U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM

94 posts, read 213,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
I'm second generation Italian - growing up, my entire family (and it was very large) lived in walking distance of each other. When they decided to move from Brooklyn to Queens, the entire family moved - they bought houses together, etc. No one moved out until they were married, and no one left the neighborhood. My generation, however, all moved out as soon as we could afford to - we are scattered all over the place now. I think as previous generations came to NY from Italy, they wanted to stay in areas that were familiar to them - where there were stores that catered to them and people who spoke the language. As generations passed that was no longer as important. Looking back, I remember those Saturday nights at my great grandmother's house where my 20+ cousins played and no one got into a car to get there. Now it is a 3 hour drive for my kids to see their cousins.
We came from Italy in the early 80's and most of my cousins (all in our late 20's to mid 30's) moved out as fast as we could...Problem is we grew up in Brooklyn, so that meant some of us moved to SI and Jersey others moved to LI and some moved to the NY away from NY...FL
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 01:09 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,215,704 times
Because many Italians moved to Long Island from NYC

Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 PM

2,516 posts, read 6,020,264 times
Was the cast on Jersey Shore predominantly Italian Americans ?
If yes, then were they trying to emulate the Italian in them or the American in them or neither ??

Old 06-15-2010, 01:36 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,730,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1122 View Post
We came from Italy in the early 80's and most of my cousins (all in our late 20's to mid 30's) moved out as fast as we could...
Italians coming from different areas, let alone from different time periods, on the Italian peninsula have differing cultural patterns.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:19 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,956,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
OhBehave - i was not inferring that Italians were WASPs, just that they in some small way had a "leg up" over Jews because last I checked, Roman Catholic is a Christian religion.

Yes I am well aware that both Irish and Italians were reviled when they first came to this country.
Most groups still are, unfortunately
I see a good deal of prejudiced coming from so many Long Islanders towards these newer immigrants. .

Please go back and reread what I had written.

Christians and Catholics are not one in the same, other than the belief in Christ and the New Testament.

To the Protestants Catholicism was a gutter religion, nevermind the fact that many Protestant groups formed after splintering away from Catholicism in the 1500's.

Being a Catholic was not in any way the 'leg up' you would like to think it was. Being Catholic and speaking a foreign language, was as bad as being a Jew in that era.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:25 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,730,964 times
Protestants are Christians. Roman Catholics are Christians. Greek Orthodox Catholics are Christians. Anyone who believes in the divinity of Jesus of Nazareth is a Christian (that includes LDS, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.)

Old 06-15-2010, 03:40 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,865,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
So therein lies the rub! You don't want to cook! I tease, I tease!
Heh!

I will say this, though: I can. In fact, I make a mean tray of stuffed shells. I just don't wanna. See, once you start, then they expect it.

Other observations related to the thread...

Didn't most of the cast from Jersey Shore actually come from Long Island? I don't watch it. I've seen bits of it and it makes me cringe. Yo.

I bear no animosity toward Hispanic immigrants. In fact, I appreciate that far fewer people mispronounce my last name now than 20 years ago, something I attribute to increasing bilingualism and exposure to Spanish across all races in the U.S. If you understand Spanish pronunciation, you'll probably nail Italian last names on the first try, too.

Stereotypes of Italian men, excuse me, American men of Italian descent, grate on me. However, after high school, it took me 23 years to date another one--and look what happened! I'm here, bugging you guys. You people. Y'all. Yeah, that's it. Y'all.

Mumbled something the other day I haven't said in as many years, too. "Dresses like a little putana, that one."

Old 06-15-2010, 03:48 PM

2,516 posts, read 6,020,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Heh!

Didn't most of the cast from Jersey Shore actually come from Long Island? I don't watch it. I've seen bits of it and it makes me cringe. Yo.
Same here, I heard the Italian Americans were up in arms against the producers for portraying the whole community in such a bad light.... especially for use of the 'G' words.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:18 PM

9,939 posts, read 13,006,253 times
At least one character, perhaps the most loathsome, of the Jersey Shore cast "Snookie" is from "De-ya Pawk"

It wouldn't surprise me if most or all of these knuckleheads are from LI.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:53 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,986,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
If anyone of you spoke about blacks or jews like you just did about Italian-Americans you would be nailed to the cross by the resident liberal race baiters on this board.

I will agree on most comments but they really do apply to past generations. Even Massapizza is not the Italian ghetto it once was.
That's MatzohPizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island