U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:41 AM

7,621 posts, read 7,990,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exLI-er View Post
See, THIS is the typical long island attitude that drives me crazy! No, the crime you see on LI is NOT everywhere(well, not in that amount anyway). We moved off of the island 5 years ago to the Chicago suburbs and where we live is unbelievable. People are not the same and crime is not the same! Of course, there is crime but not as much as LI. People actually respect one another. If you leave your car open, you pocket book doesn't get stolen and if your kid leaves his bike outside, it's still there in the morning.

We miss our families terribly and often try to rationalize how we would be okay to go back, etc, but the truth is, LI has changed...for the worse. The crimes that take place there so often are not present in every other community in this country and the attitude by LI-ers of, "oh get over it. Crime is everywhere. THere is nothing different about LI..." is so aggravating. It's not the same everywhere and maybe if people started recognizing the real problems, it could get fixed. THis is my home too and it sucks that we can't come back because we don't believe it would be a good life for our children. Once people get out and live elsewhere, they realize how lacking LI is.

I couldn't agree more about Port Jeff. Growing up in Setauket, we still have lots of family in the area. WHen I take my kids there, they don't get the appeal that we all once knew. It's run down, full of trash and crime, and just depressing in general! No one should have to be scared to go out past 9pm. There are other places to live in this country that appreciate and value community. LI is not one of them.
LMFAO you are so paranoid and exaggerating it's not even funny. Long Island is FAR safer then the Chicago metro area. In fact, New York City is safer then Chicago.

Long Island beats other metro areas by leaps and bounds in terms of crime safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 09:23 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,888,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post

Ok..stay in your fantasy land. People act as if Long Island is a war zone. I feel very safe. People on LI are just paranoid.
Fantasy Land? Are you kidding me? In what reality do YOU live that it is OK to have a group of 10-12 GANG members hanging out in a public playground, selling drugs, easy as pie in the evenings from the public restroom, and having fights broken up at a local ice cream store?

Do you see where I said PUBLIC above twice? Those are the OP's taxes that are paying for the upkeep of that park. I would assume when she is writing her very large check for the taxes she was not thinking she was funding a local gang hang-out.

This "ignore it, it's not that bad" attitude is what started White Flight from the urban areas in the 70's. First it was, "well, yeah, the crime is going up, but ignore it" and they did that to their neighborhoods were overrun and their kids bikes and lunch money was being stolen. Then they abandoned the neighborhoods - some of which have never recovered.

Ignoring things, making small of other people's concerns is not the way to resolve an issue. Everyone running into their homes at night, closing the blinds and locking the doors is not a way to live. You stop it when the problem is small so that it is not given a chance to escalate. You get a better police presence that makes it uncomfortable for these gangs to openly hang out in public parks/areas. They get the message - they move on to the next area and try it there - hoping for the sort of response you are giving the OP.

I'll say it again - having a gang hang out and sell drugs in the evenings is NOT OK. In any reality.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:24 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,482,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
LMFAO you are so paranoid and exaggerating it's not even funny. Long Island is FAR safer then the Chicago metro area. In fact, New York City is safer then Chicago.

Long Island beats other metro areas by leaps and bounds in terms of crime safety.
I found that a little ironic also because Chicago has the highest homicide rate they've seen in the past 30 years. My wifes family lives in one of the nicer CHI suburbs also (Lagrange) and there's been like 6 homicides this year.

Its all relative.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:54 AM

18,534 posts, read 14,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exLI-er View Post
See, THIS is the typical long island attitude that drives me crazy! No, the crime you see on LI is NOT everywhere(well, not in that amount anyway). We moved off of the island 5 years ago to the Chicago suburbs and where we live is unbelievable. People are not the same and crime is not the same! Of course, there is crime but not as much as LI. People actually respect one another. If you leave your car open, you pocket book doesn't get stolen and if your kid leaves his bike outside, it's still there in the morning.

We miss our families terribly and often try to rationalize how we would be okay to go back, etc, but the truth is, LI has changed...for the worse. The crimes that take place there so often are not present in every other community in this country and the attitude by LI-ers of, "oh get over it. Crime is everywhere. THere is nothing different about LI..." is so aggravating. It's not the same everywhere and maybe if people started recognizing the real problems, it could get fixed. THis is my home too and it sucks that we can't come back because we don't believe it would be a good life for our children. Once people get out and live elsewhere, they realize how lacking LI is.

I couldn't agree more about Port Jeff. Growing up in Setauket, we still have lots of family in the area. WHen I take my kids there, they don't get the appeal that we all once knew. It's run down, full of trash and crime, and just depressing in general! No one should have to be scared to go out past 9pm. There are other places to live in this country that appreciate and value community. LI is not one of them.

Crime is oh so bad on Long Island its constantly rated among the safest areas in the entire country by the FBI....

Old 06-26-2010, 03:12 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,314,604 times
I'm not talking about Long Island as a whole, because you obviously cannot live on the entire island. You choose an area and move there. I chose PJ because the schools were supposed to be up there and as close to private as you can get in a public school situation.

