Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
LIers study in the best schools and go to Ivy colleges and live in amazing houses, they are rich and also become very well rounded individuals compared to anywhere else in the USA, in short LI is the best place on earth.

Yeah maybe after 10 of these
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 02:03 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Welcome to Utopia!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Yeah maybe after 10 of these
Cmon now... You guys know me better !!

I could only pull it off because the OP said they had never lived outside NY...

Old 06-17-2010, 07:17 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
At the risk of being serious, this post exemplifies the problem that life long NY'ers face (my wife is a prime example).
and what does the post I was replying to exemplify? lol...

Quote:
There is this feeling that everywhere else (with the exception of cities they may know like LA, Chicago, etc) is the boonies and no where else is as developed or intelligent as New York. There was alot of truth to that....in 1972!! In the 90's the South and West exploded. I don't mean the cookie-cutter retirement homes in Vegas. Raleigh-Durham, Austin, Houston, San Diego, Charlotte and surrounding areas have homes that continue to appreciate even with the downturn. New housing stocks, new schools, malls, roads, low taxes, incentives to new business development. Sooner or later they even get PIZZA and BAGELS (ok, crappy, but still)! Sort of like LI in the 50's. Unfortunately, LI is STILL in the 50's!!
well congrats to those areas for finally making their way into the 20th century!! Albeit in the 90's, but better late than never....lol.

Quote:
The wealth has spread south and west and that includes the opportunities. Some places are experiencing growth, others decline. LI is in decline.
Seriously, I agree with most of what your'e saying here. I don't think any reasonable person actually thinks people in "newer" developed areas are any less "intelligent" or whatever compared to New Yorkers or residents of any major city or suburb of a major city. I think you'd agree, however, that those newer areas can't quite replicate all of the various cultural, entertainment, etc. resources available in NYC. Obvoiusly if somebody is not interested in those things or unable to take advantage of them, then by all means, head south or west or wherever else you can live cheaper!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
At the risk of being serious, this post exemplifies the problem that life long NY'ers face (my wife is a prime example). There is this feeling that everywhere else (with the exception of cities they may know like LA, Chicago, etc) is the boonies and no where else is as developed or intelligent as New York. There was alot of truth to that....in 1972!! In the 90's the South and West exploded. I don't mean the cookie-cutter retirement homes in Vegas. Raleigh-Durham, Austin, Houston, San Diego, Charlotte and surrounding areas have homes that continue to appreciate even with the downturn. New housing stocks, new schools, malls, roads, low taxes, incentives to new business development. Sooner or later they even get PIZZA and BAGELS (ok, crappy, but still)! Sort of like LI in the 50's. Unfortunately, LI is STILL in the 50's!!

The wealth has spread south and west and that includes the opportunities. Some places are experiencing growth, others decline. LI is in decline.

Goose all true and good thing you said it not me If I said something like that.....the lynch mob would be out in full force ! (p.s. I found a good bagel and even good NY style pizza here in Central Va. just not good Italian food)

Old 06-17-2010, 09:42 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Those newer areas can't quite replicate all of the various cultural, entertainment, etc. resources available in NYC. Obvoiusly if somebody is not interested in those things or unable to take advantage of them, then by all means, head south or west or wherever else you can live cheaper!
There is more to it than what meets the eye.
NYC also needs people who are not into the cultural scene, entertainment etc to take care of the other day to day stuff so that the creative people can concentrate on what they do best. If everyone who is not interested in the NYC scene moves out, then there will be no NYC cultural/entertainment/(insert-whatever-feel-good-jargon) left ! Any region will succeed if it can hold onto those people who are happy with "just living" there.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
and what does the post I was replying to exemplify? lol...

well congrats to those areas for finally making their way into the 20th century!! Albeit in the 90's, but better late than never....lol.

