U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 PM

16,556 posts, read 27,153,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
I'm sure some people are going to take offense to this, but you can't please everyone. When we were looking for homes we wanted to be by the water, and some friends suggested Patchogue. Drove through it...GORGEOUS town, you can see what it once was, with the historic homes, large lots, etc. But we said "no" because there was obvious signs of gang activity and the like. Other than the difference in school performances, there isn't any difference now between PJ and Patchogue. And I hate to sound like a broken record, but we're talking in a matter of 3 years! That is really scary.

I'm sure that starting this thread is definitely going to dissuade people from buying here (hope it does), and subsequently reduce my ability to sell, but I don't care. I'm ALL about the kids. People who are considering a move here--drive through here in the evening. Drive down Rt 112 in PJ, do NOT take the scenic route on 25a. You can even drive through in the daylight, say "hi" to our local homeless drug addicts who get their fix at the public restroom near the playground and get their free meals from the church soup kitchens here in town. If you need to get a soda, go to the 7-11 up the street, where you can strike up interesting conversation with the 10-15 alcoholics/addicts who openly live in the overgrown lot right next door. If you want the real dirt on this town, talk to the local gas station attendants. I'm not kidding. These are hard working people who come here from the middle east and are absolutely in shock at what U.S citizens get away with.
Last year my son and his friend walked from lower Port up to that 7-11. He has been warned to NEVER do that again. He's a black belt, but that means nothing when the skell has a gun, or is with several of his homies.

Another big concern I have, which no one seems to consider, is the Greenway which runs from Setauket into upper Port, ending near the Blockbuster you mentioned in another post.

How long is it before these dirtbags start taking to the trail for drug deals, or crimes of opportunity such as possibly robbing or raping innocent joggers, pedestrians and bicyclists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 09:50 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,284,741 times
Bee,

You're dead on with the village and the motorcycle issue. Before anyone says it, yes, I know there are motorcycle gangs. Okay, done with that. But that is NOT what's coming into PJ. I wish those guys on their bikes would kick these little sh*ts' asses, to be honest with you. I could care less about bikes and the "awful" sound they make, please.

You took the words right out of my mouth with the bike trail. It's only a matter of time before they make a move there. They're not going to go too far though, because they do still need to beg for money at the Blockbuster and 7-11 in order to buy their alcohol. You won't catch me or my kids on that trail.

Wonder if I know your Stepford friends? Bet I do. And I'm sure "Port" is just A-OK with them!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Bee,

You're dead on with the village and the motorcycle issue. Before anyone says it, yes, I know there are motorcycle gangs. Okay, done with that. But that is NOT what's coming into PJ. I wish those guys on their bikes would kick these little sh*ts' asses, to be honest with you. I could care less about bikes and the "awful" sound they make, please.

You took the words right out of my mouth with the bike trail. It's only a matter of time before they make a move there. They're not going to go too far though, because they do still need to beg for money at the Blockbuster and 7-11 in order to buy their alcohol. You won't catch me or my kids on that trail.

Wonder if I know your Stepford friends? Bet I do. And I'm sure "Port" is just A-OK with them!
The constable said the the bikes helped keep the gangbangers in check. As long as guys on bikes were in lower Port, the gangs stayed in upper Port.

The mayor doesn't want to see bikes on the street, and since she can't see the gangbangers in rocket ship park, it's all good with her.

Aforementioned Port peeps -- spitting distance to the HS, two children in school -- one in elementary.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 PM

Mayor is a joke. Nice lady, but head in the sand, or somewhere else, lol. She sent out questionnaires to be able to address the biggest concerns here. Big issues were metered parking, street cleaning and building new apartment housing. What I did not like was that she would not accept anonymous questionnaires. That bothered me because this is SUCH a small town, and people talk. Of course I put my name on it, but I think she should have left it optional for others who are afraid to speak up.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,897,967 times
You sound like a smart lady, can you organize a meeting say at the local library? There must be others who share your concern.

It saddens me as well as I grew up on LI and have fond memories of Port Jefferson.

Lived in Southern CA for many years and the moderator is right, gangs only go into areas where that community allows it.

But you have to speak up and get people involved.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Mayor is a joke. Nice lady, but head in the sand, or somewhere else, lol. She sent out questionnaires to be able to address the biggest concerns here. Big issues were metered parking, street cleaning and building new apartment housing. What I did not like was that she would not accept anonymous questionnaires. That bothered me because this is SUCH a small town, and people talk. Of course I put my name on it, but I think she should have left it optional for others who are afraid to speak up.

It stinks that this can't be taken up with the Village Times as one of the editors owns a watering hole in Port. Heaven forbid he print anything contrary.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 PM

Bee,

Know who you refer to...no way he's going to print the truth and hurt business.

