Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
At least now I know why my ears have been ringing all day

Yes I did the reversal, I moved from L.I. to VA. but like someone mentioned just south of Richmond. I really like NOVA but found it to expensive for what I was looking for.

Michgc you could DM at anytime. I'll give you the real unbiased info you need or at least some advice good or bad
There's probably a world of difference from where you live than how they have it in NOVA, so your info may not be that useful coming from south of Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
People are people everywhere, but whereas Virginians will express their snootiness by not having anything to do with you, Long Islanders are aggressive with theirs and are just plain blunt to the point of being rude. City professionals are one thing, but out in the counties, people have precious little diplomacy.
I do work in NYC (as do other regular C-D posters on the LI board) ... are you saying that we have split personalities: one for the City and one for the Burbs?

I like to think I have "precious little diplomacy" everywhere!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:21 PM

176 posts, read 474,620 times
avoid: Dix hills, plainview, massapequa, these places are rather afluent (not the whole towns) and materialistic me,me,me kids are probably bred there. Syoset also has that to some extent. Consider: Northport, huntington village, rockville centre. peobably has overtones of entitlement but there is some blue-collar element that makes them a bit more 'real' home this makes sense and does not **** anyone off...

Old 06-11-2010, 02:34 PM

302 posts, read 590,590 times
I agree with Avienne I wouldn't move if I were you. NoVa is more urban than LI, and the economy is booming over there while it's pretty much languishing here. Sure, Italian food is better here but Falls Church has better Vietnamese restaurants than even NYC. Housing prices may be about the same or even slightly less here but you get killed on property taxes (2-3x more than VA) which will reduce your buying power. Schools here are good but not better than what you have. Hiking and wine tasting in VA both beat out LI by a wide margin. Beaches here are much closer. When we were there I felt our money went further and quality of life was better. Overall, NoVa is thriving and LI is declining, and NYS is going broke so they are tacking on all these taxes and jacking up prices of everything as if we're not paying the most in the nation already. From what you posted, if you love what Vienna has to offer you, I think you will be disappointed here unless beaches and Italian food are your priority.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:20 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That's interesting about NOVA taxes. There are people who have posted on here who support the high real estate taxes on LI and SWEAR that the reason people in NOVA never complain about real estate taxes is because "they value education" (in contrast to what they consider "low-brow LI'ers"). They never mention that the real estate taxes are half of what LI's are (and thus people in NOVA have a lot less reason to complain in the first place).
Don't know who you're referring to, but I said they value higher education. That would be college. The D.C. area is very highly educated in general, with quite a few people holding multiple graduate degrees. That spills over into NoVA.

Now, when it comes to schools, Virginians are smarter than New Yorkers, my dear: With a few exceptions having to do with city incorporations and designations, education is done [URL="http://www.greatschools.org/schools/districts/Virginia/VA"]by county[/URL], not 50 bazillion school districts with 50 bazillion different budgets within a county. That right there makes it cheaper, because it's simpler.

Also, counties in Virginia take out something called "bonds" to pay for things like education, roads, libraries, and law enforcement. Plenty of hock that gets paid back one way or another. If not this tax, then another. The difference is that it gets spread around--again, by county, not districts within counties.

Which reminds me... There is something Virginians must deal with that would probably give you apoplexy: a car tax.

Don't blame Virginians because New Yorkers can't get a voting block (i.e. home owners) together to save their lives. The things people up here have been whining about for 30 years? Virginians would have handled four times over by now. Didn't want parole. Got rid of it. Thought "No Child Left Behind" was stupid. Didn't sign on to it.

Don't forget: Virginia led the charge for state rights. It's a point of pride down there to be able to change things for themselves when they need changing.

That's why I don't have sympathy for home owners here. They're lazy about politics, and therefore they are ineffectual. Well, that and the nasty attitudes displayed by some of them on this heah board raht heah.

P.S. Governors only get one term in Virginia. No pandering to anyone for re-election. Just saying.

Last edited by Yzette; 06-11-2010 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I do work in NYC (as do other regular C-D posters on the LI board) ... are you saying that we have split personalities: one for the City and one for the Burbs?

I like to think I have "precious little diplomacy" everywhere!
I think people become barbarians the minute they shove their way onto an eastbound LIRR train, but that's just me.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:13 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
I think people become barbarians the minute they shove their way onto an eastbound LIRR train, but that's just me.
You said it!! One person's opinion only...
I commuted for decades and don't agree--another opinion...

Old 06-11-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Hehehe. I am looking forward to the Capital One barbarian commercial on that. The guys can rack up points buying their monthly tickets ...

Old 06-11-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Don't know who you're referring to, but I said they value higher education. That would be college. The D.C. area is very highly educated in general, with quite a few people holding multiple graduate degrees. That spills over into NoVA.

Now, when it comes to schools, Virginians are smarter than New Yorkers, my dear: With a few exceptions having to do with city incorporations and designations, education is done by county, not 50 bazillion school districts with 50 bazillion different budgets within a county. That right there makes it cheaper, because it's simpler.

