Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:56 PM

186 posts, read 733,041 times

Advertisements

Just wondering...what is a good, inexpensive way (and place) to learn golf on Long Island? I know the basic rules and have been to the driving range a couple of times, and would now like to learn a bit.

It looks like LI has way too many golf courses!!!

Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT: How the hell do I edit the title of the thread to correct the typo?!!! bleh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 AM

38 posts, read 94,108 times
Check out Pitch and Putt par 3 golf at Robert Moses State Park. It's a fun, stress-free way to practice and learn the game without pros getting mad at you if you aren't too good. It's the same idea as regular 18-hole golf, but the tee off is a much shorter distance to the green. You'll see kids learning, adults, seniors, etc. They even rent clubs and balls or you can bring your own.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:00 PM

748 posts, read 2,879,831 times
The TOBay golf course has lessons for groups that I remember was affordable if the group can share The catch is, you have to get your own group of 4-5 players.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:14 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,732,207 times
First, take a couple of lessons. The driving range in Kings Park runs a very good group lesson program.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:14 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,233,766 times
I like the pitch and putt idea too or some of the smaller 9 hole courses (get a lesuire pass). Lessons always help and try to get out with someone that has an idea what they are doing so they can help you a little in the beginning, as long as you keep up with the group in front of you no one will bother you. It has taken me a long time (playing and then dropping it for years) just to get to the point where I am not a complete embarassment and I still have yet to start scoring well but it is a great way to break away from life for a few hours.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,315,951 times
Okay, take it from someone who did this 5 yrs ago....
Get into a group lesson OR a Clinic as they call it. It should cost you like $100 for 3-4 sessions of an hour each. Obviously its not a one-on-one lesson (you don't need that yet) but will teach you the basics of grip, swing and posture.
Now, take that to the driving range for a few times.... once you feel you are making decent contact with the ball, you can then hit the local easy/beginner course. You need not be a pro or hit the ball straight all the time, in fact you will appreciate how hard the game is once you get into it (the pros make it look easy)....
You have to practice, practice and did I say practice to get better !!
The initial learning curve is pretty good because you will go from a "I stink so bad..." to "I stink a little..." in no time. Then depending on how much you put into it, you will get better with practice.

Note: If you are going to have a child in the next 1-2 years, its the wrong time to pick up the game.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:48 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,298,721 times
[quote=zulu400;14711434]Okay, take it from someone who did this 5 yrs ago....
Get into a group lesson OR a Clinic as they call it. It should cost you like $100 for 3-4 sessions of an hour each. Obviously its not a one-on-one lesson (you don't need that yet) but will teach you the basics of grip, swing and posture.
Now, take that to the driving range for a few times.... once you feel you are making decent contact with the ball, you can then hit the local easy/beginner course. You need not be a pro or hit the ball straight all the time, in fact you will appreciate how hard the game is once you get into it (the pros make it look easy)....
You have to practice, practice and did I say practice to get better !!
The initial learning curve is pretty good because you will go from a "I stink so bad..." to "I stink a little..." in no time. Then depending on how much you put into it, you will get better with practice.

Note: If you are going to have a child in the next 1-2 years, its the wrong time to pick up the game.[/quote]

^^ Truer words never spoken.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM

186 posts, read 733,041 times
Thanks folks for your suggestions and ideas! I think I will surely start with one of the parks for a Pitch and Putt session - that seems to be the most logical way to start without pissing off good players with my speed and skill!

BTW - what's with having kids and golf? Is it because it's so time-consuming (golf, not the kids, LOL) or addicting or what? Just curious...

Old 06-22-2010, 11:49 AM

782 posts, read 1,413,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeshpan View Post
Thanks folks for your suggestions and ideas! I think I will surely start with one of the parks for a Pitch and Putt session - that seems to be the most logical way to start without pissing off good players with my speed and skill!

BTW - what's with having kids and golf? Is it because it's so time-consuming (golf, not the kids, LOL) or addicting or what? Just curious...
The average round of 18 holes on a beginner course is like 5 hours. Sure the wife would love that..

Old 06-22-2010, 01:09 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,315,951 times
Quote:
You can **** people off on a pitch and putt also.... the important thing is to learn to pick up the ball after hitting it 23 times on a hole and move on. Do not take 12 practice swings and then go and hit the ball 20 yards ahead.
If you want to emulate the time the pros take before each shot, then you better execute it like them else its very painful for people behind you.

Quote:
Aaah !! Just do 9 holes at a course close to you fricking early in the morning and get home by 9 am.... and then you will be fine !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island