U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:26 PM

292 posts, read 450,617 times
Good call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 02:40 PM

3,131 posts, read 2,436,160 times
You took your time You saw for yourself And you made a very good decision Good luck to you and your husband on whatever you decide to do

Old 06-19-2010, 12:18 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,468,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Thank you all so very much! I gave rep points to each of you who helped me. Because of the kindness of strangers on an Internet board, I was able to get a much better picture of life on Long Island. Besides reading this thread, I have read through many others over the last week regarding the high taxes, the poor economy on the island, the bad traffic, and other topics. I also read many positive threads about beautiful small towns and nostolgia about growing up on LI.

It made our decision much easier to have accurate information and opinions from those who live there. We finally decided to turn down the job on Long Island. Although it was a big promotion for my husband, we felt much of the monetary increase would be eaten up in taxes and the general higher expense of the NYC metropolitan area. We also were worried about the hassle of getting on and off the island. So thank you so much for all of the valuable information you give me. We enjoyed our visit there very much. The beautiful towns and all of the nice people we met made it hard to turn down. Thank you.
I can't blame you. I hope it all works out for you.

Please give my regards to Mei Xiang and Tian Tian. I was hoping there'd be a cub this year now that Tai Shan went home to China.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,231 times
Hi,
Moved here in January from Northern Virginia and i really like it for the most part. I have found that people are people where-ever you go. There were a-holes in VA, there are a-holes here. Take what you like and leave the rest.
As far as areas go, East of Miller Place, Rocky Pt., it seems very rural to me - vineyards etc., pretty but a bit more isolated. I really like Smithtown, Northport, and the Three Villages area. Rockville Center is very nice also but seemed quite congested and more "city" to me. The areas I mentioned have more of a town or village ambience but all of the amenitites that you would want like nice restaurants, good shopping, activities etc... seem to be plenty. I don't have kids so can't speak to the schools.
I have found NY'rs can be a bit more abrupt, but I find the humor in it and for the most part it's not personal. I have also met a lot of very friendly warm people here. Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:17 AM

3 posts, read 2,188 times
Miller Place is tight community. All the lifers accept you from day one. Nice community of older and newer homes with old history and McNultys the best Ice Cream on LI. Excellent School district as well. North Shore is a great place to live, plus The big St. Patrick's Day Parade runs from Rocky Point to Miller Place each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island