U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2010, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Suffolk County
826 posts, read 2,584,715 times
Reputation: 266

Advertisements

I know everyone is going to tell me this should be posted on the "dogs" forum but that forum does not have too many local people from our area.

I adopted an 8 month old black lab on the condition that it would get along with my cats. We've had her for almost a month. When we first got her, she was chasing our cats so my vet who is a canine behaviorist told us he could come bye and help us. About a week and a half ago, he came over for 4 hours and tried showing us what to do. While the dog knows the general commands, sit, stay, etc. she will do what you ask whenever she feels like it or if you have a treat. For the most part, she listens but sometimes gets very side tracked. I was wondering if maybe obedient school would help her with the concentration, etc. She also is still chasing our cats when they decide to run from her. My husband is at his wits end and wants to give her back. While I know she is still a puppy, I am wondering if maybe obedient school would help with this. If anyone has taken their dog to obedient school/group or private classes and is happy with the outcome, e.g, your dog listens on command, can you please give me the name of the school you chose? I was thinking of doing Petsmart training but am not sure if that is good enough for what we will need. I need to make my decision bye the end of this week if I am returning the dog or not. It's hectic right now in our house when she chases the cats and when she does this, she just doesn't listen to ANYTHING we say. I've tried taking her to the basement (where the cats stay for the most part right now) as my vet told me to do so this way we can do a calming protocol. I've done this and she is very calm. It's only when she sees the cats take off as when she wants to chase. Has anyone else dealt with this? Will this subside when she's older? I'm so sad b/c I'd rather not give her back. If it wasn't for the cat issue, she has lots of potential and I woudl definitely keep her.

Again, sorry for posting this in this forum but I am curious if anyone can recommend a really good trainer in Suffolk County.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 AM
 
5,002 posts, read 4,249,167 times
Reputation: 3020
Let me see if I can get the number. We adopted two dogs in Jan(both were rescues) and we brought one to obedience school as the other one was older and didnt need it.
She did great. It was a place on Union ave in Ronkonkoma ; cant think of the name as I didnt go ; dh and my sons went.
But we have had the dogs for 6 months now and they are both so different now. They are calm ; yes, the younger one still can be hyper but not as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 11:58 AM
 
Location: West Babylon, NY
17 posts, read 30,728 times
Reputation: 15
We used Pet Time when our rescue puppy was 10 weeks old and the owner Susan was great. She is in West Babylon. The key is they teach you to teach our pups and we have to be consistent. Here is the #: (631) 587-8844 She also does one on one. I wish you luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 PM
 
Location: NJ/NY
10,635 posts, read 16,635,201 times
Reputation: 2798
I used Best Paw Forward and they were great. For both of my dogs. Price was reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 6,187,633 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I adopted an 8 month old black lab on the condition that it would get along with my cats. We've had her for almost a month.

I need to make my decision bye the end of this week if I am returning the dog or not. It's hectic right now in our house when she chases the cats and when she does this, she just doesn't listen to ANYTHING we say. I've tried taking her to the basement (where the cats stay for the most part right now) as my vet told me to do so this way we can do a calming protocol. I've done this and she is very calm. It's only when she sees the cats take off as when she wants to chase. Has anyone else dealt with this? Will this subside when she's older? I'm so sad b/c I'd rather not give her back. If it wasn't for the cat issue, she has lots of potential and I woudl definitely keep her.

Again, sorry for posting this in this forum but I am curious if anyone can recommend a really good trainer in Suffolk County.

Thank you.
Where did you adopt the dog from and were you told they would take the dog back?

And I must say, no offense meant, but what "condition" are you referring to that the dog was adopted only if it would get along with the cats?

Honestly, you adopted a PUPPY, a BABY dog, who will act like a baby/toddler/child for MANY years to come. It doesn't sound like you are ready for a dog of ANY kind because your expectations clearly are way too high. I really think you should return the dog b/c if you are frustrated already, I don't think you are ready for a dog at all. Your dog can act like this for years, esp while it is a puppy. You can try training but if you are already ready to give up on this dog who is clearly just doing what a "puppy" does, then it does not sound like you are in it for the LONG HAUL which is the dog's LIFE. Adopting animals should not be based on any ideal "conditions". Every animal has a different personality and there are NO guarantees. And if you try training but it isn't magical as you wish it to be, you are wasting precious time b/c the longer you keep the dog, the older it becomes. The older it becomes, the less likely someone else will want to adopt this dog. Sad but true.

Your expectations are clearly too high, unrealistic and not based on someone who educated themselves before taking in a dog. It sounds as though even if you keep the dog, you will find another reason later on to get rid of the dog if it doesn't do what you want, in the perfect world. Sorry to be blunt but I say this all in the best interest of the dog, who deserves a loving forever home, "flaws" and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Suffolk County
826 posts, read 2,584,715 times
Reputation: 266
Thanks so much for all your responses. I live in Kings Park area and was hoping there would be someone in the Smithtown area. I will definitely consider the other trainers mentioned in each of your posts.

