Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:09 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Hyphenation does seem quaint, doesn't it?

Conventional wisdom is that you stop "hyphenating" during or after the third generation, so there's no hyphenation going on here. Aside from becoming a citizen, which itself is enough to call yourself American, I'd say that once someone fights on the U.S. side of a war, all bets with hyphenation are off, anyway--which takes my family right out as my great-grandfather fought in the Spanish-American War, and so it continued in WWI with my grandfather and WWII with my father.

While that's true to a certain extent, there are still some cultural traditions passed down from the forebear's country of origin. Despite assimilation into the lifestyle of an American citizen, traditions are handed down such as food, music, dance, language, literature, as well as the connection to any family remaining in the 'old' country.

We'll always have our surnames to remind us of a portion of our origin, so while hyphenating should be dropped after a generation or two, we will always be reminded of where some of our ancestors came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
While that's true to a certain extent, there are still some cultural traditions passed down from the forebear's country of origin. Despite assimilation into the lifestyle of an American citizen, traditions are handed down such as food, music, dance, language, literature, as well as the connection to any family remaining in the 'old' country.

We'll always have our surnames to remind us of a portion of our origin, so while hyphenating should be dropped after a generation or two, we will always be reminded of where some of our ancestors came from.
To each their own.

I'm American. That's pretty much it. In fact, I cannot stand it when people bring Italian into it, because then they expect me to cook. Fuhgettaboudit!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:24 AM

149 posts, read 317,369 times
I'm second generation Italian - growing up, my entire family (and it was very large) lived in walking distance of each other. When they decided to move from Brooklyn to Queens, the entire family moved - they bought houses together, etc. No one moved out until they were married, and no one left the neighborhood. My generation, however, all moved out as soon as we could afford to - we are scattered all over the place now. I think as previous generations came to NY from Italy, they wanted to stay in areas that were familiar to them - where there were stores that catered to them and people who spoke the language. As generations passed that was no longer as important. Looking back, I remember those Saturday nights at my great grandmother's house where my 20+ cousins played and no one got into a car to get there. Now it is a 3 hour drive for my kids to see their cousins.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
To each their own.

I'm American. That's pretty much it. In fact, I cannot stand it when people bring Italian into it, because then they expect me to cook. Fuhgettaboudit!

So therein lies the rub! You don't want to cook! I tease, I tease!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
I'm second generation Italian - growing up, my entire family (and it was very large) lived in walking distance of each other. When they decided to move from Brooklyn to Queens, the entire family moved - they bought houses together, etc. No one moved out until they were married, and no one left the neighborhood. My generation, however, all moved out as soon as we could afford to - we are scattered all over the place now. I think as previous generations came to NY from Italy, they wanted to stay in areas that were familiar to them - where there were stores that catered to them and people who spoke the language. As generations passed that was no longer as important. Looking back, I remember those Saturday nights at my great grandmother's house where my 20+ cousins played and no one got into a car to get there. Now it is a 3 hour drive for my kids to see their cousins.
Not Italian, but on my Spanish side we had almost the same thing. What a great time we had as kids until our families fled the city. Even then, we were within 30 mins of grandma.

My experience only: some family cohesiveness was lost as everyone moved further apart. It was sort of sad to me, personally.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:06 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Last I checked Massapequa was on LI. :p;)
So, too, is Howard Beach!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
So, too, is Howard Beach!
I was tempted to include it, but omitted it strictly because many Brooklyn and Queens residents consider themselves 'the city' despite being firmly planted on LI proper.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:16 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
In many Italian-American neighborhoods, you'll also find American-Jews.

Among other factors, Italians, relative to other ethnic groups, were never anti-Semitic; and, Italians and Jews enjoy each others cooking spells.

Recently released DNA studies, Studies Show Jews Genetic Similarity , report that Ashkenazi (central and eastern European) and Sephardic (Spain and Portugal) Jewry have a measurable amount of Italian DNA. Prior to Christianity, many Romans and others on the Italian peninsula converted to Judaism (it's estimated, circa the 1st Century BCE, 10% of the Roman world was Jewish).

Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Recently released DNA studies, Studies Show Jews Genetic Similarity , report that Ashkenazi (central and eastern European) and Sephardic (Spain and Portugal) Jewry have a measurable amount of Italian DNA. Prior to Christianity, many Romans and others on the Italian peninsula converted to Judaism (it's estimated, circa the 1st Century BCE, 10% of the Roman world was Jewish).
Visions of True Romance and Dennis Hopper / Christopher Walken.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:46 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
OhBehave - i was not inferring that Italians were WASPs, just that they in some small way had a "leg up" over Jews because last I checked, Roman Catholic is a Christian religion.

Yes I am well aware that both Irish and Italians were reviled when they first came to this country.
Most groups still are, unfortunately
I see a good deal of prejudiced coming from so many Long Islanders towards these newer immigrants. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island