Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,013 times

Advertisements

Hello, my parents have decided on moving to Manhasset and I wanted to know what the area is like. I'm familiar with the high school, but i'm curious about the vibe and racial makeup- diverse or mostly white? We have been looking at some homes and I'm quite excited to leave Manhattan (never really liked the city) and i look foward to going to a competitive school bc i didn't get into the specialized schools which was very disappointing. For any residents of the area, do you have any suggestions for tutoring prep centers and music centers? also things to do in that area as a student just for fun, tho i will probably go to nyc here and there to meet up w old friends. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 07:17 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,515,582 times
Manhasset is mostly white irish catholics. Some asians (20% maybe?), and there is a Section 8 housing section, so a smattering of black kids. Coming from the city, you will hate the suburbs, especially when its full of stuck up rich kids thinking they are all that because they can drive their parents Mercedes. But very easy to visit your city friends, hop on the LIRR and you are in Penn station in 40min.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:35 AM

11,561 posts, read 12,579,196 times
I know the schools quite well and while not a resident. have some ties to the community. The schools have a growing Asian population. I assure you, there will be plenty. Many of the white Catholics opt for Catholic schools. Manhasset has an excellent music program, robotics program, and has invested recently in a lot of technology for their students. After attending a NYC school, you will have entered heaven. The schools buildings are beautiful by comparison, each with their own grounds and athletic fields. There is a pretty good music school in the area, but you will be better off with a private teacher or going into the city for the pre-college programs at Mannes or MSM. There are a few test prep/tutoring centers on Plandome Road. There's an excellent bakery/cafe, as well as a Starbucks where a lot of high school kids hang out.

I actually think there is less "snobism" than the District 2 crowd in Manhattan.

Your parents made an excellent decision. I wish I had your opportunity.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:41 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,931,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I know the schools quite well and while not a resident. have some ties to the community. The schools have a growing Asian population. I assure you, there will be plenty. Many of the white Catholics opt for Catholic schools. Manhasset has an excellent music program, robotics program, and has invested recently in a lot of technology for their students. After attending a NYC school, you will have entered heaven. The schools buildings are beautiful by comparison, each with their own grounds and athletic fields. There is a pretty good music school in the area, but you will be better off with a private teacher or going into the city for the pre-college programs at Mannes or MSM. There are a few test prep/tutoring centers on Plandome Road. There's an excellent bakery/cafe, as well as a Starbucks where a lot of high school kids hang out.

I actually think there is less "snobism" than the District 2 crowd in Manhattan.

Your parents made an excellent decision. I wish I had your opportunity.
Could not have said it better. Will add that your old friends will always be that, old friends and they are gems. I am retired and still in touch with several of my old friends despite a few moves. Make new friends and introduce them to the old.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,013 times
I actually auditioned for MSM's pre-college program and was rejected for violin. As you can tell, I'm not very talented lol and i didn't get into Laguardia which was a big shock to my parents due to months and months of preparation. I couldn't handle the pressure very well and botched up the piece that i dedicated hours to memorizing. I currently live in tribeca area, and the house we're moving to is absolutely gorgeous and a lot bigger than my current apartment. Your reply was very informative, thank you. do you know how competitive all state/all county orchestras are vs laguardia and MSM and such? I really want to get into all state for college app

Old 03-26-2019, 12:32 AM

11,561 posts, read 12,579,196 times
Please do not feel discouraged. Violin, as you know, is a very competitive instrument. Viola is a lot less competitive if you were looking to snag a scholarship. Laguardia is super duper competitive these days, a mini Julliard. Did you audition for Frank Sinatra HS in Queens? All county is not impossibly competitive. NYSSMA is reallly big on Long Island, although many music teachers have issues with the "festival." All State, I imagine is pretty tough. There are so many youth orchestras around. Have you looked into the (competitive) program run by Itzak Perlman's wife in the summer on the east end of Long Island? There's also USDAN which also leads to connections and possibly a stint as a "MSN" which is a summer job with lots of performance opportunities, and stipend for high school seniors. To be fair, I haven't been all that involved with USDAN since they got their new director. There are also local amateur orchestras that play in the parks, mostly for seniors and they accept talented high school students, along with many LI music teachers. Probably not a lot of fun, but good for networking and getting more orchestral experience. Stick with it because it will help you with college admissions, even if you don't want to make music your career or even major in it.

The big difference between Long Island and NYC music programs is that NYC offers some wonderful programs for the "elite" children, generally children of professional musicians themselves. But there's limited music education for the masses, even if the school "partners" with an arts organization. Long Island has decent music education for the general masses starting in kindergarten. Just about all districts offer band and orchestra to "all" interested students starting in 3rd or 4th grade and everyone in elementary grades gets a music special, not some "cluster" teacher who comes to relieve the classroom teacher. In NYC, instrumental music education is inconsistent and greatly depends on the school. Of course, if you live in tribeca, in that area, some of the elementary schools do have "real" music teachers. Best of luck to you and I think you will be fine in Manhasset.

Last edited by Coney; 03-26-2019 at 12:48 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 07:09 PM

150 posts, read 108,316 times
Another buddy of mine is house hunting now in Roslyn because his kid didn’t get into any of the specialized HS. Honestly don’t feel his salary can afford the area, but some parents will do anything for their kids.

Glad to see OP appreciates it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island