Seriously, I agree with most of what your'e saying here. I don't think any reasonable person actually thinks people in "newer" developed areas are any less "intelligent" or whatever compared to New Yorkers or residents of any major city or suburb of a major city. I think you'd agree, however, that those newer areas can't quite replicate all of the various cultural, entertainment, etc. resources available in NYC. Obvoiusly if somebody is not interested in those things or unable to take advantage of them, then by all means, head south or west or wherever else you can live cheaper!
Yes LI did quite well in the 20th century. Too bad everyone else is realizing it's the 21st century!! [/b]

Actually my wife thinks NY'ers are heads and tails smarter than everywhere else and no one else in the country has Intel or Seimens award winners or colleges, doctors or law schools (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating)! Many of those areas replicate the cultural benefits quite well and FAR FAR better than Long Island which is a cultural wasteland. LI is NOT NYC!! No national attractions except rare Coliseum shows or summer at Jones Beach. Broadway and Carnegie Hall are great, but how many true Islanders go and who can really afford it? In Austin, there is a top national musical act every night and it rarely costs more than 30 bucks. Like you said, there are tradeoffs. No ocean, no pro sports teams. Then, LI doesn't have those either (except the Islanders who can't fill an arena and whos days may be numbered). It's a balance. I just think the arrogance of LI is contributing to the decline.

The difference is I'd like to see LI gain as a cultural center and be less beholden to NYC for it's "various cultural, entertainment, etc resources" as opposed to telling people, if you don't like it, go somewhere else.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:40 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Goose all true and good thing you said it not me If I said something like that.....the lynch mob would be out in full force ! (p.s. I found a good bagel and even good NY style pizza here in Central Va. just not good Italian food)
Well you deserve it BigMike, ya expat traitor. I hope you enjoy your egg noodles and ketchup on Italian night!!! LOL

Old 06-18-2010, 08:30 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Yes LI did quite well in the 20th century. Too bad everyone else is realizing it's the 21st century!!
Actually my wife thinks NY'ers are heads and tails smarter than everywhere else and no one else in the country has Intel or Seimens award winners or colleges, doctors or law schools (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating)! Many of those areas replicate the cultural benefits quite well and FAR FAR better than Long Island which is a cultural wasteland. LI is NOT NYC!!
do you really think everyone who takes advantage of what's going on in NYC is actually FROM NYC? The big city is one of the main benefits of living on LI, or North NJ, or Westchester, or Southwestern CT.

I'm sure MANY people in these magical areas you describe travel similar distances to experience various cultural benefits.

Quote:
No national attractions except rare Coliseum shows or summer at Jones Beach. Broadway and Carnegie Hall are great, but how many true Islanders go and who can really afford it?
again, it's not just the residents of NYC soaking up all the fun.

Quote:
In Austin, there is a top national musical act every night and it rarely costs more than 30 bucks. Like you said, there are tradeoffs. No ocean, no pro sports teams. Then, LI doesn't have those either (except the Islanders who can't fill an arena and whos days may be numbered).
coming from Nassau, I can get to Yankee Stadium, MSG, Citifield, or even the Meadowlands (leaving at 8:00 am on a sunday, lol) in less time than it would take me to get to the Hamptons. why can't I claim those teams/venues as part of my entertainment experience as a Long Islander? Because it doesn't fit your argument?

Quote:
It's a balance. I just think the arrogance of LI is contributing to the decline.

The difference is I'd like to see LI gain as a cultural center and be less beholden to NYC for it's "various cultural, entertainment, etc resources" as opposed to telling people, if you don't like it, go somewhere else.
I agree that it would be nice if LI had a little more going on, however standing in the shadow of NYC probably has a lot to do with this. It's not like Bergen County or Fairfield County are cultural/entertainment hot spots either.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:14 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
As a reminder Personal attacks, insults and rude comments are not allowed per the Term of Service.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Well you deserve it BigMike, ya expat traitor. I hope you enjoy your egg noodles and ketchup on Italian night!!! LOL
That might be a step up from some of the stuff I've eaten I wish I was joking but sadly it's true

Oh, also there's something to be said about small town baseball. Last year while we were visiting family back in L.I. I took the wife and kids to a Yankee Game ( had to check out the new digs) and between tickets,parking,food it ran over $700 to see a 7-1 loss. Now for the last few weeks we been going to the Diamond here in Richmond to see the Richmond Flying Squirrels ( Double-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants) I know it's not the same but let me tell you something...tickets 6-10 dollars, best seats in the house 10 bucks. My 8 year old daughter bought 3 of her friends and they loved it. We had 1st row seats and players came over and talked to the girls because of their they cheered so loud. Between innings they do contests with the kids on the field, give a ways, kids run the bases. They even timed my boys fast balls with a radar gun. They have a blast every time talking to the players and getting autographs. Lot of fun and one of the players is from L.I. even bought him a beer @ Ned's and Buzz

Last edited by BigMike50; 06-18-2010 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island