Thank you. I appreciate your help very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 6,187,633 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Thanks so much for all your responses. I live in Kings Park area and was hoping there would be someone in the Smithtown area. I will definitely consider the other trainers mentioned in each of your posts.

Thank you. I appreciate your help very much.
I hope you saw my above post and didn't miss it in a cross post. I hope you seriously consider what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Suffolk County
826 posts, read 2,584,715 times
Reputation: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Where did you adopt the dog from and were you told they would take the dog back?

And I must say, no offense meant, but what "condition" are you referring to that the dog was adopted only if it would get along with the cats?

Honestly, you adopted a PUPPY, a BABY dog, who will act like a baby/toddler/child for MANY years to come. It doesn't sound like you are ready for a dog of ANY kind because your expectations clearly are way too high. I really think you should return the dog b/c if you are frustrated already, I don't think you are ready for a dog at all. Your dog can act like this for years, esp while it is a puppy. You can try training but if you are already ready to give up on this dog who is clearly just doing what a "puppy" does, then it does not sound like you are in it for the LONG HAUL which is the dog's LIFE. Adopting animals should not be based on any ideal "conditions". Every animal has a different personality and there are NO guarantees. And if you try training but it isn't magical as you wish it to be, you are wasting precious time b/c the longer you keep the dog, the older it becomes. The older it becomes, the less likely someone else will want to adopt this dog. Sad but true.

Your expectations are clearly too high, unrealistic and not based on someone who educated themselves before taking in a dog. It sounds as though even if you keep the dog, you will find another reason later on to get rid of the dog if it doesn't do what you want, in the perfect world. Sorry to be blunt but I say this all in the best interest of the dog, who deserves a loving forever home, "flaws" and all.
I hear what you are saying b/c what you have written is EXACTLY something I would have written to someone else. To be honest with you, I am not the one losing my patience. It is my husband. He is driving me crazy! I came on here hoping to find someone who can refer me to a trainer b/c I care about the dog and want things to work out.

The reason why the people who gave me the dog included the stipulation is b/c they were not sure if she would get along with cats. They didn't have too much history on her b/c they rescued her. They were kind of fostering her until she got a home.

I am a very responsible person in general and am an animal rights activist. I sign all petitions and would NEVER want to give an animal up at all...whether 1 week or 1 year. I have had dogs in the past and do understand that a puppy is like a 2 year old. It's my husband who has not had a dog since he was a child and expects a dog to be trained like magic. Myself and my parents are so in love with this dog that they don't want me to give it back to the people and either do I. They are trying to help us in every way they can to keep the dog. They live in a senior condo and plan on going to Florida 3 months out of the year otherwise they would keep her for themselves. Growing up I had cats and dogs and the dog never chased the cat this much. I do know there is an adjustment time frame for all in the home. I was hoping that if we did obedient school it could only help out with her listening to the commands more so. She is a very smart dog and already knows some commands. Hence the reason it's so hard to give her back...b/c she's so smart and such a great dog that I don't want too. I also have to worry about my 3 cats who were in the house first. One has a heart condition. He has better dr.'s than I do. Please don't make me sound like an irresponsible pet parent b/c that I am not. Right now there is chaos in my house with the dog chasing the cats. I thought obedient school could only help with this. Also, I've been on the phone with my vet/behaviorist almost every day so i am really trying to make it work.

I am not one of those people who think of their animals as a "throw away" if that is what you are insinuating. To be honest I like animals better than people as they are loyal. I posted my bulletin in hopes that I can get phone numbers and names to only help my situation. If I was one of those people who didn't want it to work out, I would have never even posted anything on here looking for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 28,880,032 times
Reputation: 7268
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I know everyone is going to tell me this should be posted on the "dogs" forum but that forum does not have too many local people from our area.

I adopted an 8 month old black lab on the condition that it would get along with my cats. We've had her for almost a month. When we first got her, she was chasing our cats so my vet who is a canine behaviorist told us he could come bye and help us. About a week and a half ago, he came over for 4 hours and tried showing us what to do. While the dog knows the general commands, sit, stay, etc. she will do what you ask whenever she feels like it or if you have a treat. For the most part, she listens but sometimes gets very side tracked. I was wondering if maybe obedient school would help her with the concentration, etc. She also is still chasing our cats when they decide to run from her. My husband is at his wits end and wants to give her back. While I know she is still a puppy, I am wondering if maybe obedient school would help with this. If anyone has taken their dog to obedient school/group or private classes and is happy with the outcome, e.g, your dog listens on command, can you please give me the name of the school you chose? I was thinking of doing Petsmart training but am not sure if that is good enough for what we will need. I need to make my decision bye the end of this week if I am returning the dog or not. It's hectic right now in our house when she chases the cats and when she does this, she just doesn't listen to ANYTHING we say. I've tried taking her to the basement (where the cats stay for the most part right now) as my vet told me to do so this way we can do a calming protocol. I've done this and she is very calm. It's only when she sees the cats take off as when she wants to chase. Has anyone else dealt with this? Will this subside when she's older? I'm so sad b/c I'd rather not give her back. If it wasn't for the cat issue, she has lots of potential and I woudl definitely keep her.

