Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:06 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
This is actually the opposite of how it works with lawyers. If I were to spend an hour writing a letter, I would bill it out at .25 hrs. In order to have forty billable hours, I had to work 80 hours in NYC (this isn't just me, this is how it is).

When I was first out of law school and it took me 4 hours to write a brief, I didn't bill it at four hours. If my boss at the time took 2 hours because she had a lot more experience, she didn't charge for three hours because it would have taken someone not as skilled three hours, but she charged for the two hours.

With mechanics, they will bill you for 2 hours even if it takes a half hour. Case in point- I'm bring my challenger in to get a cold air intake and subwoofer (2k in free Mopar accessories with the car). I have put cold air intakes on cars and it takes me 45 minutes at most to do this. The subwoofer just gets plugged in the back of the trunk, maximum fifteen minutes. Now, Dodge is charging 4 hours labor for this. And why???? The actual labor is more like an hour. They are charging this because there is some book that is listing how long it takes to complete jobs, regardless of how long it actually takes. If you are charging 110/hr, fine, but charge for the time actually worked. In order to have the part under warranty I have to have Dodge put the part on the car, so I have no choice.
All this is true....but what I wanted to say is good luck with the Challenger. I hope you got the 6.1 and not the 5.7. Either way I could kick your a$$ in the 1/4 but that's for another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 02:23 PM

138 posts, read 270,665 times
Alot of the people I see that are able to afford beautiful homes in wealthy districts are the contractors, mechanics, and small business owners. I find it outrageous that most of them insist on being paid in cash! If civil servants and those in private sectors have to pay taxes so should they! Not to mention the fact of all the "undocumented workers" they take advantage of. Honestly, forget going to school if you want to remain on the island. A trade skill is really the way to go. That way you dont have to pay taxes.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post
Alot of the people I see that are able to afford beautiful homes in wealthy districts are the contractors, mechanics, and small business owners. I find it outrageous that most of them insist on being paid in cash! If civil servants and those in private sectors have to pay taxes so should they! Not to mention the fact of all the "undocumented workers" they take advantage of. Honestly, forget going to school if you want to remain on the island. A trade skill is really the way to go. That way you dont have to pay taxes.
Generalize much?

Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
All this is true....but what I wanted to say is good luck with the Challenger. I hope you got the 6.1 and not the 5.7. Either way I could kick your a$$ in the 1/4 but that's for another thread.
Thanks. I love it. I got the 5.7 because the 6.1 would have been another 10k. Now, I wouldn't mind the brembo brakes, 50 hp, nice interior, and better exhaust but for 10k I couldn't do it. They are supposed to be coming out with a 500 hp challenger supposedly in 2011.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
If you are a cop, you are endangering your life every day and are worth double what they are getting paid, you actually can't put a dollar amount on it. People don't realize this- you kiss your husband goodbye and he might not come back because he got killed on the job. I have tons of respect for cops.

I just want to put out information since I am in the system, to correct the misinformation that is out there. If it's the truth, I will say that too.
yes, cops are getting killed all over Long Island.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:08 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:

Thanks. I love it. I got the 5.7 because the 6.1 would have been another 10k. Now, I wouldn't mind the brembo brakes, 50 hp, nice interior, and better exhaust but for 10k I couldn't do it. They are supposed to be coming out with a 500 hp challenger supposedly in 2011.
Cool enjoy the ride.......yes they want to keep up with the 11 Mustangs and the 11 Camaro's Z28 package so they have no choice but to up the anti to 500 HP.

I agree with you on not paying the extra 10k. I bought a 08 G8 GT instead of an 09 GXP and saved 19K. For 6K I bought a supercharger(Magnusun Magnacharger) and in stalled it mostly by myself ( had a friend help me). You could eventually do the same, and have over 500 hp at 20 k less.

Last edited by BigMike50; 06-17-2010 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 04:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:

You sound like a very young studly guy (if you have a husband I guess you two didn't get married in NY), judging from your choice of ultimate macho speed machine for your commuting vehicle. You will be quite a hit with the boys in "shop class" (if they have that in your school)! You will be their role model!

Getting back to "overpriced salaries," how much time did you actually even get to spend in Biglaw before retreating to academia? A year? Two? It doesn't work out for everyone ... It was sad to see so many layoffs in the past couple of years. At least you can still plunk down $40K +/- on a brand new "muscle car," so life is good, right? No Hyundai for you! What color is it? I think you sound like a BRIGHT ORANGE type.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:15 PM

292 posts, read 820,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You sound like a very young studly guy (if you have a husband I guess you two didn't get married in NY), judging from your choice of ultimate macho speed machine for your commuting vehicle. You will be quite a hit with the boys in "shop class" (if they have that in your school)! You will be their role model!

Getting back to "overpriced salaries," how much time did you actually even get to spend in Biglaw before retreating to academia? A year? Two? It doesn't work out for everyone ... It was sad to see so many layoffs in the past couple of years. At least you can still plunk down $40K +/- on a brand new "muscle car," so life is good, right? No Hyundai for you! What color is it? I think you sound like a BRIGHT ORANGE type.
hilarious +1

Old 06-17-2010, 06:08 PM

302 posts, read 590,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
You have a JD, MBA and now apparently a master's degree and you are seriously asking this question? Have you ever heard of "overhead"? I'll refer you back to OhBeeHave's post which I think explains it nicely.

I think you are just trying to stir the pot and have been since you joined this forum. That's called trolling and it's agains the Terms of Service.
Summer vacation! She's bored...

Old 06-17-2010, 06:54 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
The difference is that you have free choice in choosing your mechanic, lawyer or whatever, and if any one of these charge too much, they will tend to lose customers to others who charge less; but, you do not have the same free choice in your gov't school-Walter Greenspan

Sure you do, Walter. You have free choice as to where to live. As to the poster who said that there beef was with the unions for protecting 30 year experienced 3rd grade teachers, I think they are protected by NY State tenure laws. Unions protect all members... that's the idea behind unions, hence the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island