Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of CAR do you have (NO trucks/SUVs)
AWD 9 36.00%
FWD 9 36.00%
RWD 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:00 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,457 times

Advertisements

The RWD Crown Vics that the cops use are outfitted w/very good snow tires during winter. VERY few people put on snow tires on LI. 98%+ of cars are equipped w/ "all season" radials or summer performance tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Thankfully we dont have to worry about it at present but everyone knows the best time to buy a Convertible is in the Winter (and an AWD is in the Summer).What type of CAR do you have? Seems like RWD is coming back in a big way. I guess FWD isnt always the best option with all the torque steer and all, Im just not sure if AWD is worth it for LI with the drop in fuel economy. Seems like the Cops get around all year in those RWD Crown Vics?

What do you guys think?

Have?

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 PM

332 posts, read 613,499 times
Cop cars are souped up with extra traction control, etc.

FWD have huge advantages over RWD when it comes to mileage, traction in bad weather, interior room.

Unless you are racing a car or doing a lot of towing, you are far better off with FWD than RWD in the northeast.

Quote:
Thankfully we dont have to worry about it at present but everyone knows the best time to buy a Convertible is in the Winter (and an AWD is in the Summer).What type of CAR do you have? Seems like RWD is coming back in a big way. I guess FWD isnt always the best option with all the torque steer and all, Im just not sure if AWD is worth it for LI with the drop in fuel economy. Seems like the Cops get around all year in those RWD Crown Vics?

What do you guys think?

Have?

Crooks

Old 06-12-2010, 05:40 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post

FWD have huge advantages over RWD when it comes to mileage, traction in bad weather, interior room.

Unless you are racing a car or doing a lot of towing, you are far better off with FWD than RWD in the northeast.
Its a myth. Cop cars have longevity items such as oil coolers installed along with a limited slip differential. Not much else.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
I know silly ; )\\\\

I meant do you live in the hills?

We have a fair share

Crooks

LOL Got used to the handling when I lived in Cold Spring Harbor which can be quite hilly - snow was no obstacle for me with the quattro, saved me a bit of shoveling too!

Now that I live on "flat" ground, I don't want to give up the "road hugger" feeling... I am hooked on quattro! (Besides, I still do business "in the hills" )

Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
LOL Got used to the handling when I lived in Cold Spring Harbor which can be quite hilly - snow was no obstacle for me with the quattro, saved me a bit of shoveling too!

Now that I live on "flat" ground, I don't want to give up the "road hugger" feeling... I am hooked on quattro! (Besides, I still do business "in the hills" )
Audi Quattro is pretty awesome and we have our fair share of hills too.

Im torn.

Crooks

Old 06-12-2010, 09:31 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Audi Quattro is pretty awesome and we have our fair share of hills too.

Im torn.

Crooks
Nice long test drive through "the hills" might help you decide

Old 06-13-2010, 02:11 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post

front wheel drive is fine, until its not then it can get you killed ... once a front wheel drive vehicle starts to slide it takes working the gas and brake together at the same time very skillfully to gain control again...

very few are even aware of that.. the owners manuals that come with fwd have never been revised and keep printing mis-informatiion about controlling the car in a skid with instructions for rwd..doing what the manual says can get you killed as easing up on the gas and steering into the skid will make it worse.

it takes alot of training to learn how to gain control back in a fwd once it gets away from you....

i can tell you the stability in fwd isnt even close to a awd or 4x4 on slippery surfaces , awd in rain is amazing when you drive thru puddles and dont even feel a thing.. its nice just parking in a snow mound and pulling away and the best is a good awd dosnt even flinch with fishtailing in the slop we have on our highways.

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CAN GET YOU KILLED

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-13-2010 at 03:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island