U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:20 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,685,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You mentioned crime as if it were a major consideration when moving to LI, so I assumed that was what you meant.

My point is it should not be true at all in any case, whether "free" or not and that includes for the civil servants, not just dependents. Private insurance being paid for, in full or in part, by the taxpayers for retirees and dependents (or not) should not be happening, period, in this day and age.
That's your opinion.

At any rate, I don't see it changing any time soon. As I understand it, retirement benefits for the civil service are the last thing to go. The state and counties will initiate a hiring freeze, make people work overtime, freeze raises, halt classes in the various academies, offer early outs, cut back on services, and so on before that.

You may not like it, but that's the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
That's the main difference and the caveat to my comments prior... Knowing what I know from long experience living on LI, the 900K price point is a world of difference from say 500k.

Right now I wouldn't buy on LI in the low to middle price points - thus my current situation.
I wouldn't buy on LI at all. I don't think a home here is a good investment, regardless of price. Heaven knows a lot of them are handyman's specials. For $500K? Yeah, right.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:54 PM

Thank you![URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/relationships/1003445-shes-perfect-except-her-family.html"][/URL]

Last edited by Yzette; 06-13-2010 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: I heart mods.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:32 PM

5,929 posts, read 6,226,297 times
Hi everyone!

We made it back from our visit to Long Island. We covered a fair amount of ground considering we were only there for a few hours. We started out in Manhasset, which had a beautiful downtown and lovely homes. But it was clearly out of our league - looked to wealthy and very few homes at our price point anyway. We would really rather not spend $875K if we can help it. We'd prefer a smaller mortgage, and if we can find a home in the $650K-$700K range, that would be ideal. Of course, we still don't have salary info.

So after Manhasset, we drove to Jericho to check out the office then through Syosset, which seemed okay but we didn't check it out too much - I think someone said there's no "downtown" there. Then off to Suffolk County. We really liked Huntington. The downtown area was great - very lively with beautiful homes nearby. I don't like what I've read about the train station being in a not-so-great area, but we'd definitely look more at this area if we go back.

Next stop was Greenlawn, which was nice. It didn't "wow" me but seemed fine. The high marks their schools get - Harborfields - is what attracts me there. We may have missed this - but we had a hard time finding neighborhoods - there seemed to be lots of long, windy roads. And I didn't see any sidewalks.

Then we drove into Northport, and all I can say is "wow!" It was simply stunning. The harbor was gorgeous! The downtown was lovely. We saw the high school and library, and some residential streets. My husband and I both fell in love with the "look" of this town. My husband lived in Marblehead, Mass when we was a boy, and it reminded him a lot of that town.

Then we turned around, deciding that Northport is as far out as we would go. We saw Centerport on the way back, which was pretty, but Northport beats it out with the downtown they have.

We didn't make it down to the South Shore at all. We did manage to find Trader Joe's in the Greenlawn area and saw Whole Foods somewhere.

Overall, we were impressed by the look of the towns - much quainter looking than where we live. And we loved the scenery. The people we stopped for directions were all friendly and helpful. I didn't feel like it was "snobby" overall other than maybe in Manhasset. That was all good.

The bad - we felt so far removed from the rest of the world! The time it takes to get on the island was frustrating. Getting off wasn't much better. I can't seem to reconcile this fact. I've always lived within 30 minutes of I-95 - in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, and now Virginia. I feel we can hop in the car and get out of town on a moment's notice and go west to mountains, east to the beach, north or South. There I feel like NYC is a big barrier to getting off the island, and that anytime we wanted to leave it would take over an hour just to get out of the metropolitan area - not during rush hour.

And the drivers! Oy! I know traffic. DC is horrible for traffic but for the most part it's civil and not crazy. When we left at about 9 PM, it was like we were all leaving a crazy concert or something. Horns honking, cars weaving in and out, someone waving their Puerto Rican flags out the window. I looked at my husband and said, "Your mom will never, ever drive here to visit." And frankly, I don't know that I'd be comfortable driving in that chaos called the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway with my three kids and minivan, and I drive pretty much all over.

