general is how ludicrously low the standards of most brits are. They are the most resilient people i have ever met...no matter how expensive their daily life gets, no matter how much they are taxed, and no matter how bad things get they continue to "just get on with it". I think it is great but do feel bad at some of the stuff they put up with without even realizing it (this has alot to do with how bad the level of service is and the high prices of normal everyday goods)
I agree with much of what you've said, the UK or at least London living is almost thirdworld like, but I have seen just as bad in some of the inner cities in the US. Last I looked, they had row houses in New York and NJ. I could live in Kensington if I wanted, if all I wanted to do is rent a tiny place, as I couldn't afford to buy in that area so chose to buy in a less affluent area. I don't know where you get off on the homes build in the 50's and 60's, try turn of the century. Most homes in my area are Victorian, some smaller than the other, but you should see what some of us have done to our homes. The original iron and stone fireplaces are irreplacebale as are some of the features such as the wood floors, high ceilings and crown mouldings. Combine that with some creativity, building extentions and lofts, a good architect and builder and you have yourself a kickass home that puts a lot of homes in America to shame.

You need to get out more.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:55 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,194 times
This is symptomatic of all "megacities" and not just a London thing..
Most of us average Joes and Jills dont live like the picture is portrayed in travel brochures.

NYC
Tokyo
SFO
Bangkok
London

All have people on top of each other and a good percentage of these "homes" are not a new contruction. I live in Tokyo now, and there are amazing....amazing modern buildings and design, maybe some of the best Ive seen in awhile, however they can be nose to nose with something made of resin soaked wood and tatami mats from the Showa era. BUT the Japanese have an ability to view this with some sort of respect for history. Now the tenament buildings I have seen in NYC....well that is not a good history and does have a cell block type feeling. I agree that sometimes the older houses have more potential and vibe then the new ones, however the outsides can take the brunt of 1,000 storms...so the outside, does not always indicate the insides decor.

I would take any of these over a Mc Mansion in suburbia anyday...Oh wait those are cheap again!!
Just my opinion

Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 AM

11 posts, read 30,834 times
To the OP, I lived in Chicago from the day I was born until my 30th birthday and have spent the last six years in the UK. I always felt very safe in Chicago, maybe because I never had any major incidents and there seemed to be a cop on every corner. I now work in Camden in London, and god forbid my mother ever sees life on Camden High Street, she'd never sleep a wink knowing what goes on there. Thankfully I have my Chicago street smarts so I am able to handle it, but London always feels really sketchy to me, like something will kick off any minute.

However, for every person like me there is someone else from a very nice part of London who's never been burgled/mugged who may have moved to Chicago and gotten broken into their first night there. So I'd say it's pretty much a wash!

Old 10-22-2008, 04:53 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floreat Salopia View Post
To the OP, I lived in Chicago from the day I was born until my 30th birthday and have spent the last six years in the UK. I always felt very safe in Chicago, maybe because I never had any major incidents and there seemed to be a cop on every corner. I now work in Camden in London, and god forbid my mother ever sees life on Camden High Street, she'd never sleep a wink knowing what goes on there. Thankfully I have my Chicago street smarts so I am able to handle it, but London always feels really sketchy to me, like something will kick off any minute.

However, for every person like me there is someone else from a very nice part of London who's never been burgled/mugged who may have moved to Chicago and gotten broken into their first night there. So I'd say it's pretty much a wash!
Maybe the question should be...what part of Chicago (and how did you manage to be able to move to London?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London