Also, counties in Virginia take out something called "bonds" to pay for things like education, roads, libraries, and law enforcement. Plenty of hock that gets paid back one way or another. If not this tax, then another. The difference is that it gets spread around--again, by county, not districts within counties.

Which reminds me... There is something Virginians must deal with that would probably give you apoplexy: a car tax.

Don't blame Virginians because New Yorkers can't get a voting block (i.e. home owners) together to save their lives. The things people up here have been whining about for 30 years? Virginians would have handled four times over by now. Didn't want parole. Got rid of it. Thought "No Child Left Behind" was stupid. Didn't sign on to it.

Don't forget: Virginia led the charge for state rights. It's a point of pride down there to be able to change things for themselves when they need changing.

That's why I don't have sympathy for home owners here. They're lazy about politics, and therefore they are ineffectual. Well, that and the nasty attitudes displayed by some of them on this heah board raht heah.

P.S. Governors only get one term in Virginia. No pandering to anyone for re-election. Just saying.
Not so fast ... you more often than not referred to Virginians revering education in general (referring to the public schools paid for by the taxpayers). Then you generalize LI'ers as despising education to the point that we are demanding teachers be paid next to nothing.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14077464-post63.html

Quote:
I doubt there's a mass exodus out of Fairfax because of the schools. The student/teacher ratio there is pretty good. The school system there receives more than 50% of the county's revenues, and although every once in a while some people there do grouse about teachers the way people grouse about teachers up here, it's not nearly as common. It's a different mindset there, one that tends to revere education and want to put money into it, judging by the number of bonds people pass in NoVa in general to pay for it.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/12910244-post222.html

Quote:
When you place a low value on teachers, your actions are saying that you place a low value on education. Don't shoot the messenger.

And not for nothing, but the homeowner nonsense doesn't fly with me. I live here, and when the education system starts to suck because people like you don't value education enough to pay teachers a livable wage, I will get to deal with the charming little products that graduate as a result. You know, the kids who end up semi-literate with no options other than to work in a factory in Melville and spend their lives oozing resentment for the things they don't have, if they don't end up becoming little criminals.

Of course, then you'll be screaming about how we need more police.

As for my supposed "agenda," why don't you put things in context? It is entirely congruent with what I've been saying all along about how it is so much easier for people with your mindset to try to take away something that someone else has rather than try to change your own situation so you have it too.

It is clear to me that you are more interested in saving a few bucks for yourself--because if you cut teacher salaries, how much do you REALLY think your taxes will go down?--than in the greater good. Good luck with that.
Need I go on?

Also, please note: I am not blaming Virginia or Virginians for anything going wrong here on LI.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Not so fast ... you more often than not referred to Virginians revering education in general (referring to the public schools paid for by the taxpayers). Then you generalize LI'ers as despising education.

[URL]http://www.city-data.com/forum/14077464-post63.html[/URL]

[URL]http://www.city-data.com/forum/12910244-post222.html[/URL]

Need I go on?

Also, please note: I am not blaming Virginia or Virginians for anything going wrong here on LI.
I thought you were referring to this thread, but fine, I'll own it--and you're not going to like what I say, but so be it.

I think the bulk of people on this subforum who incessantly complain about teachers--and you know who you are--have your heads up your arses with this. All you do is whine and complain and whine and complain and whine and complain like people have been doing here for 30 years. They were whining and complaining about it before I left in 1984, and they're whining and complaining about it now.

What are you actually doing about it?

Why, nothing. You're complaining on a message board.

To put it in Long Island vernacular: Whoop-de-frickin'-doo!

And dang straight I think teachers should be paid well. I think cops should be paid well, too.

If you can't afford the property taxes here, and you can't change things to the way you want them to be, then guess what? You can't afford to own a house here! Well, oh my word, it just sucks to be you now, doesn't it?

So please, feel free to dig up all of my threads. You'll see how that has been my sentiment all along, only I've phrased it much more politely.

I really have no sympathy for the whiners on this board. It's the same stuff, every day, and has been since I joined C-D in December. In fact, it has become so trite and useless, and the complainers here have demonstrated so very often how nasty they can be when people disagree with them, that here, have a bit of another post of mine, from another subforum:

Quote:
My local subforum has a different effect entirely. (FrmlyBklyn, please bear with. ) There are people there whose ideas I might be inclined to listen to (if not necessarily agree with), if only they could refrain from getting personal. Long story short, bashing civil servants and their unions is a sport over there, and my guy is a civil servant and belongs to a union. I actually sat the fence on unions in the civil service up until a few months ago--and my guy knew it because, hey, we talk, and I can be a little journalista when it comes to asking questions. Once I joined C-D, I even asked questions and presented ideas based on some of what I read on the subforum, and showed my guy some of the more articulate posts.

Now? The way certain people express themselves is such that when there's news of a property tax increase or a victory for a civil service union that will result in one, I couldn't care less. I live in an apartment. Not my problem, and I've lost sympathy. That's a big change for me, owing directly to my experience on C-D.
And that, as we say, is the end of that.

P.S. Steve Levy is a cop-hating, caterpillar-lipped scalawag!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island