Again, sorry for posting this in this forum but I am curious if anyone can recommend a really good trainer in Suffolk County.

Thank you.
Labs are working dogs and very high energy. How often do you walk her and/or take her to dog parks where she can socialize with other dogs? She needs a lot of stimulation right now. If both you and your husband work during the day, it would not be a bad idea to put her in a puppy kindergarten or daycare. I know this sounds "extreme," especially if (like your husband) you've never had a dog as an adult and only been a cat owner. Dogs are very different from cats because they need to be socialized. Cats are much easier to own and care for than dogs because dogs have more needs.

Since she is still a puppy she will be a handful, but she will calm down.

She believes the cats want to play with her when they run. That's why she is chasing them. She thinks she is being invited to play and she wants to join in. She can be trained to resist this impulse, and the cats will get used to her and stop running away. (She may become great friends with one or more of them and sleep in the same bed.)

You have a lot of good suggestions on the thread already and I am sure you will be able to find a trainer who can help. You could also call your local AKC breed club for labs and ask them about the Canine Good Citizen training/certification program.

I would recommend taking some books out of the library by Cesar Milan so you can understand how a dog "thinks" and get your family into the proper pack hierarchy (you and husband are the pack leaders, the dog is a subordinate).

Good luck with your new member of the family!

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 06-22-2010 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Suffolk County
826 posts, read 2,584,715 times
Reputation: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Labs are working dogs and very high energy. How often do you walk her and/or take her to dog parks where she can socialize with other dogs? She needs a lot of stimulation right now. If both you and your husband work during the day, it would not be a bad idea to put her in a puppy kindergarten or daycare. I know this sounds "extreme," especially if (like your husband) you've never had a dog as an adult and only been a cat owner. Dogs are very different from cats because they need to be socialized. Cats are much easier to own and care for than dogs because dogs have more needs.

Since she is still a puppy she will be a handful, but she will calm down.

She believes the cats want to play with her when they run. That's why she is chasing them. She thinks she is being invited to play and she wants to join in. She can be trained to resist this impulse, and the cats will get used to her and stop running away. (She may become great friends with one or more of them and sleep in the same bed.)

You have a lot of good suggestions on the thread already and I am sure you will be able to find a trainer who can help. You could also call your local AKC breed club for labs and ask them about the Canine Good Citizen training/certification program.

I would recommend taking some books out of the library by Cesar Milan so you can understand how a dog "thinks" and get your family into the proper pack hierarchy (you and husband are the pack leaders, the dog is a subordinate).

Good luck with your new member of the family!
Thanks for all the good info.

We do work during the day and I walk her in the morning before work. I walk her a mile in the morning and then another mile at night. I've heard they are high energy dogs. Suprsingly though, yesterday (I'm home on Mondays) all she wanted to do was sleep and I hadn't even given her a walk. I feel bad b/c she is crated right now while we are at work but she is still chewing (chewed my husbands slipper last night). So b/c of that, we obviously can't give her the run around of the house. She loves her crate though. Sleeps in there on her own sometimes when I'm home. My husband is really the one who is losing his patience b/c he seems to think the dog can be trained in 1, 2, 3...I know it's not like that. I didn't think training with the cats was going to be so tough. Right now my parents (who have had dogs in the past) want to take her the days we are at work and I will have her on the weekends. I spoke with my vet/trainer and he didn't think this was a bad idea b/c he said it would give everyone time to get adjusted and come out of their hiding, etc. Once she is an adult and trained, we would take her full time. My parents feel bad that she is crated during the day and my father really needs a companion since he is retired. LOL. I don't live around the block from them so when they come over, it's a bit of a hike. At least i know she will have socializiation if my parents keep her the days we work. BUT it's only temporary until she's a bit older and not so much of a chewer. My husbands main concern is her chewing our new furniture. As you can see, grandma and grandpa love her very much and would rather do this than us have to give her back. I thought maybe it was a bad idea b/c she would be confused but my vet/trainer said as long as we all stick to the same commands and training, etc. it should work out great and at least she will have my father to keep her company, etc. Also, since she wants to play with the cats, hopefully when she gets a little older, she won't want to do this anymore. This is another reason my parents would be taking her temporarily. At least she will see the cats on the weekends when I can be around to monitor. Hopefully they will all be able to get used to each other then. We still need to talk more solidly about this idea (myself, husband and my parents). I think she will definitely be sleeping with the my kitty who has the heart condition though. He is so interested in her! he even wants her chicken treats! LOL... The other 2 cats are a bit taken back right now (they're older). Hopefully after a while and when she calms down, things will be okay and we can all live harmoniously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top