Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 03:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Taking a quick look-see at the community vs school district maps, depending where a property is located in the Village of North Hills, that property could be within anyone of 4 or so school districts: the Manhasset Union Free School District, the Roslyn Union Free School District, the Herricks Union Free School District and the Great Neck Union Free School District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 05:32 PM

42 posts, read 112,830 times
I was just curious if the Manhasset school district had a decent Jewish population? Growing up in Suffolk, I was under the impression it didn't.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:37 AM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
I don't think it has anymore than the typical district on LI. With St. Mary's church right there, I think it is significantly Catholic.

They have a lot of Asian/Indian/Middle Eastern type of families that move in.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:44 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
My niece graduated from Syosset HS and loved it. There were a good number of Asians and Indians there taking honors at graduation. Jews and other ethnic groups were represented as well. But it is not as Jewish as it once was.
As far as the mean girl thing - yes I do think it's there. In fact my own niece may be a "mean girl" and also has complained about "mean girls"
She is my god daughter and I love her but she just might be a mean girl.
Manhasset has a very Catholic vibe with the St Marys etc.
IMO they are mean too but in a whole other way.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:23 PM

57 posts, read 166,536 times
I know many of Long Island's top districts first-hand and I must say Wheatley schools are a good choice if you want a down-to-earth "feel."

Old 08-01-2010, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,636 times
just so you know--Great Neck school district has been attracting a lot of Koreans in recent years

Old 01-15-2011, 07:17 AM

9 posts, read 25,268 times
What is everyones thought on harborfields compared to these schools and the mean girl issue. Wondering if the original poster found any more info. We are in the same situation wanting to avoid that issue but getting a terrific education for our girls.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:18 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabellaanne View Post
What is everyones thought on harborfields compared to these schools and the mean girl issue. Wondering if the original poster found any more info. We are in the same situation wanting to avoid that issue but getting a terrific education for our girls.
It can depend partly on the age of your girls when they enter the SD.
In CSH, if it's early on, they'll be fine, because they'll know everybody. If they're starting in High School, it'll be more difficult, because "cliques", "groups", etc. were established in Junior High, if not before. (Speaking from personal experience )

Old 01-15-2011, 02:52 PM

59 posts, read 91,110 times
In strictly racial terms, Israelis (and indeed all people of Middle-Eastern descent) are considered "Caucasian."

Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
I think there can be mean girls everywhere. A friend grew up in Syosset as one of the "have nots" in a land of "haves" and I heard it can be brutal.

Also, I dont think I would want to be exposed as a kid to things I dont have on a daily basis-20 years ago it was gucci handbags-Im thinking vacations, cars, housekeepers, clothes, etc.

Not to say all parents with $$ are absent but I have come across that a lot-they are out vacationing, socializing, primping themselves-not at home putting the kids on/off the bus-and not because they are working.

I guess it depends where you are on the food ($$) chain. I would prefer to be middle of the road somewhere-just my opinion-

Good luck whatever you chose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island