Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 PM

142 posts, read 388,068 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am an American of British descent. In doing genealogy research, I discovered that my ancestors left Britain to come to Philadelphia in the 1820's.

They came from Lambeth in the area near New Cut and I wanted to find out some information on this part of London. I intend to travel to the UK in the near future and I hope to be able to take a walk through my ancestral neighborhood during the trip.

Is this a decent part of town, and is it a popular area with visiting tourists? Any crime issues? Are there any big attractions in this area?

Also, this may seem like a odd question, but which premier league football team is popular in Lambeth?

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 12:47 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
The most important thing to bear in mind when visiting is the Doing of the Lambeth Walk ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vCIEG0Bxc

Old 01-31-2010, 04:59 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Geographically Lambeth is, of course, south of the river.

I don't know for sure but I would imagine that people in the area would follow football teams such as Millwall or Charlton Athletic, neither of which are in the Premier League.

Just the other side of the river are Chelsea and Fulham both of which are in that League. Further east would be West Ham United.

Despite the proximity of these clubs, support for teams can be very localised, especially for West Ham and Fulham.

Once teams get mega-big like Chelsea these teams can get a wider following.

Just be careful what you say when you're there- these things can get a bit Tribal!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 16,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Geographically Lambeth is, of course, south of the river.

I don't know for sure but I would imagine that people in the area would follow football teams such as Millwall or Charlton Athletic, neither of which are in the Premier League.
Lambeth is South West London and Millwall and Charlton are from South East London. Maybe white working class in Lambeth supports Millwall but not necessarily. Chances are they are more into Man U, Arsenal or even Chelsea...

Old 01-31-2010, 03:54 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Just be careful what you say when you're there- these things can get a bit Tribal!
Rubbish! The average American tourist is unlikely to get into trouble talking about football, even in Lambeth.

You may be somewhat disappointed with what you find if in search of ancestry. Much of the architecture has been replaced post WW2, and the football mad natives more than likely moved to Kent and Surrey (and Philadelphia) years ago and travel into matches by train. Research exactly what you are hoping to see before turning up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London