U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 08:18 AM

15 posts, read 51,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
"Numbers mean nothing" - obviously, based on your posts that is quite true. Your city, according to Wikipedia had population of 128,358 (based on the 2000 census) do you really think it doubled in 10 years? You were obviously wrong about that and about the murder rate. Saying "do you really think all crime is reported" when referring to LI but not even considering that that could apply anywhere - including lovely Naperville is silly at best. You mentioned homicides (not me) - is suffolk county hiding all of the bodies from the gang murders to keep their numbers in line with a place as lovely as Naperville even though the population is more than ten times as much? Please tell us of the crimes you witnessed here in your 30 years. you are working with your opinion only and ignoring any facts I provide.

No one is saying there isn't a heroin problem on LI right now. Even with that problem our crime numbers are right in line with a utopia like Naperville.

I have to go lock all my doors set my alarm system now. Bye.

The population of Naperville 250,000 as per our last city meeting. I could really care less if you believe me. In the past 30 years(my lifetime), there have been 3 murders that have TAKEN PLACE here in Naperville.

Crimes I have witnessed on LI? Let's see. I grew up in Setauket. Had a cabbie come up to my door because he was being choked in his car. Had my pocketbook stolen directly out of my car in the middle of the day. Lost a family member to heroin which was being sold by my neighbor. Was exposed to a scary naked man who tried to take me in his car when I was little. Have known over 10 highschool students in the past 2 years either OD or end up in rehab due to the heroin epidemic. Lost 3 close friends in the past due to drunk driving incidents. Had a member of my highschool murdered at West Meadow Beach. A body found in the "pitt" by my house in highschool. A local unidentified body found close to my house in Port Jeff. Had a friend from elementary school lose her sister a few years ago(murdered). Oh, let's see....had a police officer knock on my door when I was a child because there was a murderer killing people up and down Pond Path. SHould I go on?

Your "crime numbers" may show one thing but your real crime is no where near my town. Not even comparable. Throw whatever numbers you want at me. I have seen crime with my own two eyes. Look at what others are writing???? You don't see it?? Gangs at playgrounds. Oh, and don't forget Dunkin Donuts being boarded up last week in Port Jeff due to money laundering. A heroin problem? More like an epidemic(as it is being called by law enforcement). Oh, but wait, you're right. There is not a lot of crime on Long Island. Perfect place to raise a family. All of these posters are just lieing. And this is why it won't get better any time soon.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:10 AM

6,575 posts, read 9,047,458 times
^ Wow, sounds like you would have been safer in Afghanistan than Long Island. Sorry if I am a bit skeptical. To put it mildly.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:07 AM

7,576 posts, read 7,864,854 times
This thread is ridiculous. Certain people with an irrational hatred of Long Island are making my homeland out to look like the South Bronx ca. 1985.

But I can't talk about that, instead I now have to go dig trenches and set up a few machine gun nests to ward off the hordes of drug dealers and gangbangers that exLI-er claims are going to descend upon peaceful little West Islip after they pillage and kill their way through Babylon and Bay Shore!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone want to help me set up some fields of fire along Montauk Highway? Looks like the La Grange has to come down so I can place a .50 Browning M2 to cover Higbie Lane because a few posters here say that a few drunks and drug dealers might come waltzing along.

Get a grip folks. Long Island is the safest metropolitan area in the country. It's been stated several times by the FBI. 95% of the crime on Long Island is related to 3 things: 1) drugs, 2) gangs, and 3) the movement of "city people" to Long Island due to gentrification. Unless your involved in 1 or 2 or live in a community populated by 3 (ie: Brentwood, Hempstead, Wyandanch, etc) then your not going to have a problem.

Last edited by WIHS2006; 06-27-2010 at 10:17 AM..

