U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,448 times

Advertisements

Got the idea of putting a manufactured home in the backyard behind my mother's house because building an addition onto hers wasn't doable. She lives in Bay Shore, Town of Islip... is this allowed? What's involved? I'd like to get some input before I even get my hopes up.
Thank you.
-Stef
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 10:27 AM

2,936 posts, read 5,689,500 times
I would doubt very much that putting a second structure on the property will be allowed. You need to check with the building department.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:45 AM

5,130 posts, read 4,979,435 times
Depending on the size of the property involved, sounds like you might want to look into the possibility of a "flag lot", which you could subdivide into... They're fairly popular in some areas.

Good idea to check with the town.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:45 AM

15,856 posts, read 17,083,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNS400 View Post
Got the idea of putting a manufactured home in the backyard behind my mother's house because building an addition onto hers wasn't doable. She lives in Bay Shore, Town of Islip... is this allowed? What's involved? I'd like to get some input before I even get my hopes up.
Thank you.
-Stef
Are you talking about putting a trailer in your mom's yard?

I doubt it unless your mom has some serious acreage. I have never heard of anyone trying this, so you need to talk to the Town of Islip and see what they think of the idea.

There are homes on LI on regular-sized lots that have had their garages made into guest cottages or into workshops, artist's studios, etc., but any of those I have seen had been done a long time ago and I don't know if they would get away with it these days. There are also homes that have a main house and another smaller house (sometimes called a carriage house), but usually those were done long ago and are on an acre or more.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:26 AM

432 posts, read 592,184 times
Maybe try a fifth wheel? Also, a lot of this is going to depend on your neighbors. If they are low key, you wouldn't have a problem with a camper type thing. If your neigbors are snobs, you are going to have problems with it. As far as putting up a trailer...we are in PA right now and you will see it sometimes and no one cares, but people tend to be more stuck up on Long Island and would have a heart attack if something like this happened.

Besides the above, I couldn't imagine you being able to do this zoning wise. You have to have a certain separation between structures and the property line. I don't know how large the property is, but if it isn't huge, I could imagine all kinds of issues here.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:37 PM

152 posts, read 329,466 times
Has no one ever heard of a modular home? Here on cosmopolitan Long Island???

It's nothing more than a home that comes in pieces, and once it's put together, looks just like a regular home.

It is not a trailer or a camper. It's a house. My friend used one instead of building from scratch.

As pp stated, you have to be on a "flag lot" for it to be illegal. It used to be fairly common in the town of Huntington.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:59 PM

491 posts, read 702,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
Has no one ever heard of a modular home? Here on cosmopolitan Long Island???

It's nothing more than a home that comes in pieces, and once it's put together, looks just like a regular home.

It is not a trailer or a camper. It's a house. My friend used one instead of building from scratch.

As pp stated, you have to be on a "flag lot" for it to be illegal. It used to be fairly common in the town of Huntington.

Manufactured homes are what used to be called mobile homes. They are not modular homes.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:40 PM

15,856 posts, read 17,083,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Manufactured homes are what used to be called mobile homes. They are not modular homes.
Thanks for the clarification. Sorry I am not up on the latest vernacular, but I really don't care to be when it comes to manufactured (aka mobile) homes anyway.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:51 PM

1,820 posts, read 2,131,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
Maybe try a fifth wheel? Also, a lot of this is going to depend on your neighbors. If they are low key, you wouldn't have a problem with a camper type thing. If your neigbors are snobs, you are going to have problems with it. As far as putting up a trailer...we are in PA right now and you will see it sometimes and no one cares, but people tend to be more stuck up on Long Island and would have a heart attack if something like this happened.

Besides the above, I couldn't imagine you being able to do this zoning wise. You have to have a certain separation between structures and the property line. I don't know how large the property is, but if it isn't huge, I could imagine all kinds of issues here.
So I am a snob if I don't like the idea of my neighbor having someone living in a camper/trailer on his property? You are serious?

Old 06-13-2010, 06:56 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,160,541 times
A modular home is a prefabricated home. It is not mobile. It's not going any where. A modular home is the equivalent of self-assembly furniture from IKEA. It comes in a "kit" and you put together the parts. It's not hugely popular on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island