U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:50 AM

13,498 posts, read 14,709,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Of course not, but gpsma's belief that throwing marbles at a motorcycle will have some sort of effect is very Bugs Bunnyesque.
It had me thinking of Wylie Coyote and ACME brand marbles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
No. I really don't. I do a lot of driving in NJ, and if you come up behind the guy in the left lane, he will signal and move over to the center lane so you can go on your merry way. Not so much of the pack mentality in Jersey.
I drive back and forth to New England. I've seen packs in CT, MA, VT, NH & during my occasional trips in ME. I was only in RI twice, once during rush hour, so I can't comment on RI.

That written, I do notice in NE fewer left lane hogs -- people tend to use it to pass and then pull right. The biggest left lane hogs I find to be from NH. Like Gpsma, they are out there controlling the pace for the left lane.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 AM

3,686 posts, read 4,083,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
See earlier in the thread. The self appointed speed police who like to drive in the left lane, at the same pace as the car next to them in the right lane, which leads to cars bunching up behind them who want to disobey the speed limit.
I corrected it for you

Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 AM

66 posts, read 79,867 times
Says the guy who resorts to vandalism. You either obey the laws or not, which is it?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:51 AM

I obey the laws that involve the safety of me or others. Retribution for someone not obeying the laws by parking in my driveway is simply the correct and justified thing to do.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 AM

10,046 posts, read 7,599,151 times
Quote:
It's harder for the cops to pull over a speeder who is in a pack of speeders then if you are speeding by yourself
This is the correct answer across the country. People tend to jump from group to group, but rarely speed on their own. The ones ones who speed alone are the ones you tend to see pulled over.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 AM

66 posts, read 79,867 times
Throwing oil in a car does not involve safety? Think about if this persons hands slip off the wheel causing him to lose control or his feet slip from the brake which causes an accident. Your actions do not seem very safe now.

Gpsma: Obeying and disobeying laws as he sees fit, just like everyone else.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamsux View Post
Throwing oil in a car does not involve safety? Think about if this persons hands slip off the wheel causing him to lose control or his feet slip from the brake which causes an accident. Your actions do not seem very safe now.

Gpsma: Obeying and disobeying laws as he sees fit, just like everyone else.
LOL.....The oil was all over his velour seats..LOL.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:28 AM

98 posts, read 195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
In other states, such as NJ, I have seen signs warning people that the left lane is ONLY for passing.

I have also known LI'ers to get mad when they get a ticket in another state for travelling in the left lane because they just were so used to doing it, they didn't know it was wrong.

Around here, since the traffic is so heavy, I think that restriction has been voided.
So the left lane is only for passing? Well spank my A@@ and call me Charlie, I thought it was just a regular lane! (And I'm not kidding either). Since I started driving to work in LI from Brooklyn I thought the left lane was the "Fast Lane" not only the Passing lane. As I have gotten more comfortable with driving I use the left lane to "drive" all the time. OOPS!

Last edited by BklynGirl45; 06-23-2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 06-23-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post
So the left lane is only for passing? Well spank my A@@ and call me Charlie, I thought it was just a regular lane! (And I'm not kidding either). Since I started driving to work in LI from Brooklyn I thought the left lane was the "Fast Lane" not only the Passing lane. As I have gotten more comfortable with driving I use the left lane to "drive" all the time. OOPS!
Spank!

OK Charlie,

Technically the left lane is for passing. The volume of traffic on LI makes it more of a fast lane, although that's not what it is meant to be. If you're in the left lane driving in another state, you might get pulled over for driving in the passing lane. My friend had that happen in ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island