Old 06-27-2010, 10:26 AM

16,417 posts, read 27,352,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
I Love LI But:

Hubby is retired from Gang Unit for NYPD. When his years of ongoing training and on the job experience have him telling me to keep away, I'm listening to him. When you have Suffolk assigning another officer to patrol at night, and the village patrol saying to stay away at night, and hubby telling me this problem is rampant and kids cannot go to Rocketship in broad daylight, this is not a matter of mistaking a teenager with identity crisis for a gang member. It's so different in the city, you clear them out before anything starts. You don't have the liberal mindset of "kids will be kids" taking priority over safety.They're not just a bunch of kids being kids, trying to act tough. They're wearing the colors with shirts, hats and sneakers. I'm not saying to arrest people for wearing colors, give me a break. But you can move them away from playgrounds where they're in clusters near 2-10 year olds, loitering, cursing, littering, AND going into the public restroom near the tennis courts that I mentioned to sell drugs. It's become so bad there that the village had to lock up the bathrooms earlier. This is not my paranoia, this is really happening. You will NOT see the addressed in the Port Times Record, because this village wants to focus on up and coming restaurants, or who has the nicest garden this season. They will, occasionally address the ongoing issue in upper Port, but that's about it. Don't believe me? Pick up the local paper.
TY for explaining your husband's background. I mentioned that because a lot of suburban adults really do mistake the clothing of kids that is in style to mean they are gansters. Obviously your husband is an expert on this.

Sorry to hear your mayor and local government are idiots. Like Sassberto said we on LI are "late adaptors" to gangbangers. Like I said before I think lighting a fire under Steve Levy's butt may help. Let's see if he puts his money where his mouth is.

Where I live (Village of Valley Stream) this crap does not go on, and like illegal aliens boldly exhibiting themselves on the roadside or single-family homes being turned into overcrowded flophouses, is not tolerated by the Precinct, local Public Safety, local Code Enforcement, the Valley Stream Civilian Patrol, nor the Valley Stream Auxillary Police. Absolutely not. Yet some people would suspect VS of having these problems before they would of PJ because we are close to Queens and we are multi-ethnic and multi-racial. If your Mayor cared, I would tell her to go talk to the Mayor of VS to get some ideas.

You understand the police are sometimes thwarted by the fact that if they are not "doing anything bad" the police cannot necessarily do anything to them immediately. It's a cat and mouse game in these cases and requires long-term dedication and strategy on the part of the authorities.

In terms of "arresting people who wear colors" actually recently there had been a Federal racketeering case against the Mongols motorcycle club which sought the forfeiture of the trademarked ‘Mongols’ name, which is part of the ‘patch’ members wear on their motorcycle jackets. The Mongols fought it and ended up winning in this case.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 06-27-2010 at 10:43 AM..

Old 06-27-2010, 10:37 AM

16,417 posts, read 27,352,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exLI-er View Post
The population of Naperville 250,000 as per our last city meeting. I could really care less if you believe me. In the past 30 years(my lifetime), there have been 3 murders that have TAKEN PLACE here in Naperville.

Crimes I have witnessed on LI? Let's see. I grew up in Setauket. Had a cabbie come up to my door because he was being choked in his car. Had my pocketbook stolen directly out of my car in the middle of the day. Lost a family member to heroin which was being sold by my neighbor. Was exposed to a scary naked man who tried to take me in his car when I was little. Have known over 10 highschool students in the past 2 years either OD or end up in rehab due to the heroin epidemic. Lost 3 close friends in the past due to drunk driving incidents. Had a member of my highschool murdered at West Meadow Beach. A body found in the "pitt" by my house in highschool. A local unidentified body found close to my house in Port Jeff. Had a friend from elementary school lose her sister a few years ago(murdered). Oh, let's see....had a police officer knock on my door when I was a child because there was a murderer killing people up and down Pond Path. SHould I go on?

Your "crime numbers" may show one thing but your real crime is no where near my town. Not even comparable. Throw whatever numbers you want at me. I have seen crime with my own two eyes. Look at what others are writing???? You don't see it?? Gangs at playgrounds. Oh, and don't forget Dunkin Donuts being boarded up last week in Port Jeff due to money laundering. A heroin problem? More like an epidemic(as it is being called by law enforcement). Oh, but wait, you're right. There is not a lot of crime on Long Island. Perfect place to raise a family. All of these posters are just lieing. And this is why it won't get better any time soon.
#1: Naperville has its own prime time true crime show on television so tell me again WHERE is more apt to see crime, so much so that producers put up big money to be onsite and ready to film live there? Naperville or LI? I notice you didn't have the guts to address ME when I mentioned that show earlier in the thread.