At this point, while we really liked the Long Island towns we saw once we got out there, we hated the time it takes to get out there and the "out of the way" feel. The traffic and crazy drivers did not help. So my husband is going to speak to the boss and find out more about this offer including the salary and also find out if there are any other options for us.

If we decide to pursue this further, we will be back to look at the towns more in-depth, and I'm sure I will have a ton more questions. In the meantime, if you all have any secrets about "a quiet country road" (LOL) that gets you off Long Island, I would love to hear about it! Thanks so much again for all the time people have put into suggestions for us. They were very helpful!

Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 PM

I think today was Puerto Rican Pride Day--big parade in Manhattan that was expected to draw 2 million people. That flag-waving isn't an every-day occurrence. BQE is always insane, though.

Unfortunately, there is no quiet country road that gets you off the Island. Feeling "far removed from the rest of the world" sums it up nicely. You hit the nail on the head there, boy howdy.

I hope that whatever you choose, it works out for you.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:36 PM

295 posts, read 450,614 times
Your post brings back memories from May of 2004. That is when I made my first trip to LI to look at neighborhoods for a transfer. Things were rushed for us, and we settled rather quickly without exploring much. We settled in Sound Beach (Suffolk County). I'm happy with my neighborhood and school district, but there was so much I didn't know about when I was looking. It is very difficult searching for a house on the internet. I had a limited amount of time to look around.

Your description of your departure reminded me of a trip I took up here on Fathers Day in 2004. My husband was working and staying on LI during the week. I was working and home with a toddler in MD. We came to visit my husband. I left on Sunday night about 10:00 p.m. to return to MD. I thought there would be no traffic on a Sunday night after 10:00. First I was stuck on the LIE, then on the BQE. It took 6-7 hours to get home, and I lived on the border of DE. Getting off the island has always been a huge problem since I arrived. However, I did discover Southwest Airlines, which leaves McArthur Airport to BWI and many other destinations around MD and DC for a very low fare, if planned, and the trip is less than an hour. Easy...no tolls, no hassle, no road rage. My last trip to Baltimore cost 100 round trip.

I am familiar with Northern VA. My inlaws are in Alexandria, and I have been there many times. The stark difference between the two areas is the small town feel of many places on Long Island. I have many complaints about the cost of living and local politics. However, I have no regrets. We have enjoyed the beautiful landscape, and my child has thrived at the local school. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:27 AM

9,074 posts, read 10,495,376 times
Sounds like you got a good feel for the towns that you visited. Good job.

One of the things I came to hate most about Long Island is what you describe - getting on and off the Island. It's gotten 100 times worse than it was when I got out of college, and that's when I started to despise it, trying to go visit college friends who lived off the Island. We live in western Nassau and the biggest perk is being able to get off the Island in fairly short order, and we're still 30 minutes minimum from the Verrazano and that is on a Sunday morning with no traffic!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:50 AM

15,804 posts, read 16,870,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Hi everyone!

We made it back from our visit to Long Island. We covered a fair amount of ground considering we were only there for a few hours. We started out in Manhasset, which had a beautiful downtown and lovely homes. But it was clearly out of our league - looked to wealthy and very few homes at our price point anyway. We would really rather not spend $875K if we can help it. We'd prefer a smaller mortgage, and if we can find a home in the $650K-$700K range, that would be ideal. Of course, we still don't have salary info.

So after Manhasset, we drove to Jericho to check out the office then through Syosset, which seemed okay but we didn't check it out too much - I think someone said there's no "downtown" there. Then off to Suffolk County. We really liked Huntington. The downtown area was great - very lively with beautiful homes nearby. I don't like what I've read about the train station being in a not-so-great area, but we'd definitely look more at this area if we go back.

Next stop was Greenlawn, which was nice. It didn't "wow" me but seemed fine. The high marks their schools get - Harborfields - is what attracts me there. We may have missed this - but we had a hard time finding neighborhoods - there seemed to be lots of long, windy roads. And I didn't see any sidewalks.

Then we drove into Northport, and all I can say is "wow!" It was simply stunning. The harbor was gorgeous! The downtown was lovely. We saw the high school and library, and some residential streets. My husband and I both fell in love with the "look" of this town. My husband lived in Marblehead, Mass when we was a boy, and it reminded him a lot of that town.

