U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,795 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
I'm 26 and have just recently paid off all of my debt and have decided to move to London simply because of dual citizenship and having a couple of friends there! I am in possession of both my UK and Canadian passport and my flight is booked.

I have a few questions, lots I've researched on my own, but I'm just not sure about some! I'm leaving on April 12th (49 days!) with a about 5000 CAD in savings and 3 years of banking experience (lending, investments) and have a Bachelor of Commerce Degree in marketing.

-Do I need to get any sort of health insurance from Canada while I wait to receive my National Insurance number while in the UK? From what I can gather, they will cover my health costs as long as I go to a NI approved doctor, but not until after I apply for an receive the number after arriving?

-Is it overly necessary that I open a bank account while still in Canada (HSBC or similar)? The passport accounts look fairly expensive (12 gbp/month, while some of the accounts opened there are free?). When I come over, I'll be carrying mostly cash I think (as I get a great exchange rate working for a bank currently) and then travelling around uk and other parts of europe, trying to live as cheaply as possible for as long as possible and then attempting to find a job when I have to!

-Not that I am really dead-set on getting back into banking, but since I have the experience, I feel banking might be a good fallback option. From what I can find, I am looking at anywhere from 10-20 gpb/hr? This doesn't really seem like I'm going to be able to live. What is a wage to look/ask for that will allow me to live close to city centre (flatsharing is just fine!). I want to be able to go out on weekends, have a small room in a shared flat (peeling paint not an issue), and eat on occasion. I'm just not sure what to expect! I know nothing about any of the desirable areas for young(er) people to live in.

-Any other tips you can think of that would make my transition easier with a few less surprises.

Please let me know! I'm getting closer to the day and need to prepare what I can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 03:03 AM

676 posts, read 1,471,364 times
You are confusing NI with NHS. National Insurance is the state pension scheme - you will get an NI number when you start work. You are fully covered by the NHS as soon as you step off the plane - you just need to register with a local doctor wherever you will be living. You will find it easier to open a bank account once there - be aware that your credit rating won't carry over from Canada - you will start at zero. You have picked a lousy time to move with no job - it could take you months to find one. If I were you I would make that my top priority and forget about the travelling around bit for a while. You may need most of your C$5000 for a rental deposit on an apartment. Good Luck !

Old 02-23-2010, 03:07 AM

3,668 posts, read 4,310,239 times
I would think that being a British citizen means that you will have access to the British National Health Service. You will need to register with a local surgery when you find somewhere to live. You will also need a national insurance number (I'm sure you can find out how soon enough online) to start work, and to use the NHS should you need to.

Open a bank account when you get here. After you have an address its quick and easy to open a bank account. The normal 'pay in draw out' account that people normally use as their primary account is referred to as a 'current' account - or 'checking' account in the US (not sure in Canada). You could probably open one online once you have an address.. you may also need a national insurance number (??).

London is expensive but if your prepared to rent a room etc then you should be OK. check out monster.co.uk, prospects.co.uk for jobs, and also register with a few recruitment agencies once your in town. Just search on google for banking recruitment (for e.g) and I'm sure you will find quite a few. I can't really comment on wages.. the recession etc has increased competition for jobs and squeezed entry wages, but employers in the UK will advertise wage/salary within the job add so you will have to decide what you are/not willing to accept. There are many who live in London on a minimum wage, but the average in London is around 28k I think (nationally around 23k).

Clapham in south London is a very popular place for younger people in London that want to have fun. One thing to note is that its the norm for landlords/agents in London to want 1 months rent in advance plus a 6 week damage deposit. If your rent is 1000 per month then they will want 2500 in advance.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,753 times
hi i was pleased to see your post - as i am in a somewaht similar situation - i have dual indian & eu citizenship and also considering going to londong to spend some time there ( through i do realise probably not the best time) - though i am still awaiting my passpost which i have applied for.i also work in banking - though i am still in employment

having lived in uk as a student before i found NHS is very accomodating - probably you could get a travel insurance for a month / 2 to play safe for untill you get registered with the NHS.

you can easily open your bank account once you get there - just carry some pounds (cash) / traveller cheques for use in the interim

i noticed this website for shared accomodation classified; you could try it out & maybe even book before you get there. also lots of temp traveller accomodation in central london - [generator hostels is quite conveniently located but there are plenty more]

London Classifieds - Accommodation and Jobs in London, UK

Id be interested to keep connected to so we could beenfit from each others experiences - though i suspect i would only be making any moves in june / later. if this works for you we connect on email?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London