Sea,

I'm going to go to County Sup. at this point. I'm telling you, I have never seen anything like this before, the deliberate and ignorant mindset of the locals. I think they think that as long as the schools keep performing well and they can grab a good meal, all is well.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:11 AM

1,919 posts, read 4,703,245 times
I must comment that the people who post on this forum are very entertaining. From the Mom who sees (blood) gang members hanging out on a regular basis in playgrounds to that same Mom who wishes motorcycle gangs would kick the a**es out of homeless people. It's no wonder why those boys killed that latino man in Patchogue for sport. Looking through different threads it has become obvious that non-whites are not welcome on Long Island. The most bizzare and most entertaining comment I read was the poster who steered an op away from living in Carle Place because the Latin Kings has van loads of of gangbangers selling drugs to the local elementary school children. PEOPLE drug dealers and drug users are not this blatant. I grew up in Hauppauge but took the long road to reach a middle class environment that my parents gave me as a teenager. I lived in Islandia, Elmont, Port Chester, New Rochelle and Calverton Hills (ghettos in your eyes, more than 10% of the pop is non-white) before finally being able to purchase a place in Wading River. Today to make ends meet I still drive a cab in the North Brookhaven area, which includes Port Jefferson. I have yet to see the insanity that some of the posters on this site have seen. Having to arm yourself in fear of your life just to go to the 7-11 in PJS is hillarious. I've seen some pretty seedy things in my time while driving a cab and I know that area has problems. Drugs and gang activities in that area are not as blatant as some of you write. This is true at night or late afternoon in Homestead village but I have yet to see such things down Port. The worst I've experienced are the tons of motorcycles during the day driving loudly on Main or the obnoxious drunk getting kicked out of Billies bar for starting a fight and jumping in my cab demanding to go home, which is usually the next bar or such towns as Stony Brook, East Setauket or Mount Sinai.. It's amazing, I've read the Long Island and Westchester threads on this site and by far there is a strong hatred for non-whites on Long Island that does not reach such levels in Westchester. Some of their threads actually embrace ethnic diversity which was surprising considering the higher percentage of wealth. The Long island poster feel that non-whites are a cancer that needs to be eradicated.. I grew up on Long Island and will always have a close connection to it. Despite living in other parts of the metro area I settled on Long Island because it's what I know and love. It breaks my heart that so many Long Islanders take pleasure and mean spirited strikes against other from feeling welcomed here.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:16 AM

347 posts, read 1,141,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Last year my son and his friend walked from lower Port up to that 7-11. He has been warned to NEVER do that again. He's a black belt, but that means nothing when the skell has a gun, or is with several of his homies.

Another big concern I have, which no one seems to consider, is the Greenway which runs from Setauket into upper Port, ending near the Blockbuster you mentioned in another post.

How long is it before these dirtbags start taking to the trail for drug deals, or crimes of opportunity such as possibly robbing or raping innocent joggers, pedestrians and bicyclists?
Regarding the greenway - I have been on this and it appears to end in an empty and desolate field in East Setauket, just East of the "critter" section. This field, btw, is a pretty scary place - very isolated - definitely not for women and children - I am very surprised the town/state (not sure who built it) would allow such a thing. Anyway, is there another part of this greenway that reaches Port Jeff that I am not aware of?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:35 AM

1,925 posts, read 3,441,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exLI-er View Post
Not comparing one town to all of LI, I am talking specifically about Suffolk county and not even comparing it directly based on numbers(and Naperville was just quoted at 250,000). Not really even interested in speaking directly about any other town. Just saying that many LIers need to get their heads out of their bottoms and realize that all of the crime they make excuses for(do you really think it is all reported??? Numbers mean nothing, I lived there for 30 years) are not just normal, widespread, acceptable crimes. LI has CHANGED. Crime is all around it. I lost a family member to drug abuse and have seen so many people go down the tubes. It's just depressing to go there but also sad to miss out on family ties. I just wish it would get better there!

"Numbers mean nothing" - obviously, based on your posts that is quite true. Your city, according to Wikipedia had population of 128,358 (based on the 2000 census) do you really think it doubled in 10 years? You were obviously wrong about that and about the murder rate. Saying "do you really think all crime is reported" when referring to LI but not even considering that that could apply anywhere - including lovely Naperville is silly at best. You mentioned homicides (not me) - is suffolk county hiding all of the bodies from the gang murders to keep their numbers in line with a place as lovely as Naperville even though the population is more than ten times as much? Please tell us of the crimes you witnessed here in your 30 years. you are working with your opinion only and ignoring any facts I provide.

No one is saying there isn't a heroin problem on LI right now. Even with that problem our crime numbers are right in line with a utopia like Naperville.

I have to go lock all my doors set my alarm system now. Bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island