#2: Heroin is NOT a problem in most of the high schools of LI, only a tiny percentage, but they get a lot of publicity because people are interested in rooting out the problem.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:54 AM

440 posts, read 902,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
#1: Naperville has its own prime time true crime show on television so tell me again WHERE is more apt to see crime, so much so that producers put up big money to be onsite and ready to film live there? Naperville or LI? I notice you didn't have the guts to address ME when I mentioned that show earlier in the thread.

#2: Heroin is NOT a problem in most of the high schools of LI, only a tiny percentage, but they get a lot of publicity because people are interested in rooting out the problem.
Marijuana and alcohol are the drugs of choice for the high school kids...

Old 06-27-2010, 12:26 PM

1,919 posts, read 4,701,099 times
I agree with Ex LI-er that drunk driving is a problem here. Only in the east end towns have I noticed aggresive measures to prevent drunk driving and their citzens think twice about driving drunk. In Brookhaven township I can't tell you how many times I've seen people obviously inebriated leaving a bar, passing by a cab and jumping into their car. Police cars nowhere to be found except on the weekend at the high profile clubs. Drug use is a concern but it's done behind closed doors. Gang related violence is relegated to very low income towns and certain neighborhoods. You are not going to experience it in the "W" section of Coram which has a significant non-white population. The other acts of crime she stated are rare as the Amy Fisher incident.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:29 PM

1,925 posts, read 3,440,117 times
Quote:

You must have better things to do than go to a Long Island thread to tout how great Napperville is (and how crappy LI is), how little crime you have and how the population is obviously exploding (according to the town meetings anyway).

I am sure you know much more about ALL OF LI than the people that live here every day. You are getting your info from a few posts on a message board - excellent source ! Can you provide any sources that say Long Island crime is out of control? Somehow my 39 years here have been far different than yours - no naked men or people tried to take me away. Sounds like the crowd you hung out with or were exposed to had a lot going for them with all the issues you came up with.

Did you really bring up drunken driving incidents like they don't happen all over the country (except Napperville I am sure)? You bring up the homicides again comparing a town with 144,000 people to a COUNTY of nearly 2 million. Seriously?

Why don't we have our own Crime show like Naperville? Please share.

Oh, and what about the 45 rapes in Napperville in 2005...what happened that year? Or are these just "stats" and not real numbers or people?

As someone else stated, this thread is ridiculous so I will bow out now, I have to go pick up a few illegal guns and move my Heroin stash anyway, thanks for the laughs.

But before I go...

Moderator cut: link removed this one has Napperville at 128,358 as of 2000

http://www.naperville.il.us/emplibra...n%20Trends.pdf this one has napperville at 142,901 as of 2006
Moderator cut: link removed This one has Napperville at 150,618

Moderator cut: link removed This one has Napperville at 147,779

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:04 AM..

Old 06-27-2010, 03:26 PM

2,157 posts, read 6,433,049 times
Quote:
First of all, LaGrange is not considered one of the nicer Chicago suburbs. Secondly, how many homicides has Long Island had this past year?

I live in a western suburb...Naperville. It was voted number 1 place to raise a family several years in a row. Maybe 3 homicides in it's whole history. Comparing Chicago homicide rates to the Chicago suburbs is like comparing NYC to Long Island...ridiculous and not comparable. I live an hour from Chicago. The homicide rates don't apply.
Now it makes sense. Naperville is gorgeous...good choice. If I had to move there it would be my pick.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:37 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,883,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Yes they do have their own TV show featuring crime....LOL.

And according to Ex LIer there is no heroin in Illinois...again LOL.

If they're so happy in Illinois why does he/she spend so much time bashing Long Island????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island