U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 AM

939 posts, read 1,960,534 times

Advertisements

i'm hungry for lasagna now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 AM

3,939 posts, read 7,478,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I'm in Chesterfield.....That's what I'm saying, there is great opportunity here if you can make good Italian food. I'm working on opening a place with two others and they are both from NY also.
Hull Street Road, I assume?

Or maybe Ironbridge Road?

Those are the two main roads in that area..

Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 AM

4,086 posts, read 7,169,125 times
I'm not Italian but I sure enjoyed having a big Italian influence in my neighborhood. People with close families who were generous and would take you in as if you were family. I miss my Italian neighbors.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:02 AM

3,939 posts, read 7,478,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I'm not Italian but I sure enjoyed having a big Italian influence in my neighborhood. People with close families who were generous and would take you in as if you were family. I miss my Italian neighbors.
I grew up in a very Portuguese neighborhood.. never got any of that.

Now I'm in a very Orthodox Jewish area and I'm not part of the club so I'm ignored

Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 AM

527 posts, read 865,237 times
IMO Italian neighborhoods are the best neighborhoods to live in, I know speaking of queens areas once "the Italians" moved out the neighborhoods went downhill-

Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 AM

8,831 posts, read 14,234,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
If anyone of you spoke about blacks or jews like you just did about Italian-Americans you would be nailed to the cross by the resident liberal race baiters on this board.

I will agree on most comments but they really do apply to past generations. Even Massapizza is not the Italian ghetto it once was.
I always heard the nickname was Matzopizza because it had large numbers of both Italians and Jews (Bobby Slayton, a Jewish stand-up comic from the town, jokes about the term a lot).

Actually, Long Island has probably an almost equally high Jewish component, but the Census Bureau counts Jews as their European country of origin, so it gets added to the numbers for Germans, Poles, Russians, etc. For both Jews and Italians the answer is simply that very very large numbers immigrated to NY City, and Long Island is simply one of many suburbs that these groups moved to over time from the City. Westchester and many parts of NJ are heavily Italian and/or Jewish too and to a lesser extent parts of southwest CT as well.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,779,398 times
Going 36 posts and STILL no one has mentioned...."IT"S THE WATER"...

Italy is a penninsula surrounded on three sides by H20

Long Island is a completely surrounded by the same stuff, I am not Italian American, but do live in a waterfront community and have many I.A. neighbors.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:28 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes the benefit of being a part of a branch of the prevailing American religion of the time.
Catholicism, the religion of many Italian immigrants (as well as their Irish counterparts,) was not the 'prevailing' American religion of the time.

Protestants represented a fair portion of the wealthy and upper class. Think of the acronym W.A.S.P.

Catholics were looked down upon like dirt.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:37 AM

52,624 posts, read 75,451,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Catholicism, the religion of many Italian immigrants (as well as their Irish counterparts,) was not the 'prevailing' American religion of the time.

Protestants represented a fair portion of the wealthy and upper class. Think of the acronym W.A.S.P.

Catholics were looked down upon like dirt.
Very true and immigration from European countries with a strong Catholic basis was a part of the reason for the KKK, as well as Blacks moving from the South. Hence, the presence on Long Island at the time due to all of these groups coming the area around the same time to some degree.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 AM

8,680 posts, read 12,841,822 times
Default Remember the Maine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have never understood is why so many Italian - Americans continue - generation after generation - to define them selves as such. I am not against having pride in one's ancestry, but to speak and talk about it on a regular basis seems unusual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Also, one must realize that most Americans of Italian decent are on their 3rd, 4th, or even 5th, generation in America. By now many of these Italian-Americans are now Italian-Irish-Americans, or Italian-German-Americans, etc...These folks are more American than Italian at this point and they're picking McDonald's over Manicotti.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
So, then they are just American then? Born and raised here all their lives.
Hyphenation does seem quaint, doesn't it?

Conventional wisdom is that you stop "hyphenating" during or after the third generation, so there's no hyphenation going on here. Aside from becoming a citizen, which itself is enough to call yourself American, I'd say that once someone fights on the U.S. side of a war, all bets with hyphenation are off, anyway--which takes my family right out as my great-grandfather fought in the Spanish-American War, and so it continued in WWI with my grandfather and WWII with my father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island