Then we turned around, deciding that Northport is as far out as we would go. We saw Centerport on the way back, which was pretty, but Northport beats it out with the downtown they have.

We didn't make it down to the South Shore at all. We did manage to find Trader Joe's in the Greenlawn area and saw Whole Foods somewhere.

Overall, we were impressed by the look of the towns - much quainter looking than where we live. And we loved the scenery. The people we stopped for directions were all friendly and helpful. I didn't feel like it was "snobby" overall other than maybe in Manhasset. That was all good.

The bad - we felt so far removed from the rest of the world! The time it takes to get on the island was frustrating. Getting off wasn't much better. I can't seem to reconcile this fact. I've always lived within 30 minutes of I-95 - in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, and now Virginia. I feel we can hop in the car and get out of town on a moment's notice and go west to mountains, east to the beach, north or South. There I feel like NYC is a big barrier to getting off the island, and that anytime we wanted to leave it would take over an hour just to get out of the metropolitan area - not during rush hour.

And the drivers! Oy! I know traffic. DC is horrible for traffic but for the most part it's civil and not crazy. When we left at about 9 PM, it was like we were all leaving a crazy concert or something. Horns honking, cars weaving in and out, someone waving their Puerto Rican flags out the window. I looked at my husband and said, "Your mom will never, ever drive here to visit." And frankly, I don't know that I'd be comfortable driving in that chaos called the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway with my three kids and minivan, and I drive pretty much all over.

At this point, while we really liked the Long Island towns we saw once we got out there, we hated the time it takes to get out there and the "out of the way" feel. The traffic and crazy drivers did not help. So my husband is going to speak to the boss and find out more about this offer including the salary and also find out if there are any other options for us.

If we decide to pursue this further, we will be back to look at the towns more in-depth, and I'm sure I will have a ton more questions. In the meantime, if you all have any secrets about "a quiet country road" (LOL) that gets you off Long Island, I would love to hear about it! Thanks so much again for all the time people have put into suggestions for us. They were very helpful!
Glad you liked LI for the most part. I agree about getting on and off the Island being difficult and that is why I live in western Nassau and why I recommended a town on the north shore of western Nassau for you: Sea Cliff. If you come back, check it out. You might really like this one. You were close to it too when you were in Manhasset.

The BQE can be hideous, but the traffic that night was especially hard for you because it was the Puerto Rican Day Parade in the city. I am wondering if you actually drove through Manhattan or came onto LI via Staten Island and the Verrazano Bridge? There are also ferries off LI to Connecticut further out in Suffolk that you can bring a car on, so if you wanted to go to New England it would be easier.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:01 PM

748 posts, read 1,770,589 times
While going to NJ can be a 2 hour hike from Nassau county in on most days, it is not as bad as it is. The island includes queens and brooklyn, and if you add in Manhattan, there is not much need to get off the NY state for anything other than visiting family.

Throgs neck offers a good escape to go upstate for skiing ( thunderridge is only 45 minutes), and the catskills.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:12 PM

5,929 posts, read 6,226,297 times
Thanks for the replies, everyone! It helped to see how people who live there feel. Unfortunately, I am a white-knuckle flier, so that is out of the question. My husband spoke to the boss today and found out the general salary level, and that makes LI much more appealing. It's a very generous offer. He did say if we don't take it, there would be a place for us in North Carolina, but we don't know salary there.

Thanks for the recommendation of Sea Cliff. I didn't see that till after we got back. If this is a go, there will be many more town visits in our future, so we will check it out. And we may pay more attention to Nassau County. I like that there are more Asians there since my daughter is Chinese. And I also like the fact that it's a shorter commute to Manhattan should the job ever move off the island or if we decide to move, I imagine it makes the house more marketable. Another town I just looked at (online) is Port Washington. That looks very nice. But, in the meantime we just need to think over our decision. We have to let them know by the end of the week, but we might try to push it off to Monday so we can head down to NC and see what we think of that. Decisions...decisions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island