And I think it is ridiculous to say that someone is hiding out in their home and shouldn't be afraid. That quaint little ice cream shop in the village? Three of the family members who own it were attacked by those thugs who are somehow allowed to loiter in red and black and yellow clothing. ALL of Long Island isn't like this. Never had a problem in Wantagh or Stony Brook. Is there the occasional bad egg? Sure thing, that's anywhere. But when you have Constable Chief telling me it is not safe to walk through the village past 9pm without my husband, that says a LOT. The rise in gang activity is increasing, all you have to do is go to the playground and look at the tags sprayed all over. You're damned straight I'm not going to turn a blind eye to KNOWN evening activity and risk my life or that of my children, especially when PJ is telling me to stay away. As sad as it was to hear, I'm just really appreciative that the guy even told me as much.

Suffolk PD is a joke. I once drove up to a female officer who was in her patrol car in the Credit Union parking lot on Rt 112 to inform her of teen gang members loitering in the playground. She told me that PJ and PJS wasn't normally her patrol and she would call it in. ??? They've basically acknowledged that this is now a problem area and go on with their lives. Why we pay taxes to have PD Gang Units is beyond me. But to have a quaint little village completely infiltrated at night within a 3-5 year period is almost unheard of. And, once again, I must stress that the PJ residents need to get their heads out of their rear ends and get vocal.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:36 PM

15 posts, read 51,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I found that a little ironic also because Chicago has the highest homicide rate they've seen in the past 30 years. My wifes family lives in one of the nicer CHI suburbs also (Lagrange) and there's been like 6 homicides this year.

Its all relative.
First of all, LaGrange is not considered one of the nicer Chicago suburbs. Secondly, how many homicides has Long Island had this past year?

I live in a western suburb...Naperville. It was voted number 1 place to raise a family several years in a row. Maybe 3 homicides in it's whole history. Comparing Chicago homicide rates to the Chicago suburbs is like comparing NYC to Long Island...ridiculous and not comparable. I live an hour from Chicago. The homicide rates don't apply.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:55 PM

Are you all aware of the heroin EPIDEMIC on Long Island right now? Or is that no big deal either. Oh wait, let me guess. High schoolers every where are doing heroin, right? And you are all experts on every other area in the country. I feel for you, truly I do. There are soooo many nice places to live in this country. It is so nice to see my children growing in a place where respect and community is rampant. No one steals their things(I had my pocket book stolen right out of my car in my driveway before I moved off of LI...and I lived in a very nice area), you can drive without people flipping you off and there are no weirdos standing on every corner. Yes, there is crime everywhere but not everywhere is like LI

I actually find it quite sad. I wish we could move back and feel GOOD about it, but that's just not the case. Schools have deteriorated, houses are run down and dumpy, stores are falling apart, etc. It's just depressing all around. If people would realize that help is needed and not insult others or just claim that it's "like that everywhere" maybe LI could be the place it once was and those of us that have moved away from our families could come back. For now, rampant heroin use among teens (and NO this is NOT everywhere), gangs, robberies all over the place, home invasions, etc...No thanks. My kids deserve better.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

Wow...don't even know where to start. I guess first, are you serious???? Long Island is no where NEAR one of the safest suburban areas. I also don't live in "the chicago metro area"...no such thing(which again shows your ignorance). I live in the WEstern Suburbs and you are right, the crime is NO WHERE NEAR that of Long Island. I live in a city of 250,000 with one of the lowest crime rates in the country. 3 homicides in the past 30 years. How many homicides have occured on Suffolk County? Where is this safety you talk of? Drug dealers on every corner. Heroin all over the high schools. Please. Do some research.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 6,902,098 times
This thread pretty much confirms my feelings on Long Island. Its looking more and more like SoCal every year. The illegals are everywhere too, I see way more this year than last year. Take a look at the suburbs of Los Angeles. There are exclusive, wealthy communities (Beverly Hills/our Roslyn East Hills) and barrios full of illegals (San Bernadino, Santa Ana/our Hempstead, New Cassel, Brentwood).
Port Jefferson has taken a notable decline, I remember it being a nice touristy family town when I was a teenager, now its becoming yet another barrio. It started around the train tracks and worked its way down into the village. There's also a numerous amount of disturbed people hanging out as well.
And our highly paid police cant seem to be bothered with real criminals, its much easier handing out tickets to those who forgot to put their seatbelt on.
I definately plan on leaving LI too, though probably not for Chicago, it'd either be Ocean County in NJ or up in New England.
I'm sick of seeing these roach trucks and illegals everywhere. Its like SoCal here now.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:25 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,554,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Cmon????? Are you kidding me? I understand being safe, but geez. Go hide in your home. There is crime EVERYWHERE. Get used to it, its part of life these days. Long island isnt what it used to be, but for the most part, its safe.
How much are you wiling to get used to before YOU would stand up and complain?? If there was a drug house on your block, would you just get used to it?

I lived in Brooklyn, then Queens, now in Suffolk. If you drove thru my old neighborhoods, you might see the reason some of us can't get used to seeing gang bangers where we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island