Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 11:59 AM

157 posts, read 655,466 times

Advertisements

So I have to admit, I've never ventured outside the Colorado forum until now and I had no idea that a UK forum existed so I'm pleasantly surprised and figured I might ask a few questions here that I've had.

At the first of January I'm flying to London and will be studying at Westminster for the spring and will have an internship also in the City. I don't know just yet who I'll be working for because I haven't done my phone interviews yet but I do know that it'll be a financial company. I'm studying at the Marylebone campus and I managed to luck out and will actually be staying at Marylebone Hall so I'll have virtually no commute at all.

So on to my questions. I know *where* Marylebone is but I don't know anything about the area. I spent some time in England this summer but the majority of it was spent near Cambridge and in Edinburgh. I was hoping someone might know a bit more about the student population at Westminster? I can't seem to find much about it at all on their website. From what I understand, student life is VERY different in the UK as opposed to in the states. Pubs in the student union buildings? etc There's also no list online of class schedules but someone did tell me that often classes are finished by noon on most days. How accurate is that?

I've tried to do my due diligence in being prepared for 6 months there but I'm sure I have a slue of potentially stupid questions that will arise over the next 2 months. I know the weather is far different from here in Colorado so I have to buy new clothes (nothing any woman has ever complained about though...). But, for business attire, can someone suggest what is appropriate for women in the work place? I'm sure it goes without saying what many of the inappropriate things would include but I'd also like to fit in fashion-wise. I will admit, the British have far better fashion sense than most Americans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 12:24 PM

267 posts, read 1,287,546 times
Marylebourne is slap bang in the centre of London next to some of the area's of London like Mayfair (where you can buy a box room to live in for millions of dollars!). It's also where Madonna owns a number of houses and is/was living in London. It's mostly very smart townhouses wih some divided into appartments. There's a few local pubs in the area but many are costly. However if you've got a student bar these are usually very cheap!!
Sorry can't help you with timetables etc as I'm afraid I never made university.
In relation to clothes for young women (I'm kinda presuming you're young here so forgive me if I've messed up) I've suggest topshop. They're a chain of clothes shops that provides fashionable smart and casual to the 18-30 year olds mainly.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 PM

Thank you for the info. I didn't realize that it was such a high end area. All I know about it was that it is definitely a very nice area and I'm hoping the flat I'm assigned has a few of Regents park because it's right across the street from it. From what I've read, the entire building has just been remodeled so the flats are nice...and I can't complain for the price I'm paying for 6 months as a student...it definitely beats renting ANYWHERE in the city for 6 months.

And no offense taken at all...I suppose I am rather young in comparison (though I have my days where I feel quite aged...), but I'm 23. I'll have to see if I can look them up online and at least get an idea so that I might be able to buy *something* appropriate before I get there. Once I've done my interviews on the phone, I'll have one interview in person with the company I'll tentatively be interning for and I definitely want to make a good impression in person.

I will say I'm excited that the value of the pound is getting closer to the dollar again! It was awfully painful when it was 2:1 almost, AND on top of that, your cost of living is twice what ours is. Nearly $8US for a coffee at starbucks! I think when I last checked today it was 1.56:1. I'm just amazed though at how expensive things are, though I'm sure British travelers love coming to the states for that reason.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:13 AM

267 posts, read 1,287,546 times
Yes you're right in the 'posh' area there. Regents park is nice.

Here's topshops website:-

Topshop - Womens Clothing - Womens Fashion - Topshop (http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=12556&catalogId=19551 - broken link)

By the way marylebone joins Oxford Street which is the shopping Street of central London so loads and loads of shops there including major department stores.

Yes I can imagine things are dear for your guys from across the pond. London isn't cheap at any time but with high food prices and the exchange rate not good.
Of course as you say the opposite is true for us guys here with many people getting cheap flights just before Xmas last year to fly to New York and load up with cheap shopping when the dollar was 2:1 and fuel was cheap!

Old 10-29-2008, 01:22 PM

Haha, yes true...I'm sure it was great for some coming over here with the great exchange rate for you all.

Thank you for the website link. I'm actually surprised that the prices are pretty reasonable too because never in my life did I think I would pay what I did for a few tops when I was in England. I walked through the shops in Cambridge and found a few shirts and dressed that were on sale no less...and I think the cheapest top I bought was still around $40US. Very deceptive when you see the price in pounds lol.

I do have to say though that I very much enjoy the fashion on England. It seems far more reasonable and attractive for the average woman. Most of our fashion is designed for women that are 90 pounds soaking wet...and that I'm not! I had a blast in the shops there, trying on close that actually make curves look good. And you're probably going to laugh at me but I was very disappointed that I missed Harrod's when I was in London but I fully plan on visiting this trip (even if I likely can't afford half of what's in the store....).

I was also told that you can catch flights to places like Spain and Italy very cheap....so I'm hoping that's still the case when I get to London. Aside from my 10 day trip to England this past summer, I haven't been anywhere in Europe before so I'm hoping the take full advantage of how close everything is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London