Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times

Advertisements

What are the best hospitals on LI? The worst?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 05:20 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Depends on the services you need.....

Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
If I were shot in the face in front of Brookhaven Hospital (always a possiblilty) I would crawl somewhere else before I let them give me a band aid.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 AM

486 posts, read 2,112,479 times
I love St.Francis. One night I had such bad pain in my stomach area. From 8 pm till 7 am I could not sleep, could not move. Just wished it would go away. Finally around 7 am, I felt better and went to sleep. Later on that day, my right side was a little tender, called the doctor and he said I better get to a hospital because it might be my appendix. I live on on the south shore and thought were should I go.....well, I drove myself to St.Francis. The care they gave me was excellent.

On the otherhand for worst hospital I would say LIJ Plainview. I had to take my son to the ER as he was at a nearby school and got hurt during a wrestling match. The ER is very different from St.Francis ER. They didn't seem put together there. So thumbs down for LIJ Plainview.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
I second Sick.... Brookhaven is pretty bad.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:54 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Good Samaritan in West Islip is pretty good. I've had major surgery there twice. The nurses are terrific. If you need surgery, get it done so that you can be out by Sunday night though. Monday mornings are brutal.

Bad? Well, I wouldn't say that St. Charles in Port Jeff is bad. I just wasn't impressed with the ER and two of the doctors I ran into there. Plus, it's a PITA to get to from across the Island.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Of the three hospitals close to me (UHSB, Mather and St Charles) I opt for St Charles first, despite UHSB being in my backyard so-to-speak. I've had good experiences in ST Chas ER, a mediocre one in Mather ER, and HORRIBLE in UHSB ER. It's a crowded, third world nation in there. Be prepared to wait for the coming of the Messiah.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:18 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
IMO it all depends on what ails you. Each hospital on LI seems to excel in a specific area. I live in West Islip so obviously for me I would go to GSHMC as it's right down Montauk Highway but if it were something complex like major open heart surgery or cancer then I would go to Stony Brook, LIJ, or North Shore-Manhasset, etc.

Some though, like Mercy, and NUMC are absolute hell holes right out of a 3rd world nation. They should be shut down.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
IMO it all depends on what ails you. Each hospital on LI seems to excel in a specific area. I live in West Islip so obviously for me I would go to GSHMC as it's right down Montauk Highway but if it were something complex like major open heart surgery or cancer then I would go to Stony Brook, LIJ, or North Shore-Manhasset, etc.

Some though, like Mercy, and NUMC are absolute hell holes right out of a 3rd world nation. They should be shut down.
How did Mercy end up getting so BAD? Didn't they used to be a pretty decent hospital in the past?

As for NUMC, I think it has actually improved from when it was a much worse hellhole. Plus you have to say their burn unit is first rate.

For heart surgery, I would recommend St. Francis. Seems that Winthrop has been pretty good lately. South Nassau has also improved ... that one used to be somewhat crappy.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 13,005 times
Alright, first of all, no hospitals on long island are hell holes or really that bad compared to the rest of the world. It's unnecessary to talk about them like that. Brookhaven and the Hampton hospitals have gotten bad names and even Stony Brook is getting a bad name because they are so understaffed, though if you're getting major surgery done, that's probably where you'll want to go. Mather is supposed to be good overall, as far as I've heard, but it does depend on what you're going there for. My family has been to Mather, Brookhaven, and Stony Brook. They're all gonna have their good days and bad days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island